Subject: Too much like the second Adventurers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello, I just ordered the second Adventurers and was wondering if there is a need for this edition also. Are they to much alike? Thanks..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
coco123 wrote:
Hello, I just ordered the second Adventurers and was wondering if there is a need for this edition also. Are they to much alike? Thanks..

Really quite different but different in the sense that they are two separate scenarios. The basic mechanics are the same as far as movement and getting weighed down. But what you go through is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian stated it well. The base mechanics are the same, but how you play the game, character abilities, the threats and the timing mechanism are all very different. I think this is a win-win. If your group is used to playing Chac, they'll have a good start on playing Horus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents.

coco123 wrote:

I don't think there's any need to own both games (might as well spend the extra cash on a game that significantly different and will provide a different play experience). If you have tons of cash to blow on games, though (I don't know too many people that do), then the Temple of Chac is really a fun game. A few notches above the Pyramid of Horus in my opinion...but that's partially due to play style and tastes (do you prefer being chased by a boulder, a la IJ and the Raiders of the Lost Ark? or would you rather try to escape a collapsing pyramid, a la The Mummy and/or IJ and the Temple of Doom?

Personally, the Pyramid sounded cooler to me, but I like all the extra moving pieces in Temple of Chac. Plus there's a great Artscow deck for that version which vastly adds to the variety of gameplay (new traps, extra abilities for adventurers, special scenarios, etc.). Likewise, because the Temple of Chac is primarily linear (running away from a boulder), there's a way to play it backwards (with the boulder chasing you the opposite direction) if you were so inclined. You don't have that option in the Pyramid of Horus, though.

All of those differences don't necessarily make the Temple of Chac an automatic addition to the Pyramid of Horus (and vice versa), but they did sway me in choosing to purchase the one over the other.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Petru5 wrote:
Brian stated it well. The base mechanics are the same, but how you play the game, character abilities, the threats and the timing mechanism are all very different. I think this is a win-win. If your group is used to playing Chac, they'll have a good start on playing Horus.

+1
I own & like both, but I think Horus is slightly improved compared to Chac. But YMMV, it's mostly a question of taste.
If you intend buying Chac, you might consider waiting for it to be republished by FFG. There should be "crossover" cards in the re-edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and enjoy both as well. There is one guy in our regular gaming group of four people that really prefers Pyramid of Horus more than Temple of Chac (he feels Pyramid isn't as linear as Temple). The rest of us like both about the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks for all the replies, I think I will wait for a reprint of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atticus Gifford
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
Petru5 wrote:

+1
I own & like both, but I think Horus is slightly improved compared to Chac. But YMMV, it's mostly a question of taste.
If you intend buying Chac, you might consider waiting for it to be republished by FFG. There should be "crossover" cards in the re-edition.

Have you seen anything about an FFG reprint? That would be very exciting if so! Although I doubt the box and insert would be quite as nice as before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm correct, Fred Henry (one of the designers) said that the crossover cards already exist and will be in the re-edition of Chac by FFG/EDGE.
BUT there are other factors of course :
- FFG/EDGE may decide to not republish, for many reasons (marketing, business, giant meteor, whatever)
- Chac is (was) published in the US by AEG, so the "transition" to FFG is probably more complex than publishing Horus (which is "full FFG"), and it takes more time than usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still slated for a Q3 2012 release on FFG website and current status flagged as 'at the printers.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.