Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
UndeadViking wrote:
For someone who sports the Anarchist badge, I find it odd that you are seeking some sort of consistency.

That's OK. I don't expect everyone to know the difference between anarchism and chaos.

That's the thing, isn't it? Since we can choose our own definitions, they can really be anything and no one can be wrong.

Not meant to be argumentative, honestly, I just find this thread fairly fascinating...in a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
quozl wrote:
UndeadViking wrote:
For someone who sports the Anarchist badge, I find it odd that you are seeking some sort of consistency.

That's OK. I don't expect everyone to know the difference between anarchism and chaos.

That's the thing, isn't it? Since we can choose our own definitions, they can really be anything and no one can be wrong.

Maybe you should take your religious discussion to RSP. This is the Complaints forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Foster
United States
Davenport
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WTH? Is this serious? Im so confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jfoster1980 wrote:

Yes, BGG is seriously locking people's ability to tip if they say they're doing it as "Statements that abuse, harass, mock, insult, stalk, demean, threaten, or otherwise belittle another user, directly or indirectly, explicitly or implicitly, even if the other user started it, and even if you think the other user deserves it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
jfoster1980 wrote:

Apparently tipping .01 GG is the same as calling someone's post stupid (I hadn't picked up on that myself). Someone made the mistake of saying so on his profile and is not allowed to tip any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
quozl wrote:
John Snyder wrote:

"Now my ability to tip has been completely removed, because my user profile says that "If I tip you 0.01 GeekGold, I think your comment was foolish, ignorant or inappropriate."

Is that true? If so, this is my official complaint of such a stupid petty practice.

OK, sincere questions for you, because I'm sincerely not sure I grok where you're coming from (e.g. you said that you think his behavior was "courteous", which I find unfathomable):

1. Are you objecting specifically to the removal of his ability to tip? Or do you think any kind of admin action at all was uncalled for?

2. Suppose he tipped 0.01 to these comments as has historically happened, but his profile said something more like this: "If I tip you 0.01 GeekGold, I think you are a retarded stupid moron with your head up your ass." Would you object to admins removing his ability to tip? Would you think any kind of admin action at all was uncalled for?

3. Suppose that instead of tipping 0.01 on comments, he directly replied in the thread, quoting the comment in question and adding his own comment (which is what his profile says): "I think your comment was foolish, ignorant or inappropriate." Would you consider that courteous? Would you think any kind of admin action at all was uncalled for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
OK, sincere questions for you, because I'm sincerely not sure I grok where you're coming from (e.g. you said that you think his behavior was "courteous", which I find unfathomable):

1. Are you objecting specifically to the removal of his ability to tip? Or do you think any kind of admin action at all was uncalled for?

2. Suppose he tipped 0.01 to these comments as has historically happened, but his profile said something more like this: "If I tip you 0.01 GeekGold, I think you are a retarded stupid moron with your head up your ass." Would you object to admins removing his ability to tip? Would you think any kind of admin action at all was uncalled for?

3. Suppose that instead of tipping 0.01 on comments, he directly replied in the thread, quoting the comment in question and adding his own comment (which is what his profile says): "I think your comment was foolish, ignorant or inappropriate." Would you consider that courteous? Would you think any kind of admin action at all was uncalled for?

Cool!

1. Yes
2. Yes, I'd object to removing his ability to tip. It's not the tipping that is the problem. The problem is what's in his profile. Deal with the problem.
3. No, I wouldn't. I think what he was doing was courteous because he didn't call attention to the fact that he thought it was foolish but just gave a tip. As for admin action, it's like arresting people for giving homeless people money if they're wearing a shirt that says "If I give you money, I want to kill you." It's the shirt that's inappropriate, not the giving of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
quozl wrote:
It's not the tipping that is the problem. The problem is what's in his profile. Deal with the problem.

Aha, so I'm grokking where you're coming from better now, thanks.

Quote:
I think what he was doing was courteous because he didn't call attention to the fact that he thought it was foolish but just gave a tip.

To me, it is still discourteous. It seems like passively aggressively snarking at people behind their back, yet also making it sufficiently obvious that you're doing it and indeed evidently hoping that some of them will realize it (else why explain it in your profile?)

Quote:
As for admin action, it's like arresting people for giving homeless people money if they're wearing a shirt that says "If I give you money, I want to kill you." It's the shirt that's inappropriate, not the giving of money.

Agreed that giving money is not the problem.

But I note that wearing a shirt like that while tipping people would seem discourteous to me. Would you wear such a shirt while giving out money to strangers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it looks like we're agreed that the person was acting inappropriately and BGG also acted inappropriately. Since I can't complain about other people's behavior here, I came to complain about what BGG has done.

I hope my complaint has been heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
Golux13 wrote:

That raises a question (which is probably unanswerable): Are there any consequences for abusing the red-X flagging system? This is the Internet, which is made of assholes, so it's reasonable to assume that there are people who make a habit of flagging comments for spurious reasons. Do they ever get disciplined?

