Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
… of some abandoned superhighway.

Talisman, Family Business, Plague & Pestilence those were the games we played back in the day for many days, many many days, years in fact. So about a year ago I decided after all these years that there probably were more newer games that deserved our fun times. That is how I came to a site we affectionately call The Geek.

I looked all over The Geek. There were Army Men, Licorice Buddha's, Pink Camels, Top 10's, Top 100's, Top 52,548…thematically, strategic, etc… Reviews of reviews, comments, etc…

I ended picking up three games from near the top of the lists of best games. Some Reiner fellow's Samurai, the 'deck-building' (whatever that means) game Dominion, and this game called Stone Age that had a beautiful board and all these neat little pieces, some sort of Worker Placement game.

That was about a year ago and Dominion and Samurai have hit the table for many joyful nights.

Stone Age angryon the other hand never arrived at the table. After I received SA, the first thing I did was throw out that faux leather cup which smelled like something a dinosaur left out its backside back in the prehistoric ages. I still cannot fathom where Rio Grande Games found such a foul instrument to include in their games. That took care of that.

I read the rules twice: MATH, MATH, MATH the entire game in fact apparently is just this endless math problem of dividing by resource rolls and in the end multiplying all these different shamans and……let me tell you, I HATE MATH. My father was blessed with incredible math skills, I on the other hand have to shut my brain off, reboot it, and then it starts figuring out arithmetic. So all this did not sound like fun. Also my bro, agreed the board was beautiful, but cave people? Where are the dragons?

So it sat in rest, rust & dust under my bed, and I posted my dislike for the horrid experience on The Geek any chance I got. A couple months later I read the rules again, and begrudgingly put the purchase back into the buyer's remorse—mistaken purchase column.

Two more months passed…decided once again to read the rules again. HOW? HOW! HOW?! Could people find this fun? They must enjoy statistics or some crazy sh___. I have heard of these strange people. I, myself enjoy playing my games with a few good brews and good company. So, I decided I would trade Stone Age. Went through The Geek and tried to find a sucker…oops sorry I mean a fool to get this cruddy Caveman game off my hands for good. Boo hoo, no one. No one wanted to trade some Russian Mem'44 army men for cave meeples. Which is probably sound because everyone knows assault rifles trump over stone tools.

Many more months passed, and we joked that maybe if we actually play this "stupid" Stone Age game we might actually like it. Well, finally last Saturday I buried all my pride and with a good chilled bottle of Momokawa Pearl we sat down to do the unthinkable…we played a game of Stone Age!

Stone Age gets what I believe is the most important trait of any great game it is…[drum roll] DOWN RIGHT FUN! Yes, I said it. I should probably go back and edit all my posts where I talked smack about SA, but I will not.

But seriously, what a great time. A fresh cup of sake at the end of each rounds with a toast for the next we grew our farms and built our tools while our people starved, but we learned how to survive. Rooting for your cave buddies, but in turn also trying to block them from impeding upon your own progress, Stone Age was a great time.

There is nice competition, the dice rolling is fun, and the math part is actually pretty enjoyable playing the numbers game hoping my one lone tool-less cave dude at the stream can find some gold……AND HE DID!

Between joking about the elves disgust of our deforestation or the pleasure when your cave dudes succeed in bringing home to the tribe the prized wooly mammoth meat (sure beats those berries and mushrooms).

So we actually pretended that this Stone Age was in Tyler Durden's vision of the Post-Project Mayhem- Apocalypse days rather than those ancient days of long ago. We had a great time!!! Though it was sad to see the Momokawa go. Also with all the craziness of scoring in the end game (we used a calculator) the game ended up being a win for me by a mere 5 points out of 247-252. That impressed me beyond belief because even though we didn't know, it seemed to both of us I was a little ahead and my friend made maybe one mistake more than me.

But wow WOW! I am truly looking forward to doing this again. Stone Age is indeed a great game and it deserves all the praises it has received including mine.
So if you seen the 3 I rated it before…know now I mirrored that over and now give a solid 8 to STONE AGE, I really am looking forward to playing it again, and again.

CHEERS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review and change of heart. I haven't picked this game up yet. I keep hearing it's a great gateway game, and I would like to get it soon. It's just, besides my fiancé, the other person I play games a lot with has total overly-abundant Analysis Paralysis (even playing Ticket to Ride...) so I'm not sure if I can take the plunge yet as that last turn or two will be rather annoying. I'd like to one day though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the game beats rules reading wow

Glad to see that you've finally got it to the table & found out why it's on all these 'recommend' posts

Quote:
It's just, besides my fiancé

Get it & play with her. It works very well as a 2-player game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
True greatness comes from acknowledging and rectifying one's mistakes. I would tip my hat to you, sir - if I had one

Enjoy the game. And keep in mind that a lot of these games are more about (more or less) thematic problem solving than pure math.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blair46 wrote:
Nice review and change of heart. I haven't picked this game up yet. I keep hearing it's a great gateway game, and I would like to get it soon. It's just, besides my fiancé, the other person I play games a lot with has total overly-abundant Analysis Paralysis (even playing Ticket to Ride...) so I'm not sure if I can take the plunge yet as that last turn or two will be rather annoying. I'd like to one day though.

Even the worst AP prone players don't slow down Stone Age much. There simply is not that much to think about, and what you have to think about is so straightforward, even a Caveman can do it!

