Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Eaten by Zombies!» Forums » General

Subject: adding zombies to the horde...am I doing it wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Genesyx
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As from what I know, you can add a zombie into the horde (on another player's turn) only if the attrition of the zombie in your hand is MORE(not even EQUAL) than the NUMBER OF ZOMBIES in the horde already, correct?

Wouldn't that mean that at the start of day 2 (when you reveal 2 zombies per turn) that the 2 attrition zombies can't be added no more? I'm asking this because at the start of day 2 I can already see zombies clogging my hand with NO way of removing them,thus efficiently making you down with options for the rest of the game.(you can never lose zombie cards from your hand/discard pile right? )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Luxmoore
New Zealand
Palmerston North
Manawatu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
As from what I know, you can add a zombie into the horde (on another player's turn) only if the attrition of the zombie in your hand is MORE(not even EQUAL) than the NUMBER OF ZOMBIES in the horde already, correct?


That's how we play it.

genesyx wrote:
Wouldn't that mean that at the start of day 2 (when you reveal 2 zombies per turn) that the 2 attrition zombies can't be added no more? I'm asking this because at the start of day 2 I can already see zombies clogging my hand with NO way of removing them,thus efficiently making you down with options for the rest of the game.(you can never lose zombie cards from your hand/discard pile right? )


Yep - you can never get rid of the 8/1 zombies, from day 2 on you're stuck with the 6/2 and 4/2 zombies, and from day 4 you're stuck with all your zombies.

Strategically I've noticed players with a fight strategy often back themselves into a corner by gleefully killing the low attrition zombies early when this isn't necessarily always a good idea.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two other ways to get rid of any zombies, including low attrition zombies. First is when you loose cards and draw a zombie from your draw pile. It goes to the zombie discard pile. Secondly, if at the end of your turn you have more than six cards in your hand, you must discard down to six cards. You can discard a zombie card in your hand to the zombie discard pile.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genesyx
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ginarley wrote:


Strategically I've noticed players with a fight strategy often back themselves into a corner by gleefully killing the low attrition zombies early when this isn't necessarily always a good idea.



While I agree it's not the best of interest to always resolve to fighting (fits the theme well actually, since in the movies those that opt to kill always find themselves joining the horde ),IMO it felt as if the "zombie clogging" comes too fast. For me this kinda makes fighting a less "preferred option" too fast into the game. (But of course the preferred option changes with each configuration of cards, which makes this game full with variety )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genesyx
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
Secondly, if at the end of your turn you have more than six cards in your hand, you must discard down to six cards. You can discard a zombie card in your hand to the zombie discard pile.


Thank you! I knew about the "6 cards in hand" rule, but I never thought about discarding zombies this way. The only downside to this method is you wouldn't be able to buy any cards this turn (since you can only buy when you have less than 6 cards) ,which is a good balance to being able to discard zombies
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively you can use Deadeye to kill the zombie in the horde on another player's turn, and replace it with a 1 Attrition zombie

Cameron
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is devious!devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chen
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
There are two other ways to get rid of any zombies, including low attrition zombies. First is when you loose cards and draw a zombie from your draw pile. It goes to the zombie discard pile. Secondly, if at the end of your turn you have more than six cards in your hand, you must discard down to six cards. You can discard a zombie card in your hand to the zombie discard pile.


I thought when you discard cards due to over-sized hand you simply put them into your own discard pile? Can someone confirm this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Holliday
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I missed that when I first read that post!

Whenever you discard any card from your hand it goes to your discard, so if you discarded a zombie becouse of having and an over sized hand it would go to your discard not the zombie discard. A zombie card would only go to the zombie discard if you lost it randomly/blind from the top of your SafeHouse(deck).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OOP's!blush Right, but it does get it out of your hand (for a while).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Holliday
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
OOP's!blush Right, but it does get it out of your hand (for a while).


Yep, as will CoffinNails.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. That seems important. We've been playing that (like losing cards to Attrition) you have to discard Swag and can't discard zombies unless you have only zombies left (in which case you're screwed anyway).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only discard zombies this way if your hand is over the hand limit at the end of the turn.

Cameron
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Huh. That seems important. We've been playing that (like losing cards to Attrition) you have to discard Swag and can't discard zombies unless you have only zombies left (in which case you're screwed anyway).


Yeah, we were doing the same thing, assuming that same rule applies to your hand as it does to the discard pile. (We thought the only way to get rid of a zombie was by placing it into the horde or accidentally when drawing off the top of your draw deck.)

Since they only go to your discard pile, in the late game you are probably only prolonging your pain for a short time...but that might be enough for your opponent to join the International Brotherhood of the Undead before you!
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.