Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
Well, I'm putting in an order for board games this weekend after a lot of debate and research. Alien Frontiers was among the top games that I was going to order, but since I can't find it on any website (to combine with other orders for free shipping), I'm afraid that AF has lost a sale. It still blows my mind that the only place I can buy this is the developer's website, on eBay for nearly $80, or Amazon (third party stores) for $80. As far as I'm concerned, this game IS out of print and I will have to wait until the next printing to purchase. Hopefully by then, they will have realized the mistake they made.

I'm ordering from coolstuffinc.com. Free shipping for orders over $100. AF would have easily made the cut, but the game isn't for sale on the site. Mind blowing.

AF is for sale in our shop at Game Salute...for list price and not for a penny more.
http://shop.gamesalute.com/collections/clever-mojo-games/pro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I was aware that the game is for sale at your website. I can't find out how much it would cost for shipping though.

EDIT: Got it. It would be an additional $10 for shipping. Better than I thought it would be, but I'm still not liking that I have only one choice from whom to order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
Thanks. I was aware that the game is for sale at your website. I can't find out how much it would cost for shipping though.

I think the reason David chimed in is that you said it was for sale at the developer's website. Which Game Salute is not. (FWIW, I don't know how much Game Salute charges for shipping either.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:

I think the reason David chimed in is that you said it was for sale at the developer's website. Which Game Salute is not. (FWIW, I don't know how much Game Salute charges for shipping either.)

You are correct. I meant to say Game Salute, not the developer's website.

So I have finally realized that if I want this game, I have no choice except to order it from Game Salute. The only question remaining is: Is this game really worth $60?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not worth $60 IMHO. I bought my copy awhile back, and got sick of it after 10 plays. The games started to feel a bit "samey". I am hoping the expansion breathes new life into the game for me, because it's a pretty neat concept.

I do not like Clever Mojo's apparent dislike for online stores. I prefer to order from online retailers because it is far more convenient than visiting brick and mortar stores, and I don't like a game company trying to force me to purchase their product in a particular way. I will think twice about buying a game from this company in the future.

This game would be a decent little purchase for about $30-40, but it's not worth full retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
Fayetteville
Tennessee (TN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
The only question remaining is: Is this game really worth $60?

My opinion? Yes, yes it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:

Agreed. I don't think it's an $80 game. But $60 is a good deal. That's probably what I payed for my copy, in fact. It's always a popular title when it gets pulled out. And I'm already in for the first expansion via Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Highland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy through the Game Salute website, you can have it delivered to your FLGS (they have a list of ones that are supported) and you don't have to pay for shipping. I know that $50 is still a lot when you are used to the discounted prices from most online retailers, but if does bring it down from $60.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't really understand why Clever Mojo thinks that because they like local bricks&mortar stores, they should force their customers to shop at them.

How about letting us shop at the stores we like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saberj wrote:
franklincobb wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:

Agreed. I don't think it's an $80 game. But $60 is a good deal. That's probably what I payed for my copy, in fact. It's always a popular title when it gets pulled out. And I'm already in for the first expansion via Kickstarter.

I haven't heard of this Kickerstarter thing, but after doing some research, maybe this is how I should buy AF. For $85 you can get the base game and the expansion.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. Looks like you can't order from there anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
I haven't heard of this Kickerstarter thing, but after doing some research, maybe this is how I should buy AF. For $85 you can get the base game and the expansion.

Sorry, but too late. It was a good deal, but essentially a closed preorder. As far as I know, Clever Mojo is not offering any sort of package deal with AF and the expansion, but maybe it's a possibility that they will do so after the expansion is released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orange_rhino wrote:
If you buy through the Game Salute website, you can have it delivered to your FLGS (they have a list of ones that are supported) and you don't have to pay for shipping. I know that $50 is still a lot when you are used to the discounted prices from most online retailers, but if does bring it down from $60.

I can't find the list of stores that they will send to. Also, do you know if the store I pick up from will then charge tax? It's great to be able to do this and not get charged shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
I can't find the list of stores that they will send to. Also, do you know if the store I pick up from will then charge tax? It's great to be able to do this and not get charged shipping.

