Dark Moon» Forums » General

Subject: first game: great, with only one thing I'm not sure is ok rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I tried for the first time BSG Express with 5 players, and it was fantastic! Only two of them played the original one, and they say that maybe BSG exp. is better than the FFG version!

so cool!!! my reputation in the club is rising!!

I have only a doubt about the possibility to jump for a 4 space with a single hit.

The admiral rolls 1 strong & one weak dice, submit one, without plus or minus symbol.

Ok, probabilities are:

41.6% to submit "1" (5/12)
41.6% to submit "2" (5/12)
8,4% to submit "3" (1/12)
8.4% to submit "4" (1/12)

I know that if a negative die is submitted also negative events happen, but the possibility to obtain a 4 space movement with a single die is too much IMO.

Yesterday it happened at the second jump: admiral rolled "-2" . "+4" and he wasn't a cylon, so booooooing, we jumped from the first space to the fifth (!).

I know that 8% isn't a big percentage, but "6 happens".

17% to obtain a 3-4 momevent on a route of 7 in one hit is too much for me. Even because if I'm a Cylon and I have 2 cylon loyalty cards (it happened yesterday) my only choice is to reveal myself and pass the second one to the admiral to slow down (probably, but not sure) jumps.

What do you think about it?

I thought that "+4" possibility is good to give unpredictability to the game, and that forces cylons to expose and/or create problems not too late in the game...is this the goal?

I'll try next time with the same method, but the +4 will become +3, then I'll post my impressions.

Anyway, this is one of the best surprise I've found on BGG, is fast, is funny and is Battlestar Galactica in every aspect. Really a great work, my rating is 9 without any doubt!

AS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the Flight of the Lawless thread. They are playtesting new characters. Also the jump roll is changed.

-1 is 1 space jump
-2 is 2 space jump
+1 or +2 is a 1 space jump
+3 or +4 is a 2 space jump

Seems like a better jump roll chart than the original
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, your probabilities are wrong, I believe.

I haven't actually read the rules to this game, but I'm assuming that you roll whichever dice and then choose one of the results you rolled.

Assuming a human captain who always picks the best result and rolls one strong and one weak die, you've got a 1/6 chance of getting +4, not 1/12. The only thing that matters there is whether you roll the +4 on the strong die; the weak die doesn't matter.

Similarly, the chance of getting +3 is only a tiny bit less (5/36 instead of 6/36).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on these threads way too often. I just noticed that Ian changed his microbadges.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked the game, air show! Evan did a great job with it, and I hope that it's popularity continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

Similarly, the chance of getting +3 is only a tiny bit less (5/36 instead of 6/36).

you're right about the "+4" possibility (that is 1/6) but there's only a +3 in the two dice admiral can roll, so the possibility to obtain it is the same as the "+4", 1/6.

I had skying in Andalo during these last days, I want to play BSG express soon...maybe with Jason's suggestion!

see ya soon on the BSG exp. thread!

AS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
air show wrote:
Asmor wrote:

you're right about the "+4" possibility (that is 1/6) but there's only a +3 in the two dice admiral can roll, so the possibility to obtain it is the same as the "+4", 1/6.

The +3 will only appear if the other die is not +4, so 1/6 * 5/6 or 5/36 or about 13.9%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Chudolinski
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
I know I'm late for the party here, but we have played this game twice now with my playgroup and in both cases have had two really long jumps. Once we had a +3 followed by a +4, and the other game we had +2 Followed by +4.

I know this is lucky rolling but we discussed exactly what was said by a poster before me. Maybe we should have the +3 and +4 rolls make you jump 2 spaces and +1 and +2 make you jump OR we discussed having to have to stop at the mark where new cylon/not a cylon cards are dealt out, no matter what is rolled.

Great game though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.