Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
So, Macedonians vs. Persians is almost out, but for my taste Pocket Battles is GREAT for many more variants than fantasy or ancients.

One of the ideas behind Pocket Battles is to have all sets and can (with some historical accuracy) face any armies, romans vs. macedonians or elves vs. Persians...

But I really think this game will rock with American Civil War and napoleonic era sets... if it worked with Mechas from the Macross Saga... it could work with anything!

Zentraedi vs. UnSpacy:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/55536/pocket-battles-zentr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the next fantasy set was meant to bee "Undead vs. Dwarves" and the next classic one "American Civil War".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Velden
Germany
Geldern
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleonic sounds good, but a Civil war version is what I'd really like to see in the near future!

Any plans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we are working on american civil war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weezy F baby
Austria
flag msg tools
I would love to see Dwarfs vs Undead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer the necessary Crusades set. But they can't release all of them at the same time, which is quite frutrating. zombie

I had never thought I would buy an American Civil War game until Paolo said that perhaps they were going to release an ACW set. Although it will be the only set of which I only buy one copy. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Larsen
United States
Santa Clara
Utah
flag msg tools
I had such great plans for this OverText, but then I forgot what they were...
badge
This is a fearsome fisherman viking.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think an ACW-themed Pocket Battles game would make sense thematically within its own context, I'm not sure how thematically appropriate it would be for the Yankees of the mid-1800s to be militarily balanced against any of the ancient or fantasy armies. Guns and cannons just have a natural advantage against melee weapons, arrows, and the odd siege weapon, you know?

I love Pocket Battles, and I'm pretty sure I'll be buying all of the Ancients and Fantasy lines, but I think I'd be hesitant to pick up an ACW-themed one.

I'm also having a hard time envisioning any units from the ACW that would be fully melee. Sure they might have had sabers or bayonets, but guns were pretty much the primary weapons of the infantry by that point in history. Given we already have a shooting-focused army in the Elves, I wonder how the armies of the ACW could be differentiated from them (and from each other), aside from special units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Drouin
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My interest is in the Fantasy and then Ancients.
I don't think I'd pick up ACW or more Mordern genre games unless they were balanced against Fantasy and Ancients (which I think would be hard given the subject matter).

Bring on more Fantasy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I too think it would be difficult to balance guns with arrows...BUT it can be done and it would be fun. Plus that would open the door for the Native Americans to get in on the action. And undead? I can only imagine their weapons other than their teeth and numbers but I'm sure it can be done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Trimby
England
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SledgePainter wrote:
I too think it would be difficult to balance guns with arrows...BUT it can be done

There are various other wargames rules that cover a wide period and allow historically mismatched armies, DBM is one example. I don't think the point is to exactly match the effectiveness of weapons, just to match their roles within an army. So the Union Army's rifled artillery would perform much better than the Roman's catapults if you actually measured them, but they are the heavy artillery of each army, so in a game of PB they would get much the same stats.

And if one side is a fantasy army, you need even less internal consistency, 'cos it's magic, innit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Larsen
United States
Santa Clara
Utah
flag msg tools
I had such great plans for this OverText, but then I forgot what they were...
badge
This is a fearsome fisherman viking.
mbmbmbmbmb
SledgePainter wrote:
And undead? I can only imagine their weapons other than their teeth and numbers but I'm sure it can be done!

Aw, come on, just think of all the different kinds of undead that could be included! Weak, slow zombies zombie; regenerating, flying vampires; tough mummies; ghosts, ghouls, or skeletons; maybe even liches or death knights! And you're going to need some sort of necromancer to raise and command this undead army, right? sauron

Ooh, maybe down the line there could be a fantasy set with a demon army. devil There're all sorts of possibilities there too, though I'm not sure what the opposing army should be. A holy army with priests, paladins, and angels? That sounds pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yorkist4 wrote:

There are various other wargames rules that cover a wide period and allow historically mismatched armies, DBM is one example. I don't think the point is to exactly match the effectiveness of weapons, just to match their roles within an army. So the Union Army's rifled artillery would perform much better than the Roman's catapults if you actually measured them, but they are the heavy artillery of each army, so in a game of PB they would get much the same stats.

