Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I would like to have my ASL set moderately mobile or at least portions, thereof.

With the duplication of counters- especially the Germans and Soviets, I am sure that many counters aren't really needed since you already have them in BV and RB among others too.

What would be nice is a list for HASL if such a list doesn't already exist of what counters you need out of that module if you have ALL the counters from all the previous HASL modules up to its publication date. Otherwise the travel game gets too bulky to travel with as time goes on if you keep tossing in all the new counters....

With VotG and now Festung Budapest there will be a lot more Sov's, Germans, Rumanians and Hungarians - more than needed for average use or I dare say, ever use.

Do folks just put the extra counters aside or don't punch them until needed? I have at least a dozen Plano 5-34 trays and some smaller ones for other odds and ends, but don't really want to carry 5 trays of Germans to find what I might need depending on the scenario me and my opponent choose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one tray with A-Z of each unit type and put the extras in ziplocs to pull out when there are more than 26 of a unit type needed. Another tray has 6 of each vehicle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Florie
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLNoob wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:
I have one tray with A-Z of each unit type and put the extras in ziplocs to pull out when there are more than 26 of a unit type needed. Another tray has 6 of each vehicle.

How often do you play scenarios that require more than 26 of a specific unit type? I don't think I ever have. Nor would I ever want to!

I would hope that you reconsider that position. There are some fantastic scenarios that use a lot of the same squad type. The First Bid from VoTG is truly excellent. The Capture of Balta also is quite fun to play.

This is ASL however, so there is something for everyone.

As far as travel kits go, I sadly have a immobile collection.

Cheers,

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my travel set:

Seriously though I have a problem in this regard myself. I am going to attend my first tournament in March and have no clue as to what to take. As I will also go by train it means I can't take everything. I have nearly all the official modules and APs, plus a lot of HASLs. The rules alone take up a fair bit of space in a small suitcase, then there are the maps, 12 RAACO trays etc. etc.... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
lichfield
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mark, just take the markers and troop/vehicle types for the scenarios you're likely to play. If a nationality is only appearing in one tournament scenario, don't bother taking it - there will be plenty of people driving to Heroes with everything else. Get some ziplock bags and a Really Useful box (you can get both from W H Smiths, or Partners), or else Hobby Craft do some inexpensive compartment boxes. Just take what you need, and leave the Raaco at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:

Mark, just take the markers and troop/vehicle types for the scenarios you're likely to play. If a nationality is only appearing in one tournament scenario, don't bother taking it - there will be plenty of people driving to Heroes with everything else. Get some ziplock bags and a Really Useful box (you can get both from W H Smiths, or Partners), or else Hobby Craft do some inexpensive compartment boxes. Just take what you need, and leave the Raaco at home.

Thanks, Ian. I am not intending playing in the tournament (maybe the SK tournament if there is one). I have only played a few ftf games (5) and really need some practice with someone who knows the rules well. I guess then I should just bring scenarios I want to play, plus the relevant stuff for those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
CletePurcel wrote:
Here is my travel set:

Seriously though I have a problem in this regard myself. I am going to attend my first tournament in March and have no clue as to what to take. As I will also go by train it means I can't take everything. I have nearly all the official modules and APs, plus a lot of HASLs. The rules alone take up a fair bit of space in a small suitcase, then there are the maps, 12 RAACO trays etc. etc.... whistle

I like your travel set- looks like my collection...

That said maybe there is no easy or one right answer to my question. It is a matter of tailoring the event or game you are planning. Inevitably though when you play HASL the counters get intermixed with "the set" so the pile just grows all on its own with each module acquisition...

A lot of work to play a game... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I were to travel by train I'd take:
Rulebook
20 of each prep, first fire, DM, pin.
10 of each vehicle marker
6 colours of acquisition markers.
Two sets of OBA
Night only if intending playing night. Likewise with boats and aircraft.

Maps...I have a really useful wrapping paper box. It holds the complete map bundle and 6 counter boxes...otherwise look at what you intend playing and take those maps.
Each of my nationalities has a couple of counter tray boxes which come as four to a carry case. If I really wanted to cut down on these I could get:
26 of each type of sqd and half squad. Three of each type of leader. 3 PF all guns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletePurcel wrote:
Here is my travel set:

If going to a tournament, it's my experience you can borrow most things. The "airplane set" that most suggest and I have used with success consists of:

-Rulebook
-Info Counters
-Overlays (that may sound strange, but many are loath to lend them since they tend to get lost/forgotten and really they're small).

Borrowing OBs and boards is usually pretty doable.

My approach is to bring the above if flying. If driving, I bring everything and am happy to lend out. (Never done the train thing.) Enough players have a similar approach that it's rarely a problem to play if you bring your "airplane set."

S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pictures and discussion of my travel set here:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?102694-ASL-Travel.......

Note that this isn't *everything* - I think traveling with everything is impractical, but I can see where for big week-long tourneys you might need to figure out how to do that. I suppose for that I'd look into a rolling-type carry-on bag for added capacity. It would also be a pretty good argument for creating an html version of the rulebook and charts so you could keep it all on an iPad or something equally small.

-N
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nadir_E wrote:
Pictures and discussion of my travel set here:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?102694-ASL-Travel.......

Note that this isn't *everything* - I think traveling with everything is impractical, but I can see where for big week-long tourneys you might need to figure out how to do that. I suppose for that I'd look into a rolling-type carry-on bag for added capacity. It would also be a pretty good argument for creating an html version of the rulebook and charts so you could keep it all on an iPad or something equally small.

-N

I'm impressed! Are you an ex-Boy Scout? They tend to pack tight and only needed/useful items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
HASL is usually the only place where I use more than 26.

j23flo wrote:
ASLNoob wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:

How often do you play scenarios that require more than 26 of a specific unit type? I don't think I ever have. Nor would I ever want to!

I would hope that you reconsider that position. There are some fantastic scenarios that use a lot of the same squad type. The First Bid from VoTG is truly excellent. The Capture of Balta also is quite fun to play.

This is ASL however, so there is something for everyone.

As far as travel kits go, I sadly have a immobile collection.

Cheers,

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blastpop wrote:
I'm impressed! Are you an ex-Boy Scout? They tend to pack tight and only needed/useful items.

No, but I do go camping, and like back-packers say, "Every ounce counts." I think for "game day" kinds of trips this amount of stuff is ideal. When I get to regularly attend expansive events like ASLOK, I'll have to figure out how to expand it to carry more.

@Pup Teevo - there were a couple of folks who used that method (mixing nationalities in the same box) for the very reason you mentioned. The only "down side" is that at times you may end up carrying more than you need, but it's not like that's a huge burden (literally).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLNoob wrote:
But I'm experimenting with placing multiple nationalities in the same plano.

I'm doing a similar thing with my vehicles, all the nationality variants of a particular vehicle go together in a matchbox-sized plastic box, the boxes are sorted alpha-numerically in a tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.