flag msg tools
Some of the new things in Rex

1. The number of game rounds is eight in Rex, Its fifteen in Dune

2. The turn order is changed

Old Order
Storm Round (Bombardment Phase)
Spice Blow (Influence phase)
Bidding Round (Bidding phase)
Revival and movment round (Recruitment, Maneuvering phase)
Battle round (Battle phase)
Collection round (collection phase)

New order
Influence phase
Bidding phase
Recruitment Phase
Maneuvering phase
Battle phase
collection phase
Bombardment Phase

3. Shipment is after movement in Rex.

4. Worm cards are divided into one make alliances card and one "worm attack" card.

5. Brand new cards

6. The map has lesser number of areas and is a point to point map.

7. Its possible to "revive" up to five troops and one leader per round in Rex.

8. Streamlined powers for the factions

9. Optional Rule that makes alliances uncertain

10. Influence (spice) can only be exchanged in alliance phase

11.The price to drop troops are changed. One to drop in empty or own space. Two to drop in enemy space.

12. Movement is changed. Three steps for Sol. Two for the rest of the factions.

I've probably missed some stuff but this is some of the changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some interesting changes. Fewer rounds and quicker revival rate should mean faster recovery (good) and shorter games (good), but it may favor Guild and Emperor as they have the funds to recover their extra units whereas other houses/races not so much.

What is the optional rule exactly? For uncertain alliances? Is that the only optional rule in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay.

The turn sequence is essentially the same except that bombardment (storm) flipped from top to bottom. Also they split out into separate phases some things that were combined before. This seems to be an improvement as sequence of play was a source of rules issues.

Likewise, placing shipment after movement removes ambiguities and also adds some strategy because it makes "blitz" offensives harder.

I suspect the lower number of "worm" cards is because the influence deck is half the size of the old spice deck.

The lower number of areas is fine as the old board had a fair number of areas that typically were unused. Point to point removes ambiguous movement scenarios.

Can't speak to new cards but the revival sounds pretty similar (maybe amped up a little). As to streamlined powers the Lazax/Emperor did not sound streamlined. And I like the optional rule making alliances a bit unpredictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sinkovits
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm most interested in the changes they made to the faction representing the "Fremen." Are they able to now revive 5 units and a leader for free?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Standar
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Paul210 wrote:
I'm most interested in the changes they made to the faction representing the "Fremen." Are they able to now revive 5 units and a leader for free?

The factions revive the same number of units for free as in dune. Leaders are never free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sinkovits
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So reviving up to 5 is possible, though the "Fremen" still only get the 3 for free. I hope we get this in the US soon. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Desarius wrote:
Some of the new things in Rex
1. The number of game rounds is eight in Rex, Its fifteen in Dune

So it would be easier for the Bene Gesserit faction to predict the winner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the rules will be posted soon, so what I'm more curious about are the component changes that won't be clear from reading the rulebook, especially the cards. And are there any changes in the leader strengths?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Standar
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Dolus wrote:
Those are some interesting changes. Fewer rounds and quicker revival rate should mean faster recovery (good) and shorter games (good), but it may favor Guild and Emperor as they have the funds to recover their extra units whereas other houses/races not so much.

What is the optional rule exactly? For uncertain alliances? Is that the only optional rule in the game?

Its the only rule in the rulebook that is written as optional.

The rule for uncertain alliances: Each player receives a secret card at the beginning of the game. If you win as part of an alliance and you have achieved your secret goal, you win alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desarius wrote:
Dolus wrote:

Its the only rule in the rulebook that is written as optional.

The rule for uncertain alliances: Each player receives a secret card at the beginning of the game. If you win as part of an alliance and you have achieved your secret goal, you win alone.

I'd like to see this in action, but I like the sound of this. It encourages solo wins, one way, or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a nice variant for Cosmic Encounter, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the nature of the secret goals such that only one player could possibly fulfill one at any given moment? (like occupying a specific location, maybe?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Standar
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
bhz1 wrote:
Are the nature of the secret goals such that only one player could possibly fulfill one at any given moment? (like occupying a specific location, maybe?)

One or more players could achieve their goals but they have different degrees of difficulty. The one with the highest degree of difficulty is the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone post pics, godammit! angryangry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epee wrote:
Someone post pics, godammit! :angry::angry:

As an incentive, you're probably almost guaranteed to make the front page if you post an image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love all the rule changes. Wish they had mixed up the faction abilities more, if only in the optional rules. I can at least hope for a Chaos in the Old World / Horned Rat-style expansion for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Standar
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
You wanted some pictures! The quality is not the best, but it should suffice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Desarius wrote:

11.The price to drop troops are changed. One to drop in empty or own space. Two to drop in enemy space.

What was the price before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Standar
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
Desarius wrote:

What was the price before?

One spice per token shipped into a stronghold
Two spice per token shipped into any other territory

It did not matter where people had troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Standar
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Hacan and Xxcha faction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Adamiak
Poland
flag msg tools
Ive got my copy.
Which is the most surprising there is... suplemental with clarification and some rules changing. That's probably should be the reason of delay and back to the drawboard of Rex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What were the changes?

Also, coexistence is much much simpler now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can the Xxcha player predict a round 8 victory for Hacaan and overrule the Hacaan player's special victory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Griffith
United States
Monkton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The change to shipping troops bothers me alot. With a small tweak, they just made the game significantly less dynamic. The "rich" factions are instantly more powerful and the "poor" factions just made it alot harder to kick them out of a stronghold to prevent a win. Practically, the cost to ship into most strongholds (since we can assume they're all occupied on turn one!) just doubled. Guild & Emperor love it but the others, especially BG, are probably going to have big problems unless they have been harvesting spice like crazy. Sure, there are effectively double spice blows but they doesn't help everyone evenly.

Most games of Dune I've played come down to a slog into the last stronghold and no one left to effectively stop it, either because they are out of tokens or, more commonly, spice.... and they just made the latter more likely to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I will prefer the new shipping rule in practice. I'm hoping the movement rules are changed to compensate for this though. Maybe 2 space movement for everyone, 3 for Sol? I don't have the game, so I don't know.

The Double Agent card sounds awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.