Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I am teaching Power Grid and wanted to know the best map for 6P that are new to it? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan
Argentina
Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Germany
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Benelux is unforgiving due to easy blocking (low build costs allow rapid expansion)
Central Europe and Korea have some oddball rules
USA, Germany, France, Italy are all pretty vanilla,
Chinas okay, but I think the resources get expensive and can run out in the end game, screwing players who are not prepared for it but I suppose players need to learn about that sooner or later anyway.
I've not played any of the other maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality - cheers Paul y Juanito. Germany, France or Italy it is then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought germany was a max of 5 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Germany worked well with six as a starter with 4 non-gamers. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
Only in later editions. Old maps still have six player marked on them. We've never had problems playing it six player.

If you want a tight game with lots of blocking for six players, go with Korea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abravenewgeek wrote:
Hi guys,

I am teaching Power Grid and wanted to know the best map for 6P that are new to it? Thanks!

I would recommend US or Germany, whichever you're more familiar with the geography of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May try the Korea map next time then - cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulclarke339 wrote:
USA, Germany, France, Italy are all pretty vanilla,

I played 6-player Italy in a PrezCon final about 4 years ago and it was nasty. The nature of the board encourages players to cluster up north; 1 maybe 2 start down south, but it's too expensive to expand quickly enough take advantage of the blood letting up north.

It's challenging, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoid France. With 6 players, the 6th player in turn order on the first turn can just sit tight while the other 5 players buy initial power plants and then pick up the baby nuclear plant for 11 electros, gaining a huge advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Karlsen wrote:
jedimusic wrote:
Only in later editions. Old maps still have six player marked on them. We've never had problems playing it six player.

I'm not sure about the German (or other languages), but as far as the English edition, only a single printing (the second one, I think) had a 5-player Germany; all subsequent printings I've seen have had 6-player Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The turn order track for germany only has five slots. on my copy at least. Can't remember if rules specified or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think US map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
The turn order track for germany only has five slots. on my copy at least. Can't remember if rules specified or not.

This is a misprint, happened a few years back in one of the many reprints. The map is and always was for up to 6 players.

cool

Best regards,

Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
I generally prefer Benelux for 6P, just because it makes the game move much faster. The "always trash the lowest power plant" rule basically eliminates the step-2 stall, and cheap connection costs mean that fewer turns are spent accumulating cash. I haven't noticed serious blocking problems.

6P can really drag on on more normal maps. Benelux is designed to play quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cousins
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
abravenewgeek wrote:
Hi guys,

I would recommend US or Germany, whichever you're more familiar with the geography of.

I'm not sure how knowing the geography of a given country affects how well you play that board. In fact, if the city names were dropped from the board, what difference would it make?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And do you all block off the 1 area recommended? We played Benelux with -1 area and it was big-time nasty. Basically, the game reached a state where no one could trigger Step 2 and we had to jump directly to Step 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
And do you all block off the 1 area recommended? We played Benelux with -1 area and it was big-time nasty. Basically, the game reached a state where no one could trigger Step 2 and we had to jump directly to Step 3.

You have made a (easily made) generalization mistake that six players means play with one area less. In fact with six players, you play in five regions. The Benelux map has five regions, though there is the complication that the southernmost has two differently coloured parts. You should have played with the whole map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
RenevB wrote:
endou_kenji wrote:

You have made a (easily made) generalization mistake that six players means play with one area less. In fact with six players, you play in five regions. The Benelux map has five regions, though there is the complication that the southernmost has two differently coloured parts. You should have played with the whole map.

Yes, this is very important. We fell for that on our first play of the Benelux map. There are a specific number of regions in play for player counts, don't assume you can subtract from six on all maps and get the correct number, it will work on most maps, but not all meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
RenevB wrote:
endou_kenji wrote:

Yes, this is very important. We fell for that on our first play of the Benelux map. There are a specific number of regions in play for player counts, don't assume you can subtract from six on all maps and get the correct number, it will work on most maps, but not all meeple

Yea... lesson learned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.