Try this page for the Game Store Locator
http://gamesalute.com/home/gamestorelocator/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:

Try this page for the Game Store Locator
http://gamesalute.com/home/gamestorelocator/

Nice, so you want me to drive an hour each way to pick up a game to save shipping...$10 for gas, or $10 shipping, either way I'm hosed aren't I? Thanks, you guys rock. I'll make sure to support all your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hopkins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I don't get you guys. Everyone on BGG pays so much lip service to supporting small publishers and local games stores, but when Clever Mojo participates in a program designed to put more money in the hands of small publishers and support local games stores at the same time, they get nothing but grief. God forbid that us gamers actually pay what a game is worth every once in a while. I frequently pay MSRP for games at my local game store because I know that supporting it is the right thing to do and my neighborhood would be poorer without the store.

Even if all of that touchy-feely "support your FLGS and small publisher" stuff is not for you, Alien Frontiers, simply as an investment in your game collection, is worth every penny and then some. I paid full freight for it, ordering the second printing directly from Clever Mojo, and I don't regret it at all. In fact, the value that I've received for it in repeat plays over the past year far exceeds what I paid. It is the most-played game in my collection and looks like it will be for the foreseeable future (can't wait for Factions!).

So, try paying MSRP every once in a while, it feels really good to support something other than your own wallet.

Let the pillorying begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhopkins wrote:
You know, I don't get you guys. Everyone on BGG pays so much lip service to supporting small publishers and local games stores, but when Clever Mojo participates in a program designed to put more money in the hands of small publishers and support local games stores at the same time, they get nothing but grief.

Answer: it's not the same people. I feel like this all the time... "You people" wanted things this way, and now that you got it this way, "you people" do nothing but complain about it. The problem is, this whole thing (the internet, that is) is full of people. There's a crazy number of people (and they are all mostly crazy). On every issue, you're gonna have vocal zealots on both sides.

Quote:
I frequently pay MSRP for games at my local game store because I know that supporting it is the right thing to do and my neighborhood would be poorer without the store.

Hear, hear. I do this as well, for several reasons:

a) Instant gratification / browsability. I see a game I like, I look at the box, I shake it a little bit. If I like it, I buy it right then and there - no waiting. In some cases, I might even be able to play a demo copy or a copy that another player brought to game night.

b) Promise of future browsability / instant gratification. If the store thrives, then I will always have the future ability to do a). Supporting the store helps keep that happening.

c) Appreciation for gaming space. My FLGS (actually all 3 game stores that I consider local, but one that I frequent and buy from much more often) has a great play space. Approximately twice a month, I go there and play games - no obligation to buy anything. In appreciation, I buy something every once in a while. Once a month or so.

d) Loyalty program / no shipping or minimums. My FLGS (actually at least 2 of the 3 local stores - haven't checked at the other) gives a $10 gift certificate for every $100 you spend. Basically like 10% off. Once you factor that in, the cost, while still higher than online, is much closer. If you also factor in that online would usually require shipping or a high minimum order, it doesn't look like that huge of a difference. Granted, Amazon only has a $25 minimum and has pretty good prices, so it's still the better deal much of the time. And if it turns out to be a $20 difference for a game I really want, I'll buy it on Amazon. But in most cases it's more like a $5 to $10 difference, in which case the other factors are worth the difference.

But I guess the biggest thing is: yes, you can get great deals on some games by buying them online at discounters and by putting together a big enough order to get free shipping. But that's "getting a great deal." That's great. You should be happy you got a great deal. Having to pay retail is not getting ripped off. And you know - normally when you have something shipped, someone has to pay shipping. If you can't get someone else to pay shipping for you and also only charge you half price, then well... you'll either have to pay what the thing is actually worth, or decide not to get it. If you want, then wait a while and pick up a used copy. All this crap about CMG being greedy is just tiresome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhopkins wrote:
I frequently pay MSRP for games at my local game store because I know that supporting it is the right thing to do and my neighborhood would be poorer without the store.

Maybe for you spending the extra money and supporting the local store is the "right thing to do", but it is not for me.

When things are tight, as they are now, saving money and supporting my family is the "right thing to do".

My wife is currently disabled and the only thing we have is our board games. What we don't have is alot of money so I try not to spend even a dollar more than I have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rhopkins wrote:
You know, I don't get you guys. Everyone on BGG pays so much lip service to supporting small publishers and local games stores, but when Clever Mojo participates in a program designed to put more money in the hands of small publishers and support local games stores at the same time, they get nothing but grief.

No, not everyone on BGG. Some people on BGG. Probably not even a majority of people on BGG. Most of us love our OLGSs (which is why the OLGSs are successful while local game stores are having trouble).

