$10.00
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
INSPIRATION

A few years back I stumbled upon some images of Mario PitchKart variants that had been created by a couple of BGGers. The earliest images of a Mario PitchKart variant appear to have been submitted by...

Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The idea appears to have then been taken and expanded upon by a couple of other BGGers, including...

Grognard David
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I drew inspiration for my own variant from this BGGer, particularly from his reply to this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/417196/mario-kart-varian...

From the moment I found these I began to develop my own Mario PitchKart variant, and to collect and create the necessary components. And now, a few years later, this project is finally complete and I am ready to share my creation with the world my fellow BGGers.

COMPONENTS

To save myself some repetition while describing my custom-made components, I'll mention that the labels on the various components were created using images taken from Davestar2's files and from Google images, printed onto label paper, sprayed with Krylon Krystal Clear for protection, cut out (with standard scissors!), and stuck onto the components.

All the round tokens (character carts and activated Green, Red, and Leader Shells) were made from a set of Crokinole tokens (purchased separately, without the board!) that I spray-painted in the appropriate colours.

For the square tokens I was originally thinking about using Scrabble tiles, however it turns out those aren't particularly square. Fortunately I had a huge supply of better-shaped wood tokens from the game Booty, so I spray-painted a bunch of those too.

The dice were pillaged from various thrifted games, such as Yahtzee Jr..

The item cubes were made from some small, purple plastic cubes that I acquired. I don't have them in front of me right now, but I think they must be about 5mm.

The green, red, blue, black, yellow, and "banana-like" glass tokens to represent armed items (for kart protection), banana peels (for obstacles), and Squid ink (for reference) on the track were obtained from the floral section of my local Michael's craft supply store.

I created the lap tracker, points chart, kart item boards, and position/dice reference tracks out of foam board.

The item reference cards were simply stuck onto bristol board and cut out.

In addition to the Mario PitchKart-specific alterations, I also used 30-minute epoxy to glue the rails that would never have to be removed for different track configurations in place:

I also keep an old deck of cards with the rest of the components in order to shim the track sections so that karts glide relatively effortlessly across the track without flipping off every which way, causing great consternation and gnashing of teeth.

And finally, I obtained a plastic box that was large enough to hold all these components and made a nice little label for it:

I think that covers all the bits. Next I'll copy-and-paste the game rules, and then finish up with some final thoughts.

COMPLETE GAME RULES

COMPONENTS

-wooden track pieces and plastic rails from PitchCar, PitchCar Extension, and PitchCar Extension 2
-deck of cards for shimming track pieces
-8 original wooden car tokens
-8 wooden kart tokens
-8 square wooden kart tiles
-6 dice (1 black, 1 white, 1 dark blue, 1 yellow, 1 light blue, 1 red)
-15 purple plastic item cubes
-12 round wooden Green Shell tokens
-12 square wooden Green Shell tiles
-12 glass Green Shell tokens
-5 round wooden Red Shell tokens
-5 square wooden Red Shell tiles
-5 glass Red Shell tokens
-5 round wooden Leader Shell tokens
-5 square wooden Leader Shell tiles
-5 glass Leader Shell tokens
-12 square wooden Banana Peel tiles
-16 glass Banana Peel tokens
-9 square wooden Star tiles
-12 square wooden Speed Mushroom tiles
-6 square wooden Squid tiles
-6 glass Squid tokens
-3 square wooden Bullet Bill tiles
-11 item reference cards
-1 foam board lap tracker
-1 yellow glass lap token
-1 foam board points chart
-8 foam board kart item boards
-6 foam board position/dice reference tracks
-4 rulebooks (including this one)
-1 plastic storage box

AIM O’ THE GAME

If playing with 1 kart per player, be the first to cross the finish line. If playing with more than 1 kart per player, accumulate the most points by finishing in high positions with your karts.

SETUP

Make a track. Use a pre-existing design from one of the rulebooks or be creative and make your own, go big or keep it small and tight - it’s up to you! Use the deck of cards to shim sections of the track where there is any increase in elevation going from one section to the next so that kart tokens will pass smoothly along the track. This part is a little time-consuming, but well worth the decrease in frustration during the race!

Each player chooses a character, takes the kart token and kart tile for that character, and takes a kart item board. Place the kart tile in the far left ("CHARACTER") slot of the kart item board. If players are racing with more than 1 kart each (which is possible if there are 4 or fewer players), they do this for each of their characters.

