Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Duman
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I'm a long time gamer, I will hopefully get my first experience playing this game this weekend.

Since this is our first attempt at the game, should we just play the base game? Or because we are experienced gamers, should we include the Sentinels, a Job Well Done, and Spoils of War! Of course, Assisi is out of the question (Pretend there is an Green Army Man Meeple Smiley Face here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cormier
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend playing with one or more of the variants. They add a nice bit of strategy without being overwhelming. I like all of the variant options but especially the Assisi one as I'm not huge into PvP combat - so this was a nice addition.

I really like the dice mechanic in the game as it allows for some randomness, but not enough to turn a Euro-snoot like myself off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Jahns
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite way of playing is adding A Job Well Done, and Spoils of War. I really like both Assisi and Sentinels, but feel that they're more to allow players to customize your experience to your style of play. If you like more direct interaction, I wouldn't include them. If you prefer less direct interaction, then include them.

As experienced gamers I wouldn't worry. I just played a game last night with 2 people new to the game, and no one had difficulty picking up the rules.

I hope you have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackTower wrote:
My favorite way of playing is adding A Job Well Done, and Spoils of War. I really like both Assisi and Sentinels, but feel that they're more to allow players to customize your experience to your style of play. If you like more direct interaction, I wouldn't include them. If you prefer less direct interaction, then include them.

As experienced gamers I wouldn't worry. I just played a game last night with 2 people new to the game, and no one had difficulty picking up the rules.

I hope you have fun!

I should have played it with "a job well done" as it's not that complex to tack onto the rules as you're teaching.

I would teach like it like "each worker you add here gives you BLAH and if you have the most workers in this category you also get BLEH."

Also, upon teaching it twice, the next time I teach it, I will teach how a (second) round works first so that they know how any kind of worker works, how to grow, approximately how much food they'll get from moderate weather, how to feed, how prayer works, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.