What Clever Mojo is doing is a douchebag move. It's their right to do whatever they want with their game, of course, but that doesn't mean I have to support it. There are plenty of good games out there to buy; I'll just buy from publishers who don't treat their customers like shit, instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhopkins wrote:
You know, I don't get you guys. Everyone on BGG pays so much lip service to supporting small publishers and local games stores, but when Clever Mojo participates in a program designed to put more money in the hands of small publishers and support local games stores at the same time, they get nothing but grief. God forbid that us gamers actually pay what a game is worth every once in a while.

That's my main issue: Alien Frontiers isn't worth $50 PLUS $10 shipping. I wonder if CM realizes that if they would have distributed this game better, they would have already sold out of this printing and would be planning the next printing as we speak.

How many sales did they lose because of this decision? I'll raise my hand. This game was number one on my want list, but after not being able to find it on sites like coolstuffinc and Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon, not some crazy nut trying to sell this for $100), I'm over the game and have already purchased 4 other games in its place.

Plus, CM only participated in a program that benefited them. They proved to me that they could care less about consumers. It was a way to cover their ass to make sure the game wasn't sold below retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and if you are actually paying MSRP for all of you're games, you are only hurting yourself. Do you realize that you could probably have a board game collection twice of what you currently have? I have only payed MSRP twice. I bought WoW: The Board Game for over $90. A week later I was looking around on some site and found it for $60. I never felt so screwed in my life, retail wise. The second time was just recently. My wife and I were in a pinch to find a Christmas gift for our friends and didn't have time to get anything shipped to us. We spend $70 on Agricola at a game store. After getting home, I checked the online prices and I could have got it for $45. That was the last straw. I vowed that I would never pay MSRP again. Do you actually think that these game stores care? If they did, they wouldn't have the prices jacked up so far. Now, I only go into a gaming store to check out artwork, the back of boxes, etc. Then I head to the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
rhopkins wrote:

No, not everyone on BGG. Some people on BGG. Probably not even a majority of people on BGG. Most of us love our OLGSs (which is why the OLGSs are successful while local game stores are having trouble).

What Clever Mojo is doing is a douchebag move. It's their right to do whatever they want with their game, of course, but that doesn't mean I have to support it. There are plenty of good games out there to buy; I'll just buy from publishers who don't treat their customers like shit, instead.

Hear, hear! I agree with everything you typed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
Oh and if you are actually paying MSRP for all of you're games, you are only hurting yourself. Do you realize that you could probably have a board game collection twice of what you currently have? I have only payed MSRP twice. I bought WoW: The Board Game for over $90. A week later I was looking around on some site and found it for $60. I never felt so screwed in my life, retail wise. The second time was just recently. My wife and I were in a pinch to find a Christmas gift for our friends and didn't have time to get anything shipped to us. We spend $70 on Agricola at a game store. After getting home, I checked the online prices and I could have got it for $45. That was the last straw. I vowed that I would never pay MSRP again. Do you actually think that these game stores care? If they did, they wouldn't have the prices jacked up so far. Now, I only go into a gaming store to check out artwork, the back of boxes, etc. Then I head to the internet.

Well, at least if you buy AF at MSRP, you won't kick yourself after checking online prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechairman wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:

Well, at least if you buy AF at MSRP, you won't kick yourself after checking online prices.

That's the truth. Instead, I've decided to not buy it at all. Maybe CM will approach this differently for their next printing of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zephaus wrote:
New listing on E-bay this morning.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekbay/link/180813789825/8375130

You can buy it now, shipping included, for $49.19.

I just about pulled the trigger on this one. But for some reason the auction was ended early and the seller only sold one copy out of the 10 + that he had listed. Very suspicious. I'm positive that Clever Mojo or Game Salute had something to do with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
zephaus wrote:
New listing on E-bay this morning.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekbay/link/180813789825/8375130

You can buy it now, shipping included, for $49.19.

I just about pulled the trigger on this one. But for some reason the auction was ended early and the seller only sold one copy out of the 10 + that he had listed. Very suspicious. I'm positive that Clever Mojo or Game Salute had something to do with this. Cease and desist?

Doubtful, there's nothing illegal about reselling a board game on ebay.

And to just throw this into the mix. Magic the Gathering has the same distribution policy, any web site that sells new MtG cards also has a B&M store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.