Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
212 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [9] | 

Alien Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: Mirthworks beta open rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piotr Burzykowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, I've just sent you an invite.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would focus on beta testing more than winning at this point.

The first game I got a move in, both other players had rolled doubles and gone for extra ship.


I figured there was only a 17% chance or so of that happening if the dice had been random.

It is what it is. Name players will just make it degenerate quickly, unless you have some method of ascertaining who cheats other than odds.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Burzykowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure the concept of "cheating" can apply to software testing. You do what the game lets you do. If it lets you or another player do something which is at odds with the rules of the boardgame (an exploit), you send a note to the developer describing the issue, who'll log the bug and try to fix it in the next version.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, he speaks of re-rolling until one gets EXACTLY the right dice for their situation.

But see my comment above, which is essentially in agreement.

However, some will say "why bother to playtest at all under those conditions?"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a bug in the game and am so fed up with the stupid UserEcho site that I will report it here instead. I used the Orbital Teleporter to re-use a die already used in the Solar Converter, and the game incorrectly allowed me to put it right back at the same orbital facility.

Edit: Two more bugs related to the Orbital Teleporter. In another game I miss-clicked on the wrong orbital facility, one where I had no ships docked, then clicked on the right facility and the power was no longer available to use. However, and here's the next bug, I was able to use the ability again by paying its cost a second time.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hansen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
I found a bug in the game and am so fed up with the stupid UserEcho site that I will report it here instead. I used the Orbital Teleporter to re-use a die already used in the Solar Converter, and the game incorrectly allowed me to put it right back at the same orbital facility.


Sorry if the feedback tool is proving frustrating. I made note of the issue you raised and we will address it as soon as we can.

Also, we will be addressing the refresh -> Re-roll issue very soon.

Thanks,
Mike
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Burzykowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
Of course, he speaks of re-rolling until one gets EXACTLY the right dice for their situation.

But see my comment above, which is essentially in agreement.

However, some will say "why bother to playtest at all under those conditions?"

It's everyone's personal decision. My motivation is to help Mike and his team release the best browser version of Alien Frontiers. As long as a bug doesn't prevent me from playing the game for technical reasons, I'll carry on testing and logging bugs, even if the other testers refresh the page to get the results they want on the roll.

However, I do understand that some testing conditions and bugs may be too frustrating for people who just want to have a good time while playing the beta. This may be the reason why I have 10+ games in which the other players have not made their moves in 2 days.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Burzykowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
On a lighter note: who's up for a quick game? Username: locworks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mihola
Austria
Wolkersdorf
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick question regarding etiquette: If I understand it correctly, the game is implemented in such a way that is is possible to play either "real-time" (I am standig by while you take your turn and take mine as soon as you are finished) or "turn-based" (I take my turn and then leave, to return at some later time to see if have taken your turn in the meantime).

So it is much like yucata.de in that respect, correct?

I haven't found any in-game chat function yet (is there one?), so (in contrast to yucata.de) there is now way of telling the other players that I have to leave, when I will be back, etc.

So my question: I hope I am not offending anyone if I take a few turn here or there but then go away for a few hours (or days, as the case will be)?

Any comments on Alien Frontiers online etiquette are welcome!

David

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hansen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmihola wrote:
Just a quick question regarding etiquette: If I understand it correctly, the game is implemented in such a way that is is possible to play either "real-time" (I am standig by while you take your turn and take mine as soon as you are finished) or "turn-based" (I take my turn and then leave, to return at some later time to see if have taken your turn in the meantime).

So it is much like yucata.de in that respect, correct?

I haven't found any in-game chat function yet (is there one?), so (in contrast to yucata.de) there is now way of telling the other players that I have to leave, when I will be back, etc.

So my question: I hope I am not offending anyone if I take a few turn here or there but then go away for a few hours (or days, as the case will be)?

Any comments on Alien Frontiers online etiquette are welcome!

David



David,

You are correct in your understanding. The game knows if the player has the client up and sends a notification in game to take their turn. If they do not have the client up they get an e-mail with the turn notification.

We have lots of features are are looking to roll out now that we have some feedback on what is working well and what is not. Many of these are aimed at increasing the usability of starting a game and communicating with others within the game. Chat is part of that. So is addressing the "I have to leave, I will be AFK, etc".

The folks in the beta have been friendly and active with feedback. I would not worry too much about etiquette just yet. I do not think many folks will be offended as we evolve the system.