Sorry. I had to slip that in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the offtopic, but can you tell what the title means?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Math?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you had a change of heart! It really is a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:

In the movie FIGHT CLUB one of the main characters, Tyler Durden tells how he views the world should be. The idea is a vision of a post apocalypse Stone Age.

Tyler Durden's quote, "In the world I see – you're stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Retheme of the game to post-apocalypse rebuilding rather than ancient history without really changing anything. (I hope that makes sense.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets put it this way my wife really likes playing this game and its a great intro into Euro games. I feel like introducing her to heavier Euro's now will be much easier due to stone age. I love playing too and I seem to be very good at it. We have only played it with two and cannot wait to play it with more people. Lastly, I am terrible at explaining rules and Stone Age is super easy because its all right on the board and makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx. I saw the film, but a I didn't remeber this. I have to see it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Z
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you changed you mind, because it's really fun game.

OTOH I can't understand how someone can rate a game without even playing it ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
fisha wrote:

Tyler Durden's quote, "In the world I see – you're stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Man, that's a pretty obscure reference. After you explain it, it makes sense, but...

Don't get me wrong. I saw the movie and loved it, but that was years ago, and I don't remember that line. Anyway, nice job and thanks for clearing that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
Qbaza wrote:

Exactly. I wish people would stop doing things like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RustyInRT wrote:

Man, that's a pretty obscure reference. After you explain it, it makes sense, but...

Don't get me wrong. I saw the movie and loved it, but that was years ago, and I don't remember that line. Anyway, nice job and thanks for clearing that up.

My friend and I have seen it many times.

"Not the green meeple, anything but the green meeple."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alafter wrote:
Qbaza wrote:

Exactly. I wish people would stop doing things like that.

If a set of rules turns you off enough, I think you can justify an opinion. Usually I don't rate such things, but because I bought Stone Age before I had the rules, I felt I could warn others, so they would not make the same mistake.

Now I rebuke my initial comments.

Julius Caesar I knew was a great game from just reading the rules, and further plays matched my pre-review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Z
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If a set of rules turns you off enough, I think you can justify an opinion.

Your example just proves it to be false assumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, outside of the "Opinion Police" in this thread, I'm glad you gave us the whole story. Your tale is repeated often in the boardgame community on a daily basis - people making judgments on games they haven't played, barely read or understand the rules, and that's just business as usual 'round these parts. Even if they don't articulate it in a thread, I'd guess the "Opinion/Logic Police" here likely jumped to a conclusion before playing a game based on a scanning of the rules. Everyone does it, outside their idyllic sense of themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Well, outside of the "Opinion Police" in this thread, I'm glad you gave us the whole story. Your tale is repeated often in the boardgame community on a daily basis - people making judgments on games they haven't played, barely read or understand the rules, and that's just business as usual 'round these parts. Even if they don't articulate it in a thread, I'd guess the "Opinion/Logic Police" here likely jumped to a conclusion before playing a game based on a scanning of the rules. Everyone does it, outside their idyllic sense of themselves.

Sure, but we don't rate a game without actually playing it. We rate it after we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After I have read a rulebook, if I don't want to play, that is my honest opinion of the game. If I don't want to play, I should not expect to play it and learn more, so it's time for me to rate it. If the game designers don't like that, they shouldn't have let me read such a rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Z
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
After I have read a rulebook, if I don't want to play, that is my honest opinion of the game. If I don't want to play, I should not expect to play it and learn more, so it's time for me to rate it. If the game designers don't like that, they shouldn't have let me read such a rulebook.

But you are not rating a game but rulebook.

Why do you feel at all obligated to rate a game without playing it? Anyway your rating wouldn't be meaningful. The same would be true of the person who tries to post a review of the game without playing it.

I'm pretty sure that BGG community can do just fine without those kind of ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:

Green Eggs and Ham

I always tell my kids to try something before they complain that they don't like it.

To me, basing an opinion on presentation, theme, or rules clarity is like judging a book by it's cover. Unless, of course, that's all you're offering your opinion on.

"Oh look, this game has dice in it. Well, I don't like dice driven wargames so I'll just rate it a 1 ..."

Some of the best games I've played have had some of the most poorly written, bland, confusing rulebooks. However, once played, they were amazing games.

On the flipside, some of the best and most colorfully written rulebooks had the worst games associated with them. The best thing about those games were the box cover art, funny anecdotes, and diagrams in the rulebooks.

If you read the ratings guidelines, they decribe what each rating means. According to those guidelines, if you haven't played it you're not supposed to rate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Elora
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
If you read the ratings guidelines, they decribe what each rating means. According to those guidelines, if you haven't played it you're not supposed to rate it.

Indeed. As I see it, rating/reviewing a game based solely on reading the rules, is much like reporting on the temperature outside based solely on looking out the window. You might be close, but it would just be a lucky guesstimate, and you could just as easily be off the mark by quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:

Where does it say that? The only standard I know on BGG is whether you want to play. If the rulebook turned me off of playing, that's my rating of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The standard that most geeks use is the recommended standards outlined by BGG.

If you'd like to see the recommendations, it's actually very simple.

1. Click on your rating of a game
2. Beside the box where you insert/modify your rating, there's a little blue "i" button. I assume the "i" stands for "information"
3. The recommended ratings are listed there

You can hunt around in the FAQ as well, or do an advanced search (good luck with that, I'm still confused about how to use it) to find out more about the BGG ratings systems, its purposes, it's uses, and whatnot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.