$10.00
Rin M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I recently started playing Mansions of Madness and I am LOVING playing the keeper. I think I'm starting to get majority of the rules down; however, today we were playing the Classroom Curses story and my keeper setup told me to put a Silver Key, Clue # 3 (it think), and a Dark Room lock card in one of the rooms by the laboratory. Here's where it got confusing: I understand that when an investigator explores a room, all the cards are revealed at once unless there is an obstacle or a lock in which case the investigator first needs to resolve those before exploring. So in the case of the Dark Room lock card which reads that the room is in darkness, can the investigator still explore the room and flip over the other cards during that same turn? I was under the impression that since the card reads that the investigator is unable to see anything at that particular time that it would take another turn/action in order to explore that room further. We were having a debate about it, but since it was getting pretty frustrating I just let the investigator go right ahead and flip over the rest of the cards. You see, I was thinking that there's no point in having the Dark Room as a lock card if it didn't hold back the investigators from exploring any further. I don't know, maybe that's just me but I really thought that since the text read the investigator opens the door and sees nothing, the rest of the cards will remain hidden until he takes another turn or until another investigator explores. Can someone explain to me how this card is really supposed to work, specifically as a lock?

Also, with regards to the event cards. Are the effects, which affect rooms, only resolved at the time the card is flipped over or do they stay active until the next event is resolved? I'm asking this because I know that in Arkham Horror, events stay active until another one takes effect. The guy I was playing with said it resolves during that time that the event card is flipped and then it's discarded. I don't agree with this so I'd like to ask you guys how it's supposed to work.

Finally, the Darkness action card which lets the keeper put darkness in a room where the investigator then needs to test willpower: do they only have to do the check when the card is played? Say I play it on a room without an investigator, if an investigator were to enter that room during the following turn, do they have to do the check or not? I'm not sure about how that works...

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could clarify these things for me. Thanks!! ^~^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
What? You make with the funny stuff?
badge
I don't feel tardy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not 100% sure on your specific examples, but you need to spend a move and explore action to explore a dark room. Therefore, if they had those actions available, they should be able to explore all the cards, that turn. If not, they would have to wait, and spend the move + explore next turn. There are some cards that say the room cannot be explored unless a puzzle is solved, though, so follow that, if that is the case.

Not sure what you mean by events, but they happen and go away, I believe. Any event should be pretty explicit if it is lingering.

Yes, they would do the check, if you just put a darkness token in their room. Along with any other investigator already in darkness.

Hope that helps. Sorry to only provide general answers, but I thought I could answer without digging out my rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hey Rin, I hope this helps...

Dark Room Lock Card: Lock Cards are revealed when an investigator uses a move action and attempts to move into a room with the lock card. In this case, the investigator would attempt to move into the room using a move action, you would reveal the dark room card, and place a darkness token in the room and the investigator moves into the room. Now that the room is in darkness, if an investigator would like to explore that room, they would have to spend a move action and an explore action to do so.

Event Card: the events resolve when revealed. Event 1 would test the dex of investigators in the rooms you choose when the event triggered, not every time an investigator enters the room after that.

Darkness Card: Same as above, test will only when darkness card is triggered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards aren't revealed all at once, they're flipped over one at a time until an something bars the investigator's way. That Dark Room Lock Card should have a wiring puzzle on it, I believe, which needs to be solved before investigators can continue on and explore the room.

Another forum topic just opened up on this exact situation, as to whether or not an investigator's lantern will let them bypass the lock. The consensus in that situation is that it does not--the puzzle must be completed to turn the lights back on and explore the room fully. The thematic reason is that it's too dark to see what you're doing in the room, so you can't explore it, and the lantern gives just enough light to make sure you don't bump anything, but not enough for you to catch every little clue in the room.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/756431/lantern-and-spell...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
What? You make with the funny stuff?
badge
I don't feel tardy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematic reasons, and because it says you can't explore, until solved, right on the card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rin M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks guys! That really helped clear stuff up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.