Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Burden

Ottawa
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,
Just looking for thoughts how others store their ASL counters once they are punched?

Thanks,
turks1966cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a firm believer in the Plano 3701.

I went through about 2-3 different organizational schemes before finally settling on the 3701. Here is a shot of what I was using before:

They are a bit thicker than they need to be, and there is a lot of dead space. The 3701s fit into the same bag, so I can carry around the entire order of battle if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unpunched is pretty nice. Very flat, sorted and you keep a high resale value!
Kidding aside, there will be too many answers and none of them will be perfect for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Gray
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always use this method:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See this thread for some ideas:

Storing ASL counters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've seen many, many clever solutions to the storage question, and a few not-so-clever solutions too! Plano 3701 tackle boxes are a popular choice; Raaco, a Danish(?) company, makes some nifty carrying cases but they are pricey and tough to find in the States. Moving away from plastic storage boxes, I've seen folks used coin envelopes (very compact) and matchboxes (built into large 'bricks', surprisingly sturdy and also compact). Plastic baggies quickly get out of hand, so I haven't seen them used too often. Classic counter trays like those used by GMT are popular but are quickly overwhelmed by the sheer volume of a full ASL kit.

Most ridiculous storage system I've ever seen? Bob Bendis' notorious garbage bag o' counters! I gotta find a picture of that and post it here some day.

Meanwhile, I suggest you check out Mark Pitcavage's gallery of storage systems, found here:

http://www.desperationmorale.com/museum/aslmuseum-counters.h...

Enjoy, and good luck!

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
My kit is optimized for portability. Counters go in nested ziploc bags - all the 4-6-7's go into a baggie, which goes into the German Infantry jumbo freezer bag, which goes into an even bigger bag which I take with me when I go out gaming.
I can stick some mapboards and scenarios in my rules binder, stick it in my backpack and add in a few freezer bags for the OB I want that day and I'm set to go.
Also - it's super cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
My kit is optimized for portability. Counters go in nested ziploc bags - all the 4-6-7's go into a baggie, which goes into the German Infantry jumbo freezer bag, which goes into an even bigger bag which I take with me when I go out gaming.
I can stick some mapboards and scenarios in my rules binder, stick it in my backpack and add in a few freezer bags for the OB I want that day and I'm set to go.
Also - it's super cheap.

The other sensible thing Andy does:

He only cuts counters out when he's going to use them. I'm too OCD for it, but it makes a LOT of sense.

S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
2015: The year of the wargame!!!
badge
Again with the negative waves!
mbmbmbmbmb
3701's were never available around here so I have always gone with the 3700's. The compartments are deeper than the 3701's but they serve there purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamesmeister99 wrote:
3701's were never available around here so I have always gone with the 3700's. The compartments are deeper than the 3701's but they serve there purpose.

I order my 3701s from Amazon. I've never seen one for sale in an actual store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a local fishing supply store that carries them. Check some of those out if you don't want to order online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Woyak
United States
Elmendorf AFB
Alaska
flag msg tools
Everybody POLKA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cabelas carries 3701s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swoyak wrote:
Cabelas carries 3701s...

Dick's sometimes does, too.

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Woyak
United States
Elmendorf AFB
Alaska
flag msg tools
Everybody POLKA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spencer Armstrong wrote:
swoyak wrote:
Cabelas carries 3701s...

Dick's sometimes does, too.

S

They also used to sell a "7 for the price of 6" deal, but now they just have a Pro-pack. I'm not sure if that's just 6 or 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rousseau Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I did a lot of research on the matchbox method and posted a summary here

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?99524-ASL-Storage...

(the linked picture is on consimworld which is currently down for a few days, here's another example picture)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/SlyFrog/MatchboxStorag...

The post has which matchbox size, where to buy them, and what size bricks to make (seen in the picture). Keep in mind that 5/8" vehicles, and possibly ordinance, are better handled with coin envelopes. The picture shows a Beyond Valor box neatly fill to the top with matchbox bricks holding a large percentage of the ASL 1/2" counters. I like this method as it's 100% cardboard which fits the game better than plastic, uses less space, is lighter, cheaper and easy to change around as new products come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought they were just stored in a bath?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Hoffman

Huntsville
Alabama
msg tools
I use bead sorters from Michaels. They're about $2 each and I use one for each country. Granted I only have a few games (BV, DB, FKaC, VotG) and the three Starter Kits, but it seems to work for me for the time being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KirkH wrote:
I use bead sorters from Michaels. They're about $2 each and I use one for each country. Granted I only have a few games (BV, DB, FKaC, VotG) and the three Starter Kits, but it seems to work for me for the time being.

"it seems to work for me"

Good enough.

When I no longer feel that, I reorganize.

S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Lago Vista
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
One suggestion no matter what system you use - label your storage. I use Plano's and have each bin labelled with their contents. Others use the lid as a chart or have a paper insert. Whatever works.

Helps me find vehicles, and helps others when they use my kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I use for vehicles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
Interesting. Do you have a picture of your entire system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Gray
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice use of all those left over tape cases Brian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
"I am living off the government tit! Sucking it dry!"
(since 1970)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mark what are those cases and where can they be found?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brodemir wrote:
Hey Mark what are those cases and where can they be found?

I get them at a local mall store in Metro Manila that sells all types of containers and bags, I think they're meant to carry pills and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
Interesting. Do you have a picture of your entire system?

I'll post a picture of the entire system when I'm done putting it together. I haven't yet done the U.S., Commonwealth, Japanese, and Chinese vehicles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.