Thanks,
Mike
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
locworks wrote:
On a lighter note: who's up for a quick game? Username: locworks

Piotr, please take a look under your Inactive Games tab, as it's been your move for 3 days now in our two 2-player games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hansen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several bug fixes just went in, including the prevention of the refresh/reroll. You can still "redo" your turn if you refresh, but you will have to deal with the same dice.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Burzykowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
locworks wrote:
On a lighter note: who's up for a quick game? Username: locworks

Piotr, please take a look under your Inactive Games tab, as it's been your move for 3 days now in our two 2-player games. :)


These games are over, I think. Can you send the game Id for each of them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found a bug with replaying the turn (locworks, this affected the game between you and I - I wasn't trying to cheat) - I used the Polarity Device to flip one of my ships from the 2 to the 5. Then after placing my ships, decided I wanted to redo the placement, and when I rerolled, the ship that had rolled a 2 was already on a 5 (and my energy was not spent, I don't think). Also, I was unable to use the Terraforming Station - it said I only had 3 ships, so maybe it wasn't counting the flipped one for some reason?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is there no way to play a game without knowing the person's name to invite? No matchmaking?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
locworks wrote:
These games are over, I think. Can you send the game Id for each of them?

f29b11f132 and f29a530132. By the way, the site's having some problems right? I just get the blank game screens again, without any players listed or the chance to start my turns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoren wrote:
So is there no way to play a game without knowing the person's name to invite? No matchmaking?

Unfortunately there's no matchmaking. You cannot even decline a game if someone invites you to one, although you can cancel a game after it has been started.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Burzykowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
locworks wrote:
These games are over, I think. Can you send the game Id for each of them?

f29b11f132 and f29a530132. By the way, the site's having some problems right? I just get the blank game screens again, without any players listed or the chance to start my turns.


Thanks. I'll check these out when the app is fully back up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do we leave feedback for the beta?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
locworks wrote:
Thanks. I'll check these out when the app is fully back up.

You are right Piotr, you had won both games already, congrats. I wish completed games would show up as such, rather than sit in my Inactive Games tab (which by the way seems governed by no rhyme or reason).

My biggest wish right now is that games where my turn is up would show up first in my games list, instead of having to search for them. I also would love to disable the highly annoying "Your Turn" e-mails.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bug Report
Game ID #f28b9fd132: 2-player game with jbmoby.

Bug: Unable to Dock a Specific Ship

I've tried to take my turn in this game several times now, but the game absolutely refuses to let me play one of my fives, and I cannot figure out why? I can select the die, but the Dock button never highlights, or if I try to play it along with one or two of my other fives (I rolled triple fives), then all but the offended five are docked. What gives?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hansen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
Game ID #f28b9fd132: 2-player game with jbmoby.

Bug: Unable to Dock a Specific Ship

I've tried to take my turn in this game several times now, but the game absolutely refuses to let me play one of my fives, and I cannot figure out why? I can select the die, but the Dock button never highlights, or if I try to play it along with one or two of my other fives (I rolled triple fives), then all but the offended five are docked. What gives?


Sorry about the trouble this one caused. We may have just fixed it. The code to store the die rolls and thus prevent the refresh == reroll had a bug when the number of dice went down due to losing one to the Terraforming station. Try to make your move again. The fix we did could be unrelated.

Thanks,
Mike
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
I found a bug in the game and am so fed up with the stupid UserEcho site that I will report it here instead.

Amen! Replace that UserEcho software, please. Also, I don't want to set up yet another ID to report bugs during a beta. I should be able to use the same ID as the main site and have single sign on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing that's minor but is bugging me.

Make "Login" the default page for the web site, not "Register". A user registers once, but logs in many, many times. Having to always click over to "Login" is an annoyance.

And please add a confirmation or something for accepting new games. I now have five games going when I only wanted one or two. People keep starting new games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hansen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:
Another thing that's minor but is bugging me.

Make "Login" the default page for the web site, not "Register". A user registers once, but logs in many, many times. Having to always click over to "Login" is an annoyance.

And please add a confirmation or something for accepting new games. I now have five games going when I only wanted one or two. People keep starting new games.


Hi Ed. Thanks for the feedback.

We are looking at Single Sign on for UserEcho. If we stick with it long term I would want that as well.

The Login also at the top of the page. See http://goo.gl/HgFCF. You can use it from there if that is more convenient.

Confirmation of invites is in the works. I expect it within a few days.

Thanks for participating in the Beta.

-Mike
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.