And if one side is a fantasy army, you need even less internal consistency, 'cos it's magic, innit?

Yorkist's got the point in here. Of course fielding an army of confederate soldiers against a legion of the same size of romans would be no-match, but since we want to keep the possibility to field army of different ages (or 'worlds') one against the other, of course we want also to keep the game pretty balanced. So, the stats of Berdan's sharpshooters and those of a Roman Scorpio (for example) wont' be very different. Just magine having units different in size (a small squad of soldiers against a battery of warmachines)... or just notice that Pocket Battles series has never tried to be really simulative, but just a fun and evocative wargame, with a decent amount of tactics and choices.

Regarding shooting and engagement dice, we're going to have these modern armies more effective on the shooting side. But the units (and some units, like cavalry, more than others) will have also engagement dice, to show that close combat (even if carried on with firearms) was still an used tactic at that age (but we're not historians, so feel free to suggest a different approach, if you feel appropriate).

Again, one of the problem will actually be differentiate the two armies. We won't have very different flavors, like in the the first three sets, but we are nonetheless finding a way to give each army some strengths and peculiarities specific of that army. So we think they will be definitely a nice addition to the series.

Thanks for your interest, btw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weezy F baby
Austria
flag msg tools
So Paolo which set is set to be next? ACW or the second Fantasy Set?
I rember that you wrote something back in 2011 about dwarfs vs Undead is this still to come??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Next, ACW. Then, dwarves vs undeads. In the middle, maybe, a box for implementing some features (terrains, tactical formations, ...): let's call it advanced pocket battles :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Transmuter wrote:
Ooh, maybe down the line there could be a fantasy set with a demon army. devil There're all sorts of possibilities there too, though I'm not sure what the opposing army should be. A holy army with priests, paladins, and angels? That sounds pretty cool.

Seconded!

And I do hope that any "advanced" PB won't be too advanced. The pure, clean simplicity of this system is one of my favorite features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phormio wrote:
I do hope that any "advanced" PB won't be too advanced. The pure, clean simplicity of this system is one of my favorite features.

Seconded!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Crusaders and Saracens.
Zulus and British.
Dervishes and Anglo-Egyptians.
Hundred Years' War French and English.
Byzantines and Arab Conquest armies.
Mexican-American War antagonists.
English Civil War or Thirty Years' War pike & shot.
Late Romans and Huns.
Egyptians and Hittites.
Lancastrians and Yorkists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the mechanics of this game suites ancient/fantasy era best. The mix of mele and ranged attacks makes it a good setting with how the battle field works. The more modern the era the more ranged combat and the less well the "battle line" type of map set up will work.

This said I still can see ACW and Napoleonics working in the system but not as sold on it as I am on fantasy race expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weezy F baby
Austria
flag msg tools
Okay thats quite some good news. I relly like the idea to introduce some features to the game. So are ACW, Dwarfs vs Undead and the Special features all scheduled to come out in 2012??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wade Heat wrote:
Okay thats quite some good news. I relly like the idea to introduce some features to the game. So are ACW, Dwarfs vs Undead and the Special features all scheduled to come out in 2012??

More likely, ACW later this year, and the rest, who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright! So it's true: two sets in 2012! Yes! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And when we are at it... when will it be out on ipad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TexMurphy wrote:
And when we are at it... when will it be out on ipad?

Do you know interested developers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández

Puerto de Sagunto, Valencia, SPAIN
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I read in another post that Dwarves vs. Undead would be the next...
Anyway, I plan to buy every game in the series, but I would have preferred that one next, before ACW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're weighing in as to what we want, I don't want any historical.

Fantasy / Sci Fi for me.

I will especially not buy anything past medieval. So no Napoleonic, no ACW and no WWI/WWII.

Just my preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.