Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Armies of Oblivion versus Partisan and Festung Budapest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been contemplating getting AoO, but am thinking it may not be all that necessary for the Axis minors if one has Partisan and Festung Budapest and just buy the maps from AoO.

AoO seems hard to get hold of and much more expensive than other OOP modules. But OTOH it is the only module I feel I need other than the forthcoming Rising Sun. I have Partisan and have FB on pre-order.

Main concern would be vehicle counters and Chapter H notes I guess.

Anyone know how complete the OB is in FB for use as Axis minor counters in general?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,
I don't think any HASL module purports to have "the complete OB" for any given nation. I have AoO and will not be getting FB (too big and $$$ for me). IMO it is more important to have the core modules than the HASL modules, except as dependency allows.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Tewksbury
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edelrio wrote:
Mark,
I don't think any HASL module purports to have "the complete OB" for any given nation. I have AoO and will not be getting FB (too big and $$$ for me). IMO it is more important to have the core modules than the HASL modules, except as dependency allows.


I tend to agree -- AoO has all the axis minor guns/vehicles and Chapter H notes -- not to be found in any other module.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FB is not remotely complete for Axis Minors. In fact, it includes no regular Axis Minors, only Hungarians. If you have to choose, choose AoO. No doubt in my mind (and I have FB and it is glorious). But core modules should always precede any other purchases, IMO.

S
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, All.

Looks like the quest continues for AoO...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cirillo
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

FB contains the following Hungarian Ordnance and Vehicles:

1x 40M Turan I(r) available for purchase in 2 of the 3 CGs
1x 41M Turan II(r) available for purchase in 2 of the 3 CGs
2x StuG III(g) available for purchase in 2 of the 3 CGs; 1 scenario
2x 39M Csaba available for purchase in 2 of the 3 CGs; 1 scenario
1x 40M Csaba available for purchase in 2 of the 3 CGs
3x 40M Nimrod available for purchase in 3 of the 3 CGs; 3 scenarios
6x Zrinyi II available for purchase in 3 of the 3 CGs; 6 scenarios
2x P obr. 39(r) 76L ART available at start in 2 of the 3 CGs; 1 scenario
3x PaK 40(g) 75L AT available for purchase in 3 of the 3 CG; 2 scenarios
3x leFH 18(g) 105 ART available for purchase in 2 of the 3 CGs
7x Brandt M27/31 MRT available for purchase in 3 of the 3 CGs; 2 scenarios
2xPM obr. 38(r) MTR available for purchase in 3 of the 3 CGs
3x Bofors 40mm AA available for purchase in 3 of the 3 CGs; 2 scenarios
2x Bofors M29/38 AA available for purchase in 2 of the 3 CGs

1x Hungarian Sniper counter
3x Hungarian Allied Aircraft ’44 FB


Additionally, there are a sufficient number of Hungarian 4-4-7, 3-4-7, 3-3-6 squads and their associated HS plus leaders, heroes, lmgs, mmgs, hmgs, radios, field phones, gun crews, and vehicle crews to play a large number of non-FB scenarios.

Also, to be clear, there are no regular Axis Minor infantry units nor non-Hungarian Ordnance or vehicles in FB.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to push FB, I just wanted to clarify what is and is not in the module.

Also, the Chapter H notes for the Hungarian vehicles in FB are available on the MMP website for free download.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Bill Cirillo

P.S. FB does not contain any Hungarian 1/2" SW type mortars.



CletePurcel wrote:
I have been contemplating getting AoO, but am thinking it may not be all that necessary for the Axis minors if one has Partisan and Festung Budapest and just buy the maps from AoO.

AoO seems hard to get hold of and much more expensive than other OOP modules. But OTOH it is the only module I feel I need other than the forthcoming Rising Sun. I have Partisan and have FB on pre-order.

Main concern would be vehicle counters and Chapter H notes I guess.

Anyone know how complete the OB is in FB for use as Axis minor counters in general?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Bill, for your detailed inventory.

I guess my (probably flawed) reasoning was that you could substitute the Hungarian squads, SMCs and SWs etc. for other axis minor nationalities, but I wasn't sure about the vehicles/ordnance. I don't know how much overlap there was in vehicle and gun use between these nations. It looks as though getting AoO is still going to be a priority to avoid disappointment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cirillo
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

Yes, there is a lot going on in AoO with regard to the Axis Minor Ordnance and vehicles. Don't get me wrong, since FB also contains 5-3-7 SMG squads one could use the Hungarian OB in FB as regular Axis Minor infantry. I believe though (off the top of my head) that there are a few different lmgs, atrs, 1/2" SW mortars in AoO that are not included in FB.

There are probably a fair number of Axis Minor infantry only scenarios that one could play, but ownership of AoO would be better if you plan on playing the Axis Minors on a somewhat regular basis.

Bill




CletePurcel wrote:
Thanks, Bill, for your detailed inventory.

I guess my (probably flawed) reasoning was that you could substitute the Hungarian squads, SMCs and SWs etc. for other axis minor nationalities, but I wasn't sure about the vehicles/ordnance. I don't know how much overlap there was in vehicle and gun use between these nations. It looks as though getting AoO is still going to be a priority to avoid disappointment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Gray
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Directly from MMP's website: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/58/CategoryID/4/Prod...

Quote:
Chapter H Supplement – The Chapter H material for those Hungarian Guns & Vehicles included in Festung Budapest; if you don't own Armies of Oblivion you'll want this!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it depends on how pure you want to be. With doomed battalions and BV you'll have most of the equipment notes you need. Mind you, AO
O has some seriously kick ass scenarios.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.