Subject: How Exactly Does the BGG Rating System Work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Roberts
United Kingdom
Colwyn Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ask this after seeing that Agricola has a higher 'Geek' rating than Puerto Rico and I can't seem to fathom how this is calculated.

Agricola's average rating is currently 8.25 based on 22098 votes giving it a Geek rating of 8.166.

Puerto Rico's average rating is currently 8.26 (higher) based on 26059 (higher) votes giving it a Geek rating of 8.164 (lower).

Can someone please explain how the game with the higher rating and higher number of voters ends up with a lower overall ranking?

BTW - I don't have a problem with Agricola being ranked higher than Puerto Rico, I think they're both good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Vuokko
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
I has a monocle!
badge
Ah, a brand new monocle.
mbmbmb
Might have something to do with anti-shill rating system, as Agricola has more 1s than Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If revealed, you will have to be killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the BGG Ranking Algorithm is, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The 60s were not the same without
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
The board system has an algorithm that garbles any attempts to explain how the anti-shill algorithm works. This system is not revealed, so it cannot be manipulated, BUT I can say with certainty that cardboard platypus floodgate zebra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soylent Green fed into the Monolith with a monitoring station in the back of the Mystery-mobile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the BGG Ranking Algorithm is, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

And there is a common postulate that the second theory has already occurred at least 3 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mero Babu
badge
Ashwin messing about on the iPad
mbmbmbmbmb

Pin the tail on the donkey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straight To Hell wrote:
How Exactly Does the BGG Rating System Work?

1. you're not supposed to know exactly.

2. see a page in the Wiki for a start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roberts
United Kingdom
Colwyn Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Straight To Hell wrote:
How Exactly Does the BGG Rating System Work?

1. you're not supposed to know exactly.

2. see a page in the Wiki for a start.

1. But I want to know exactly.

2. I've made a start as you suggest by reading the Wiki and it explains 'Bayesian averaging', which I understand, and it states "In effect, usually the games with many votes will Rank higher than those games with the same Average Rating but fewer votes", which I don't understand (see my original question for more details).

NB - no need to highlight the word 'usually' in yellow, it has been noted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roberts
United Kingdom
Colwyn Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnyMouse wrote:
How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.

How exactly is a rainbow made? It's painted in the sky by the ghosts of a thousand broken-hearted plumbers.

How exactly does a sun set? It's dragged beyond the horizon by the memories of a million disappointed dermatologists.

How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It's pushed through the axle by the wistful regrets of an insurance clerk from Bloomington, Indiana called Roy.

How exactly does the BGG rating system work? Nobody knows. Not even me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Goudeau
United States
Moody
Alabama
flag msg tools
laissez les bon temps rouler
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 3 people understood the BGG rating system:
one has died, the other gone insane contemplating it, and the third was myself, but I have forgotten it.

Note: this is not my quote but a paraphrase stolen borrowed from Lord Palmerston of his reflections of the Schleswig-Holstein question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straight To Hell wrote:
1. But I want to know exactly.
Understanding why it matters which game is ranked #1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.