Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little background... my current team is fairly young for a corporate environment. Mostly in their twenties or thirties, with a couple of forty-somethings thrown in (I'm one of them).
In our monthly team meeting we try to do some fun activities as well as getting in guest presenters and getting an update from our boss on the ever-changing strategy around the major project we are working on. The monthly team meeting has a different one of us as organiser each month.
Well this month I got the job. I wasn't too keen on having it to be honest as I was just overloaded with work stuff and getting another task to do in an inventive way was not a bonus.
But I finally decided that I'd give them a game of Telestrations as an activity and I'd set the starting words as being some of the standard phrases we throw around at work, e.g. "World Service Portal", "Capabilities Team", etc. I figured the brilliant thing about these words was that most of them were un-drawable, especially with a one-minute time limit and a big black marker on a small sheet of plastic-coated paper, even though these people were throwing around these phrases every day of the week.

Well, it went down a storm.
I began by explaining the flow of the game in a process map. Then we kicked off.
They were begging for mercy from the start. I gave them a rough count-down on when they had to pass their books over to the next person and they were saying things like "Tony, no!" when I said "20 seconds left". Brilliant.
Then went the books got received the room was full of "What the hell is that?" type comments.

Eventually we completed the 8 rounds of draw and guess and revealed the contents of each book. There was laughter. There were tears. There were wild accusations. There was hysteria. There were obscene guesses followed by obscene drawings.

It was awesome.

At the end there were so many comments along the lines of "That was great, Tony.", "Brilliant!", "Amazing!" and "Where can I get that game?!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The story continues here:

Playing Ingenious with Non-gamers in the office - a first for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.