Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like anyway to find people to play with other than coming on here and asking. If there is a way built into the system, it is not readily apparent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hansen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoren wrote:
I'd really like anyway to find people to play with other than coming on here and asking. If there is a way built into the system, it is not readily apparent.

This is on the very short list. You will not have to scrounge for players for much longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirthworks wrote:
Yokiboy wrote:
I've tried to take my turn in this game several times now, but the game absolutely refuses to let me play one of my fives, and I cannot figure out why? I can select the die, but the Dock button never highlights, or if I try to play it along with one or two of my other fives (I rolled triple fives), then all but the offended five are docked. What gives?

Sorry about the trouble this one caused. We may have just fixed it. The code to store the die rolls and thus prevent the refresh == reroll had a bug when the number of dice went down due to losing one to the Terraforming station. Try to make your move again. The fix we did could be unrelated.

It worked now, but for some reason I only had double fives, not triples any more, but whatever, I completed my turn to move the game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know about this or have a link to information, or is Mirthworks answering questions about it, etc...

That is, about the business model of mirthworks.com? Despite the obvious flaws in this game's beta, it's very apparent that this is a professional offering and should be very slick when it's finished. A lot of work has gone into it, and a lot of work will continue to, so I wonder how we're going to pay for it. Are we looking at a monthly fee? Pay-per-game? Ad-supported free play (kinda doubt it)? Something else? Has this been posted or discussed anywhere yet?

I've always been in the camp of, I'm perfectly willing to pay for games, but I'm stingy - lots of places ask too much. When I'm logging into "free-to-play" web games that require you to spend hundreds of dollars to be competitive (or require you to spend money just to have any reasonable amount of content to play, but still get away with calling themselves free to play). Even games where you can be perfectly happy playing for free that have pay tiers that seem ludicrously expensive. I've been playing Dragons of Atlantis lately, and it's semi-fun (though more of a "Progress Quest" with more clicking if I'm being honest), and I'd be happy to spend real money on it, but I'm talking about $10 or $20, which would buy me like one building in that game. Which is silly. $100 would get me some cool stuff, but I'm not spending $100 on a browser game. No chance.

That's all a bit off topic, but I guess what I'm saying is... what kind of money are we going to shell out to be Mirthworks members?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hansen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
This is a bit off topic, but does anyone know about this or have a link to information, or is Mirthworks answering questions about it, etc...

That is, about the business model of mirthworks.com? Despite the obvious flaws in this game's beta, it's very apparent that this is a professional offering and should be very slick when it's finished. A lot of work has gone into it, and a lot of work will continue to, so I wonder how we're going to pay for it. Are we looking at a monthly fee? Pay-per-game? Ad-supported free play (kinda doubt it)? Something else? Has this been posted or discussed anywhere yet?

I've always been in the camp of, I'm perfectly willing to pay for games, but I'm stingy - lots of places ask too much. When I'm logging into "free-to-play" web games that require you to spend hundreds of dollars to be competitive (or require you to spend money just to have any reasonable amount of content to play, but still get away with calling themselves free to play). Even games where you can be perfectly happy playing for free that have pay tiers that seem ludicrously expensive. I've been playing Dragons of Atlantis lately, and it's semi-fun (though more of a "Progress Quest" with more clicking if I'm being honest), and I'd be happy to spend real money on it, but I'm talking about $10 or $20, which would buy me like one building in that game. Which is silly. $100 would get me some cool stuff, but I'm not spending $100 on a browser game. No chance.

That's all a bit off topic, but I guess what I'm saying is... what kind of money are we going to shell out to be Mirthworks members?

Chris,

Good questions. To cut to the chase: Yes, Mirthworks is a commercial offering. While we're not ready to publish specifics I can offer some commentary.

Our goal isn't to pull more money out of players. Rather I'm interested in serving existing players and as I want more friends to play turning them into players as well. I'm also very interested in partnering with game publishers and designers to enable more and better games to be created.

As I'm an opinionated game player there are businesses I don't care for:
Ad-supported: Despise in your face advertising so that is not our plan.
Paying for in-game advantages: An atrocious model although many have been successful with it which I find mystifying.

Even though I've been implementing Mirthworks more than blogging about it please check out http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/2168/introduction to get a sense of my perspective on the industry.

I'm interested in moving the game-playing industry forward: trying new formulations and mechanisms as we go. I hope Mirthworks gets more people excited about playing more games with each other.

I hope you stay tuned - and keep letting us know how we're doing.

Thanks,
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirthworks wrote:
Good questions. To cut to the chase: Yes, Mirthworks is a commercial offering. While we're not ready to publish specifics I can offer some commentary.

Thanks for the info that you do have, Mike. I have no problem paying for a good service, and it looks like you're well on your way there. I'm not a big fan of the ad-based model - not because it doesn't work for the customer (because it can), but because it so rarely works out for the business. So many internet businesses start off saying "and then we'll pay for it by selling ads", and then most of them die when they realize how much ad revenue they actually need to stay afloat. Facebook is the exception, not the rule. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Smith
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried a couple times to report this on the UserEcho site only to figure out I never want to try that again, so I'll post it here. Previous user placed an Isolation field, but no field shows up on the board, just in the game log. I tried to discard the Booster Pod card to remove it, but as it doesn't display the Isolation field on the board, when it prompts "Choose a FIELD to remove." I can't select anything, my only choice is to close that window (after losing my discarded card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c0yote wrote:
Tried a couple times to report this on the UserEcho site only to figure out I never want to try that again, so I'll post it here. Previous user placed an Isolation field, but no field shows up on the board, just in the game log. I tried to discard the Booster Pod card to remove it, but as it doesn't display the Isolation field on the board, when it prompts "Choose a FIELD to remove." I can't select anything, my only choice is to close that window (after losing my discarded card).

