Subject: List price $84.48!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Roddy
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature Market's preorder has the retail price as $84.48, discounted to $63.36! With the price point in the neighborhood of Fleet Captains, I'm interested to see how the components compare in quantity and quality...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's just insane..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
R'lyeh
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
From the promo shots, it looked like they were of better quality (painted, at least), but that there wouldn't be that many minis. In fact, I thought only the player Nazgul pieces were going to be minis, but that'd be just a handful -- there must be something in there that's making it cost so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta see this one before I'll even think about buying it at that price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really high cost, hope it comes down, how much content does it bring to cost like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we PLEASE not confuse being painted with 'of a higher quality'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Herbie Hancock: Takin' Off // Art Farmer & Bill Evans: Modern Art // Sonny Rollins: Way Out West
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:

Hmmm. Just off the top of my head, some of the games I own which I consider to be of higher quality because of the painted figures that came with them:

War of the Ring Collector's Edition
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie (plus add-ons)
Claustrophobia (plus De Profundis)
Mage Knight Board Game
Monsterpocalypse
Navia Dratp (plus add-ons)
TurfMaster
Star Trek: Expeditions

If you're a serious painter, I understand why it doesn't float your boat, but for many of us painted figures do mean higher quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Though a point could be made that there can be higher quality unpainted miniatures than painted miniatures and that some people might prefer the higher quality/detailed unpainted miniatures than lower quality/detailed painted miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Herbie Hancock: Takin' Off // Art Farmer & Bill Evans: Modern Art // Sonny Rollins: Way Out West
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iguano wrote:
Though a point could be made that there can be higher quality unpainted miniatures than painted miniatures and that some people might prefer the higher quality/detailed unpainted miniatures than lower quality/detailed painted miniatures.

We're talking about painted vs. unpainted, so I'd assume the figure quality to be the same. Nobody is arguing that they want poorer quality figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roddy
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Game Salute's Jan 14 description, contents include: 170 cards, 200 cubes, and 5 Nazgul figures. Wizkids' Heroclix fast forces packs are around $15-$20 with six or seven figures. Dominion is 500 cards for $45 list, Thunderstone expansions are ~350 high-quality linen cards. El Grande has 160 cubes.

Unless there are significantly more components that we haven't heard about (the GenCon preview shows a map, for instance), I can't imagine what justifies this extremely high price point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Higher quality or not....that's still too high of price for this old man. What market demographic w/money are they looking at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
iguano wrote:

We're talking about painted vs. unpainted, so I'd assume the figure quality to be the same. Nobody is arguing that they want poorer quality figures.

Right, but a comment was made about not automatically equating higher quality with painted figures and I was offering a view to support that.

There are many crappy painted miniature games out there that cannot compare to the quality and detail of many unpainted games with miniatures out there. The same goes in reverse.

Point is, there's a wide variety out there and it shouldn't be automatically assumed that painted figures are higher quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Armydillo978 wrote:
Higher quality or not....that's still too high of price for this old man. What market demographic w/money are they looking at?

Presumably those that bought Fleet Captains and Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iguano wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Right, but a comment was made about not automatically equating higher quality with painted figures and I was offering a view to support that.

There are many crappy painted miniature games out there that cannot compare to the quality and detail of many unpainted games with miniatures out there. The same goes in reverse.

Point is, there's a wide variety out there and it shouldn't be automatically assumed that painted figures are higher quality.

If you want to discuss the quality of figures, feel free, but it has nothing to do with my response to a statement that made no reference to automatic assumptions about anything. Here it is once again:

bchlax944 wrote:

He spoke about 'painted', and I responded to that. You're on your own from that point forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

If you want to discuss the quality of figures, feel free, but it has nothing to do with my response to a statement that made no reference to automatic assumptions about anything. Here it is once again:

Gah - you're right. Sorry - long week, I guess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
iguano wrote:
Sphere wrote:

bchlax944 wrote:

He spoke about 'painted', and I responded to that. You're on your own from that point forward.

The person to whom I responded had said that the miniatures looked better quality than fleet captains, notable because they were painted. Something being painted (especially, in my opinion, by whiz kids, who did quite a poor job with expeditions, again, in my opinion) does not make it innately of better (higher) quality

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowest price I'm seeing is $49.95 from CLS Games in Atlanta (an ad on this BGG page!). Still seems a bit high . . . hmmm, I'll definitely have to play it before buying it. I mean, gasoline is almost 4 bucks a gallon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing the components shot, the price does seem ridiculous. I mean, it goes for about the same amount as the new War of the Ring which has tons of minis, that big beautiful board, lots of dice, etc...