Beyond the personal use of hiding the post, the only use of the X is to report something to the forum moderators. If someone consistently reports things that don't need reporting we can have that person's flags not contribute to the report. The personal use will still function normally.

It takes a lot to constitute abuse - we're talking dozens of flags for no good reason in a short period of time. And even then it's usually ignored for only a day or so. Most often it's because someone is on a short-lived flagging spree with a vendetta against another user.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Adelson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Well, I see the otherness of being other is otherwise contraindicated
badge
Who cares where it came from or whether it's correct or not? Certainly not me
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Beyond the personal use of hiding the post

-MMM

That is not how the Red X instructions for "rules violation" read. If I flag a perceived violation, and enough people do the same, the post is hidden from view from anybody whose threshold for viewing is set appropriately. How that (and I direct this at an earlier poster who disagreed with my assessment) is not an anonymous thumbs down is entirely unclear to me. There are a great many people here who don't play with their Red X thresholds, I'm almost certain. So if three people flag a rules violation, but the administrators don't find a post to be violating any rules, how is that handled for those users who don't see anything with 3 or more "class 1 felony red Xs?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Roberts
United Kingdom
Colwyn Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never heard of this John Snyder fellow, so I decided to visit his profile to see for myself exactly what all this hullabaloo is about.

My research found no mention of GeekGold, or indeed any rationale for the distribution of this imaginary currency.

I did however discover that John is a fan of Neil Diamond.

Do I have the correct John Snyder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
So if three people flag a rules violation, but the administrators don't find a post to be violating any rules, how is that handled for those users who don't see anything with 3 or more "class 1 felony red Xs?"

It is rare for the threshold to be reached and for the post to not at least be borderline. If this becomes a problem in the future we'll cross that bridge then.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Are You Not Entertained????
mb
I think this is going to end up like the 1980's "Man wearing an earring in the RIGHT ear vs wearing an earring in the LEFT ear" sort of thing.

"I'll tip him .01 , that'll show him. But do I thumb him also? Or maybe he'll think its ironic? ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

I know- I'll make 5 tips to show I hate the guy! THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!!!!!! And then, I'll have to buy more geekgold from Aldie.....!

HEY! That's the ticket! Get it so that you have to spend MORE with Aldie!! Everyone wins!!!

*lol*

This too shall pass.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm the stupid one, but I never heard of, and never thought of that giving 0.01 is a negative thing.

I used this "normally". Poor guys now think I hate them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
horlaci wrote:
Maybe I'm the stupid one, but I never heard of, and never thought of that giving 0.01 is a negative thing.

It's not a negative thing. If someone explicitly states on his/her profile that a .01 tip is intended as an insult then that's an issue. This isn't the first time we've disabled tipping until such statements have been removed. I don't imagine it will be the last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
horlaci wrote:

It's not a negative thing. If someone explicitly states on his/her profile that a .01 tip is intended as an insult then that's an issue. This isn't the first time we've disabled tipping until such statements have been removed. I don't imagine it will be the last.

It wasn't a negative thing before, but it will be now that the cat is out of the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Are You Not Entertained????
mb
So, can we can get a Microbadge for this?

Something like- I'm a Misanthropic Tipper?

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
horlaci wrote:
Maybe I'm the stupid one, but I never heard of, and never thought of that giving 0.01 :gg: is a negative thing.

Isn't the simple solution to have a permanent green thumb applied by a user who tips any amount?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
So it looks like we're agreed that the person was acting inappropriately and BGG also acted inappropriately.
In this instance, I don't see that BGG acted inappropriately.

The problem was with what was written on the profile page about the use of GG for tips. Someone threatens to shoot someone, you take away their gun. You don't chastise them for choosing their words poorly. Same thing here. The power is in taking away the tool by which they were mocking others. Simple solution (though I like my "force a green thumb" notion even better).

Personally, I've seen 0.01 tips a lot and always thought it was just someone's way of saying "good job, but I always pick the low GG tip when I give money away." Never thought of it as a dig at someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, and the tool they were using to mock others was their profile page, not their tipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
I've been tipping .01[gg] without thumbing for ages now. But I didn't explain it. Figured people would either get the hint, or not, without my needing to say anything.

Lol. I always assumed that a $.02 [gg] tip kind of meant that. As in, "Well, that's your $.02."

I mean, why else would it go:

.01 GeekGold
.02 GeekGold ???
.05 GeekGold
.25 GeekGold
1.00 GeekGold
5.00 GeekGold

Because of this, I've been pretty careful about not giving people $.02 tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zarathustra
United States
Atchison
Kansas
flag msg tools
Der der der der der der der der der
badge
Become who you are!
mb
The level of ironic tipping in this thread is reaching critical mass. The next step is to post simply in order to receive a tip.

By the way, I hear tipping $5 is the truest insult because you are saying that the person is poor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjro wrote:
The level of ironic tipping in this thread is reaching critical mass. The next step is to post simply in order to receive a tip.

By the way, I hear tipping $5 is the truest insult because you are saying that the person is poor.

Hah hah! You're poor.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Hah hah! You're poor.

That's really rude, kicking a man when he's down like that. I disapprove!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.