Take the position/dice reference track that corresponds with the number of karts in the race and place it near the track. Take the dice that match the colours on the position/dice reference track and place each die to the left of its colour on the track.

Place the 11 item reference cards near the track. Place all the Green, Red, and Leader Shell tokens and tiles, the Banana Peel and Squid tiles and tokens, and the Star, Speed Mushroom, and Bullet Bill tiles near their corresponding item reference cards.

Place the lap tracker near the track and place the lap token on "1". Players decide how many laps the race will last (keeping in mind the size of the track, of course!).

Place the score board near the track.

QUALIFYING

To determine the starting positions on the track, each kart participating in the race must take a turn to qualify. Place the kart behind the start/finish line and make up to 2 flicks. If the kart does not flip upside-down or leave the track after 2 flicks, place the kart next to the track at the point on the track at which it came to rest.

If the kart flips upside-down on the first or second flick but remains on the track, place the kart next to the track at the point on the track at which it came to rest and do not make any further flicks.

If the kart leaves the track on the first or second flick, place the kart upside-down next to the track as close as possible to the point at which it left the track and do not make any further flicks.

Arrange the karts that are right side up in their starting positions behind the start/finish line in order of the kart that has advanced furthest along the track to the kart that has advanced least far along the track. Then arrange any upside-down karts in starting positions behind those karts in order of the kart that has advanced furthest along the track to the kart that has advanced least far along the track.

Place the kart item boards to the right of the position/dice reference track according to their corresponding karts’ qualifying positions.

Place the item cubes in groups of 5 on the track. If the track is short use a single group of 5 item cubes, if it is a medium length track use 2 groups of 5 item cubes, and if it is a long track use 3 groups of 5 item cubes.

Now you’re ready to start racing. Giddy up!!

THE RACE

Turns

Each game round, every kart will get to take a turn in order of the karts’ track positions at the beginning of the round (as indicated by the kart item boards next to the position/dice reference tracks). On a kart’s turn, the player controlling the kart makes 1 flick in any direction (even backwards if the player is feeling particularly kooky!).

If the kart flips upside-down but remains on the track, leave the kart upside-down. On the kart’s next turn, all the player may do is turn the kart right side up and leave it in its current position.

If the kart leaves the track, place the kart next to the track beside the section of track from which it was flicked. On the kart’s next turn, all the player may do is place the kart back on the track anywhere on that section of track.

Items

If, during the course of the kart’s movement, the kart touches an item cube, the player will roll an item die if the kart does not flip upside-down or leave the track during the movement, if that kart doesn’t already have an item token in the "CARRYING" section of its kart item board, and if the kart hasn’t already picked up an item this turn.

The colour of die rolled corresponds to the kart item board’s current location next to the position/dice reference track. During the course of an individual kart’s turn, it might pass another kart and contact an item cube with the same flick, but the item die that is rolled is based on the kart item board’s current position next to the position/dice reference track - which is adjusted at the end of a complete game round - and not necessarily the kart’s actual track position. (The dice for karts that are further ahead on the track provide weaker items than the dice for karts that are further behind on the track.)

When the item is rolled, take the corresponding item token(s) and place them in the "CARRYING" section of the kart item board. In the rare event that the item rolled does not have any tokens currently available, re-roll the same die until an item is obtained for which there are tokens available.

If an item has an "ARMED" special ability, the item may be armed as soon as it is picked up if the player wishes to do so. Move the token(s) over to the "ARMED" section of the kart item board and follow the instructions on the item reference card. (An armed item corresponds to holding down the controller button in the video game in order to have the item behind the cart, providing some protection.)

The top of the "ACTIVATED" section of the item reference card states whether the item can be activated before and/or after movement. If the item can be activated after movement, the player may activate it as soon as it is picked up if the player wishes to do so. Move the token(s) over to the "ACTIVATED" section of the kart item board and follow the instructions on the item reference card.

If a kart that has one or more items on its kart item board leaves the track or gets flipped upside-down either during the course of its own movement or as a result of being struck by another kart or shell, all items on its kart item board are discarded unless otherwise stated on the corresponding item reference cards. (Armed Bananas stay in place on the track; armed Shells are discarded.) If a kart is knocked off the track by another kart or a shell, place it next to the track segment behind the one from which it was knocked off. On the kart’s next turn, all it can do is be placed anywhere on that track segment.

Item cubes that have been contacted by karts are left where they are on (or off) the track until the end of the current game round. Item cubes may be contacted by karts to obtain an item no matter where they end up, as long as they are still on the track.