Wizkids has been producing some very good games (even great), but they do seem to be testing the limit on what they can charge for their products compared to their components quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Armydillo978 wrote:

Gotta go along with you on this one. I can't speak for Mage Knight but Fleet Captains was way overpriced and the components were substandard. It looks like Wiz-kids may be trying to start a new trend. Higher prices and cheaper components (or in this case lesser components). If people are willing to shell out the bucks I think you'll start seeing other compamies go the same route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Armydillo978 wrote:

Gotta go along with you on this one. I can't speak for Mage Knight but Fleet Captains was way overpriced and the components were substandard. It looks like Wiz-kids may be trying to start a new trend. Higher prices and cheaper components (or in this case lesser components). If people are willing to shell out the bucks I think you'll start seeing other compamies go the same route.

The reason they have gotten away with it is both Mage Knight and Fleet Captains are regarded as overall fantastic and unique games. If that weren't the case, I don't think they would have gotten away with it. As an owner of both games, I know I wouldn't have paid their price if there was something else out there that was as good that could scratch the same itch. As in the example of Nazgul, there are already lots of good LOTR games and lots of games which would appear to offer a similar experience, so it is definitely a pass for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope everyone understand the price of games using PLASTIC components is only going to get more expensive as time goes on. There's a reason FFG cannot reprint those BB games they did back in the early 2000's again. How about uhm....Battlelore anyone? Everyone does realise what plastic is made from correct?

There's also that little sticking point on licensing the name for their product as well. You think the Tolkien estate hands out those name licenses for merchandise for free??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
I hope everyone understand the price of games using PLASTIC components is only going to get more expensive as time goes on. There's a reason FFG cannot reprint those BB games they did back in the early 2000's again. How about uhm....Battlelore anyone? Everyone does realise what plastic is made from correct?

There's also that little sticking point on licensing the name for their product as well. You think the Tolkien estate hands out those name licenses for merchandise for free??

I keep hearing how licensing fees drive up the cost of the game. There are a ton of cheap or at least decently priced but good Lord of the Ring games out there. Anybody ever hear of War of the Ring? Lots of plastic and an excellent price point, so, try again. It's not licensing fees that are driving the prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:

The reason they have gotten away with it is both Mage Knight and Fleet Captains are regarded as overall fantastic and unique games. If that weren't the case, I don't think they would have gotten away with it. As an owner of both games, I know I wouldn't have paid their price if there was something else out there that was as good that could scratch the same itch. As in the example of Nazgul, there are already lots of good LOTR games and lots of games which would appear to offer a similar experience, so it is definitely a pass for me.

Man when my copy of Fleet showed up I couldn't express enough my dissapointment with the components and then I played the game. I understand that a lot of people love it but I was less than impressed. It wasn't a bad game but it wasn't a great game either and there are many other games I would rather play than that so it was traded pretty quickly.

I am a pretty big Star Trek fan. I have every incarnation on dvd along with all of the movies and a decent collection of books. My problem was I wanted a game where I was able to play a character from the shows and I just wasn't able to immerse myself in the theme as well as I had hoped.

I get people like it and it's really the only game out there at this time other than expeditions, which I liked better because I was able to play a character, but man what a rip off component wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:

This game comes with five miniatures. War of the Ring comes with 204, same universe.

It seems pretty obvious Wizkids is charging higher prices to increase profit margin. And up to this point, it's been smart as both Fleet Captains and Mage Knight were fantastic games that sold anyway. We'll see if this one has the same success. There is no question though they are relying on name branding in order to charge more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
DanKD wrote:

Man when my copy of Fleet showed up I couldn't express enough my dissapointment with the components and then I played the game. I understand that a lot of people love it but I was less than impressed. It wasn't a bad game but it wasn't a great game either and there are many other games I would rather play than that so it was traded pretty quickly.

I am a pretty big Star Trek fan. I have every incarnation on dvd along with all of the movies and a decent collection of books. My problem was I wanted a game where I was able to play a character from the shows and I just wasn't able to immerse myself in the theme as well as I had hoped.

I get people like it and it's really the only game out there at this time other than expeditions, which I liked better because I was able to play a character, but man what a rip off component wise.

I defended the game a little initially as well, but really the components are very disappointing for the price. I do really enjoy the game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.