Popular Tags: [View All]
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb

I discussed earlier in another thread that I was starting to look at moving to a new location and San Francisco was one of my targets. The jobs outlook is great, but the housing is daunting.

My question is. If I was looking to buy or lease a house. Where could I live, and not break the bank? I know it's pricey to live in SF, and I'm sure a place like Pacific Heights might be out of the question. But I see a lot of working souls in San Fran that are in my same boat....where do they/you live?

Danka.

P.S. Good public Schools are in the equation...No ghetto's please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We should talk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the sunset. Relative to the rest of SF, it's pretty affordable, parking is not terrible, and some places even have yards. I'm not an expert on schools, but its definitely not a bad part of town. Its also right by Lowell High School, which is an SF magnet school that I think is very well thought of (though from what I understand anyone in SF is eligible to go there and there is some kind of application/lottery process).

Are you looking at SF specifically or are other places in the bay area acceptable? If so, Brisbane and San Carlos (about 15 minutes and 30 minutes from SF by car, respectively) are also worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Many commute using CalTrain into the Silicon Valley area. Actually, if you live in Mountain View, you'll be close to several Eurogaming groups, particularly Los Altos Gamesday. Lemme know if you can't find their Yahoo Group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mountain View is cool, but I think it is on the more expensive side of the ledger, though I'm not sure, being a serial renter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
cferejohn wrote:

Are you looking at SF specifically or are other places in the bay area acceptable? If so, Brisbane and San Carlos (about 15 minutes and 30 minutes from SF by car, respectively) are also worth a look.

I'd like to live as close to San Fran proper as possible before dreaming about winning the lotto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived in Berkeley in the 90ies when my ex was working on her phd. The schools were good back then, my son went through elementary school there. BART can take you in to SF, but be warned BART is nice, but it doesn't go everyplace. It's not like Boston or NY, you'll need a car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
If you live in the city, you rent. It is close to that simple. There are many fine houses to rent. Brisbane, Daly City, Colma, South San Francisco (which is separated from ST by the previous three), Pacifica, Berkeley, Oakland, Emeryville etc are all within easy commuting distance (ie less than 30 minutes). All of them (even Oakland) have good areas with good schools. The records are public and online.

I am particularly fond of Brisbane. It is small, somewhat insular, rather redneck, next to everything and on the way to nowhere, and consistently 5 degrees warmer than SF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Berkeley, Oakland, Emeryville etc are all within easy commuting distance (ie less than 30 minutes). All of them (even Oakland) have good areas with good schools.

Yes that's true. There are some very nice parts of Oakland. Just be sure if you're in Oakland that you're uphill from I-80.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of several instances where people in SF share rooms (not just apartments, the actual rooms).

I imagine you would be beyond that boat, but that is how many people afford SF with minimum-wage jobs (or worse, or even slightly better). It is common all throughout the Bay Area for people in their early 20's and not in one of the big industries, I understand.

I also know of at least two houses (> 3 BR) of software engineers in their 20s, all in startups, where each room is occupied by at least two individuals. These are in the Palo Alto/Mountain View area.

Edit: sorry if this seems off-topic. I quickly glanced at the question of high rents, and thought it interesting, albeit tangentially related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
If you live in the city, you rent. It is close to that simple. There are many fine houses to rent. Brisbane, Daly City, Colma, South San Francisco (which is separated from ST by the previous three), Pacifica, Berkeley, Oakland, Emeryville etc are all within easy commuting distance (ie less than 30 minutes). All of them (even Oakland) have good areas with good schools. The records are public and online.

I am particularly fond of Brisbane. It is small, somewhat insular, rather redneck, next to everything and on the way to nowhere, and consistently 5 degrees warmer than SF.

Also, they paint the fire hydrants super cute and have a weird obsession with christmas-tree light stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billythehut wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
Berkeley, Oakland, Emeryville etc are all within easy commuting distance (ie less than 30 minutes). All of them (even Oakland) have good areas with good schools.

Yes that's true. There are some very nice parts of Oakland. Just be sure if you're in Oakland that you're uphill from I-80.

I think you mean 580. Downhill from I-80 is water...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth noting that SF has rent control, which means your rent will go up ~1%/year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on where you work in San Fransisco, Alameda may be a good place for you.

Cheap housing in relatively good neighborhoods ... You can take rail or even the Ferry. Talk about a civilized commute ... I had a friend build her social circle around her friends she made with 'the Fairy' people ... i.e. People who commuted on a daily basis using the ferry while drinking lattes and beers during the commute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alameda is indeed awesome and has a good school system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Billythehut wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

I think you mean 580. Downhill from I-80 is water...

Yep, you're right, it's been a long time since I lived in Berkeley. I had to look at a map after I saw your comment. I-80 & 580 merge in Berkeley, but 580 is by itself in Oakland and the hills above it have some nice neighborhoods. The flats below it are a little tougher.

I was living out there during the big Oakland fire. One of my friends lost her house, the firemen made a stand just a few blocks after her home. She decided when she rebuilt she was going to have a fountain made for her back yard that featured three little firemen with fire hoses that surrounded a little house in the center of the fountain. The water pressure would be set so the fire men never managed to reach the house with the water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
jeb123 wrote:
Depending on where you work in San Fransisco, Alameda may be a good place for you.

Looking at zillow, Alemeda does look like more in my price range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
Today, we're all Spaniards!
MWChapel wrote:
jeb123 wrote:

Looking at zillow, Alemeda does look like more in my price range.

Alameda is an island, man — primo zombie defense, if the world ever comes to that. Very few access ways to secure. I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the downside, that Alameda-SF ferry costs something like $8 (edit: $6.25) one-way, and traffic can get heavy into and from Alameda during rush hour (you can only get in and out via a 2-lane bridge and a 2-lane tunnel).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
On the downside, that Alameda-SF ferry costs something like $8 (edit: $6.25) one-way, and traffic can get heavy into and from Alameda during rush hour (you can only get in and out via a 2-lane bridge and a 2-lane tunnel).

That's why you would live in Alameda ... and on Friday nights just walk over to the nearby wineries and get sloshed ...

How much is the bridge toll now ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
$6 during rush hour, $4 off-peak, $5 weekends.

If condos are okay, Emeryville has several nice new ones that are reasonably priced. Between SF and Oakland/Berkeley, best of both worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:

3 2-lane bridges (High Street, Fruitvale, and one other whose name escapes me), but yeah, it can get a little hairy. The Ferry is a way better way to go if you are going to downtown SF. $12/day seems like a lot, but really any commute is going to cost something like that if you cross a bridge and drive a fair distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could tell you to come north of the city, up here to Marin, to share in our gaming splendor, but this is NOT one of the affordable areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
selwyth wrote:

3 2-lane bridges (High Street, Fruitvale, and one other whose name escapes me), but yeah, it can get a little hairy. The Ferry is a way better way to go if you are going to downtown SF. $12/day seems like a lot, but really any commute is going to cost something like that if you cross a bridge and drive a fair distance.

The third one is the tube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeb123 wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
selwyth wrote:

The third one is the tube.

Dolittle also turns into a bridge on the far south side of the island, but it's not convenient from the freeway. Other good things:

* Very close to Endgame, which is a fantastic FLGS.
* Contains the Alameda Naval Base, where Mythbusters do a lot of their filming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.