A kart may pick up only 1 new item per turn, even if it activates an item immediately upon obtaining it and gains additional bonus movement.

End of game round

When every kart has taken its turn, the kart item boards are adjusted next to the position/dice reference track according to the karts’ current positions on the track. If any karts left the track that turn and are thus sitting next to a track segment, if there are 1 or more other karts on that particular track segment, the karts currently on the track are considered to be ahead of the karts that are waiting to come back on. If more than 1 kart is waiting to come back on to the same track segment, the kart that left the track first is considered to be ahead (and is thus placed on the track segment before the others during the next game round).

Any item cubes that were contacted during the game round are reset to their original positions.

Advance the lap token on the lap tracker if the lead kart has crossed the Start/Finish line.

The player whose kart item board is in the #1 position then takes the first turn, and a new game round has begun.

Race end and scoring

As karts cross the finish line on the final lap of the race, place the kart tokens next to the points chart in the positions they finish until all karts have crossed the finish line. If the players were racing with only 1 kart each, these final positions determine the results of the race. If the players were racing with more than 1 kart each, they must refer to the points chart to determine the total points accumulated based on the finishing positions of the karts. The player with the most points wins the race and the undying esteem of all the other Mario PitchKart participants!

ITEMS

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS

The functions of several of these items have changed a fair bit from my initial concept, since at first I was trying to be more "true" to the video game. For example, contact with a banana or a shell token would cause the kart to be flipped upside down and the token removed from play. However, I thought simpler rules would be more in keeping with the spirit of the original game, and more importantly, I wanted the item rules to be more geared toward the "feel" of a dexterity board game rather than a video game. So ultimately I chose to use bananas more as track obstacles and fired shells to take out opposing karts only if the shooting player was skilled enough to make the shot happen.

Well, after those countless hours of work, I'm very happy that there is a forum such as BGG that allows me to show off what I've created, and I hope it gives you some pleasure (and perhaps inspiration!) to see the finished product. So thank you so much for taking the time to check all this out! Now I, for one, am durned sick of Mario PitchKart, so I'm going to finally put it behind me and move on to my next major project...

See you then!! ninja
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Robot
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You have done something truly amazing here. Hurry and put up the files so I can have my own.Hurry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mb
This is amazing, nice job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure I could bring myself to play it, but can I just say WOW!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant is amazing, had the pleasure of playing it and I can say that it has ruined me from play the plain old regular version of Pitchcar!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Andrews
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo Paul's words. Honestly, I even had a dream playing MarioKart PitchCart, since playing this game. Its a perfect marriage of childhood video game with the tactile board game experience. Well done. Looking forward to the next play. And next time Tanya wants in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Cooper
United States
Fruitland Park
Florida
flag msg tools
Congratulations! You've found OverText.
badge
Well looky there, more OverText.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome! wow

Please post some files so the rest of us can try this out. Please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, this is awesome!! great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work, looks more finished than my old project. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for your very kind words!!

sandmaker wrote:
This is awesome! wow

Please post some files so the rest of us can try this out. Please

The files aren't particularly well organized, but when I have a few minutes I'll take a look over them and see what I can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant. My 9 year old Mario loving son would so get into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is such a fantastic mod. I am weeping with jealousy. Congrats on great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Drouin
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, undeniably, brilliant mate.
Top work indeed!

Cheers,
Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WoW!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boromir_and_Kermit wrote:
Absolutely, undeniably, brilliant mate.
Top work indeed!

Cheers,
Ben.

Thanks so much, Ben!

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredible!!! Hats off to you sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go Pats!
badge
My awesome son =)
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic! Too bad I'll never make one. Um...wanna trade it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayolas wrote:

Sure, I'll trade it...

...for one billion dollars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go Pats!
badge
My awesome son =)
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
Jayolas wrote:

Sure, I'll trade it...

...for one billion dollars!

Would you settle for sharks with flickin' laser beams on their heads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey... You should Pitch it for the PitchCar manufacturer. Neat idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, this is damn impressiive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sa-weet! Are these stickers and such easily downloaded from somewhere, or a geek file?

Good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rothschuh
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this a few days ago (with a little simpler item rules), and it's so much fun!

Most notably: the distribution of the items on the dice depending on the current position in the race (1st through last) counteracts the runaway leader problem that Pitchcar can have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Just had this pointed out for me. Thank you for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.