$10.00
Barry O'Brien
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
So, I'm really not too sure how to deal with the vapor's fate's superior shielding. I played a game with my friend tonight, and he was new to the game, so I let him play wretch.

For 2-3 full turns, I hammered the vapor's fate with everything I had - nukes, double fighter squadrons being supported by my fighter leader, and my carrier, and I didn't even get his shields down - I swear he must have avoided 8~10 hits that would have otherwise been direct hits.

It just seems that the vapor's fate has too much firepower to be ignored, yet it's shielding makes it too tough a nut to crack. How do other players deal with this?

I suppose it's possible to go after the other ships first, but again, it seems like that thing deals too much damage to be ignored. The only times I seem to be able to take it down is if I get lucky with the everest's double nukes.

QQ

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is that the shielding is rather strong, but also very luck-dependant - I've had games where it didn't protect against a single hit.

So you might just have been unlucky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Willis
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found fighters to be the most reliable way- them having more individual shots means a greater probability of superior shielding not working. I'm with haslo that it comes down to the dice- sometimes it's a juggernaut and sometimes it isn't. When it isn't Vapor's fate can't stand on its own for long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's really luck dependent. I've seen this ship taking a lot of hits. Meanwhile I tear down the rest of his fleet and attack this ship only if no other target is in range. That turned out to be most successful.

Another good strategy ist to start the game with squadrons (as ISN player). They're cheap and low-cost activations. The also have a lot of guns. When deploying veteran ships they're really nasty in formations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gonzalez Rice
United States
New London
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only had one play (not counting solo), and we had the same experience as you. However, it was really obvious at the time that rolling "7s" and "8s" over and over was sheer luck.

If you can accept that - "roll with it!" - it just makes things more tense and dramatic. Every "8" roll evinces gasps, hoots, laughter, and maybe some gnashing of teeth from me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Gamer
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
The easiest solution is two buy two copies of the game and use the opposite bases with each fleet and therefore you can play with matching fleets. This also allows you to add game boards and extra fleets (extra players to the conflict). My favorite is to have three players battling at a time, but then somone will have a non-matching fleet. One more advantage of the bigger game board is that it allows Alliance players enough running space to avoid a direct conflict with the Vapor's Fate until you can accumulate some much needed energy for the Alliance ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.