I'm assuming that's in game #f309147132, against me (my user name on there is estyles... arkayn is an old handle I used to use when I started my BGG account, but unfortunately no way to change usernames...).

FYI - if you reload the page before ending your turn, you should get your Booster Pod back. And maybe try again? That's too bad - I did expect you to use the Booster Pod to remove the field... I didn't mean to permanently hose you with it. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hansen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
c0yote wrote:

I'm assuming that's in game #f309147132, against me (my user name on there is estyles... arkayn is an old handle I used to use when I started my BGG account, but unfortunately no way to change usernames...).

FYI - if you reload the page before ending your turn, you should get your Booster Pod back. And maybe try again? That's too bad - I did expect you to use the Booster Pod to remove the field... I didn't mean to permanently hose you with it. whistle

Your opponents actions are broadcast real time but they can "undo" their turn by refreshing. If they do reload, the messages are still there from their first attempt at the turn. We will close this discrepancy one way or another. We may allow some type of undo without requiring a refresh, and/or we will save user actions as they make them, just like we do with the die rolls.

User Echo has certainly been getting mixed results. We won't switch the feed back tool mid-beta but going forward we will evaluate if we continue with it or not.

Thanks for playing,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirthworks wrote:
arkayn wrote:
c0yote wrote:

I'm assuming that's in game #f309147132, against me

Your opponents actions are broadcast real time but they can "undo" their turn by refreshing. If they do reload, the messages are still there from their first attempt at the turn. We will close this discrepancy one way or another. We may allow some type of undo without requiring a refresh, and/or we will save user actions as they make them, just like we do with the die rolls.

I definitely did place the Isolation Field, and the relic ship showed up back in Burroughs Desert (c0yote you can confirm that you didn't get to roll the relic die at the start of your turn?), but the Isolation Field doesn't show up anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hansen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ran a test and it does look like the fields are not persisting between turns. We will jump on that ASAP.

Thanks for raising it!

-Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Smith
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Mirthworks wrote:
arkayn wrote:
c0yote wrote:

I'm assuming that's in game #f309147132, against me

I definitely did place the Isolation Field, and the relic ship showed up back in Burroughs Desert (c0yote you can confirm that you didn't get to roll the relic die at the start of your turn?), but the Isolation Field doesn't show up anymore.

Did not get the relic ship rolled at start of turn. Still haven't completed turn, so no I have not yet wasted my tech card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
Are you kidding me?

Requires Adobe Flash... thumbsdown

So I can only play this at my pc, not on my iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, PS3...

Excitement just dropped from a 10 to a 1 for me.

WMReed

Get the puffin app and you can play on iPad easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
txaal wrote:
wmreed wrote:
Are you kidding me?

Requires Adobe Flash... thumbsdown

So I can only play this at my pc, not on my iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, PS3...

Excitement just dropped from a 10 to a 1 for me.

WMReed

Get the puffin app and you can play on iPad easily.

OMG, THIS IS AMAZING! Puffin Browser does FLASH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mihola
Austria
Wolkersdorf
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For at least 24 hours I haven't been able to log in to the mirthworks site - is anyone else having this problem?

I tried several browsers,have tried to use both my username and my email-address to log in and am absolutely certain that my password is correct.

Also, I am unable to reset my password because I cannot enter an email-address in the corresponding form.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

I've just logged in OK, and can see my running games.

Regards,
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmihola wrote:
For at least 24 hours I haven't been able to log in to the mirthworks site - is anyone else having this problem?

I tried several browsers,have tried to use both my username and my email-address to log in and am absolutely certain that my password is correct.

Also, I am unable to reset my password because I cannot enter an email-address in the corresponding form.

David

I have made several turns in several games over the last 24 hours...no problemo.

Send an email to help@mirthworks.com and see if they can assist you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put together a list of usernames from this thread, please add more!

ccasin
Filadin
ecargo
ookook!
Scott
brotherjo
Dreadfuzzy
Takras
SixteenFtPauly
richtoosoon
seqiro
edroz
HanClinto
Nonprofitgnome
cphpitts
locworks
c0yote
faldska
yokiboy
Roy
Froggalpha
estyles
locworks
jbmoby
Vanish
zmeston

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hansen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmihola wrote:

David

David,

Drop me a PM with your e-mail and I will take a look.

Sorry you are having trouble.

-Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I put together a list and started several new games that never got off the ground.

I am interested in more games, please include.

I am "ookook!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
I put together a list and started several new games that never got off the ground.

I am interested in more games, please include.

I am "ookook!".

I think you started a game with me that had "waiting for ookook! to take the first turn" for like a week. I don't remember if I hit Cancel on that game or if it just eventually made its way to my inactive list. Maybe it was due to some sort of glitch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...it never shows me as up. I swear it said "no moves yet".

Curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
Hmmm...it never shows me as up. I swear it said "no moves yet".

Curious.

I believe that when you start a game, you are always the first player (no randomized turns). And it will say "no moves yet" until you go ahead and take a turn. At least, I think that's the way it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see. I was missing that part!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incorrect placement of dice at Shipyard:

When I started my turn green had a single 1 die at the shipyard. I placed two dice (blue) and they were placed as seen in the picture above.

Game: f2b80f8132

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.