$10.00
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
See my profile to find out what technology has already been fed and added to K-9.
badge
Hard drive is spinning up... WEEEEEEEEEE!
mbmbmbmbmb
neflight86 wrote:
I had an idea like this, but mine involved "unlocking" 'roulette' slots for each space for your Microbadge bar. What I mean is for, say 75 Geek Gold, unlock a single roulette slot in your first, second, ect. Microbadge space. In your profile, you can set Microbadges to each slot individually, and every time your profile is displayed to a viewer, a random selection determines which Microbadges are displayed. Still only five Microbadges displayed, but they are random, as assigned by their owners. It could also allow people to show off more of their Microbadges. I would also design it to be separate 'roulettes' for each MB space, so if you want one or more badges to always display, simply do not assign or buy extra slots to that space. Does that make any sense? If there is no limit to the number of slots purchasable for a MB space, the purchase potential is also unlimited.

It makes sense to me, and its a very intriguing idea. Personally, I like mine being a set series of MBs, but I can see where many others would like this "slot machine" style of semi-random displacement.

It sounds like it would serve a similar purpose, while removing a large portion of the server image display issue, and also achieve the goal of pulling some GG out of the system.

If it were to be created, I would suggest a cost of 50GG per slot. Thus making a total conversion costing $250, and making a single slot more in reach of the casual user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how eliminating cacheing by making the MBs per pageload (or instance on page) will reduce the load on the servers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Crouch
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is close to what I was coming here to post, so I'll jump on here instead of making a new post

While more microbadge slots would be nice, I'm primarily interested in a random microbadge slot. I was thinking along the same lines as a regular microbadge purchase that when selected would randomly cycle through your badges. Alternatively you could just pick a regular badge for that slot and not have the random effect.

If it's not possible to have them be random every load, I was thinking have the server assign new badges to the random slots at some point when the load is low (early AM or whatever it is) and keep the same badges for 24 to 48 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up for another row of MBs!

But do the admins agree that GG inflation is a problem? If they don't, then this suggestion is dead in the water, since it would involve some coding work and increase server load without solving any problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the database accesses for each MB is straining, why not solve it like this?

Each user has a "displayed microbadges" image that is auto-generated each time that user changes what microbadges to display.

When anyone opens a forum page, the page simply accesses the up to 25 different user's respective image, instead of 25x5 microbadges.

Problem then would be the mouseovers and clicks. If that's technically possible to solve (having the mouseover change depending on WHERE the mouse is on the current image), then you could decrease the database access straing to a fifth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
It's not a database issue - it's a page loading issue. There are already tons of elements that we have to load on a page - I don't know the impact of adding potentially 25x5 more loads to a thread page, and who knows how many on geeklists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
It's not a database issue - it's a page loading issue. There are already tons of elements that we have to load on a page - I don't know the impact of adding potentially 25x5 more loads to a thread page, and who knows how many on geeklists.

But that's his point, it wouldn't be 25x5. Each user would have all of his mbs stored in one image file.

You'd be reducing the mb hits per page which currently is 125 hits down to 25.

And, if you implemented it this way, doubling the number of mbs per user to 10 would be irrelevant, as it would still be 1 pre-calculated image per user, it's just a few pixels higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.