$10.00
Andrew Laws
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a couple of collections of CCGs, but they're long dead and I thought a really good way of getting them played would be a cube draft. Except I don't know what one is or how it works.

I think it's sort of like 7 Wonders where you pass hands of cards around and choose to play cards from those.

Right? Wrong?

Can someone explain it to me. Like you might explain it to a smart dog, say a Border Collie or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.timecube.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

That was at the same time frightening, amusing, and singularly unhelpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's when one cube stays on the rear of another cube to save gas in the race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so a normal Booster Draft is when each player has some unopened booster packs in front of them (three is the standard for Magic), and then each player simultaneously opens a booster, takes a card out of it, and then passes the rest to the left (then right, then left for the second and third boosters). At the end of the draft, you make decks from the cards you drafted and play each other.

A Cube Draft is the same, except that instead of using sealed booster packs, you make "fake" booster packs by shuffling up a big stack (Cube) of cards. You can either try to replicate original boosters as much as possible, with a common stack, and uncommon stack, and a rare stack and using the right frequencies or whatever; or you can use one of each card and shuffle it all together; or you can pick and choose cards to your liking to add to your Cube. The standard Cube for Magic is a collection of one of each of the best cards ever printed.

Be warned that not all CCGs are equally amenable to booster drafts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At last, someone who isn't warming up for a stint on Saturday Night Live.

When you say someone takes a card (from either real or fake boosters), do they get to look at the cards and choose, or do they have to draw at random?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cube Drafts are a variation off of the Magic sealed pack drafts.

A cube is a collection of cards which have been selected because they create a balanced limited format.

From the cube each player selects a random assortment of cards (usually 15 in the case of a MTG draft) to emulate a "pack" of cards.

From these cards you select one to keep and pass the rest to the next player. Continuing until you have drafted 15 cards to keep.

Repeat the above process three times alternating the direction you pass for each "pack".

Once you have 45 cards that you have selected to keep, you then build a deck using only those cards (typically you do not use all of them). In the case of MTG you can add basic land cards to your deck, in the case of other games it varies, but usually basic resources are added after the draft.

You then play the ccg using the deck you have built.

Typically you would do this with 8 players, but fewer numbers work with varying degrees of success.

****Sorry I couldn't do it with only one syllable words ****
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Way
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
When you say someone takes a card (from either real or fake boosters), do they get to look at the cards and choose, or do they have to draw at random?

You get to look at the cards and choose 1.

Edit: Essentially, the Cube draft allows you to play two games in one.

First, you draft. The draft is like 7 Wonders, but instead of immediately playing the cards you draft, you put the cards into your deck.

Then, when drafting is done, you play games vs. your opponents with your deck.

To use a terrible analogy, it's a bit like 7 Wonders crossed with Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Keddington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Intro from Cubedrafting.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wicked_K wrote:

Yeah I read that and the article it links to but neither actually explained what 'the cube' was or how they are used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Redgar wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

You get to look at the cards and choose 1.

Edit: Essentially, the Cube draft allows you to play two games in one.

First, you draft. The draft is like 7 Wonders, but instead of immediately playing the cards you draft, you put the cards into your deck.

Then, when drafting is done, you play games vs. your opponents with your deck.

To use a terrible analogy, it's a bit like 7 Wonders crossed with Dominion.

I have wondered this forever, but just haven't taken the time to post asking about it. Thanks for explaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Wicked_K wrote:

Yeah I read that and the article it links to but neither actually explained what 'the cube' was or how they are used.

Sorry, I forgot about this thread after posting my response. Do you have any questions remaining about cube drafting? As someone else responded to your previous question, yes, you absolutely get to choose your card! The drafting part is *identical* to 7 Wonders, and has been around for over 15 years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Wicked_K wrote:

It's a custom built "set" of cards. You choose which cards you want in your play environment.

Some players like implementing rules like "only common and uncommon cards", "only cards from a single 'block'", "one of each card", and so on. It's like regular booster drafting, but you get to pick ahead of time what cards will be in the card pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
I own a couple of collections of CCGs, but they're long dead and I thought a really good way of getting them played would be a cube draft. Except I don't know what one is or how it works.

I think it's sort of like 7 Wonders where you pass hands of cards around and choose to play cards from those.

Right? Wrong?

Can someone explain it to me. Like you might explain it to a smart dog, say a Border Collie or something.

Take all cards from box. Or just some cards of your choice.

Mix all cards.

Deal each him or her a hand of cards (five to twelve or more)

Each him or her picks one card and then pass hand to left.

When all cards in the hand are gone, deal again. Pass right this time.

After all the cards in the lot are gone, use the cards you have to build a deck.

Play the game.

---------

Achievement unlocked. All singe-syllable words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
overtheboard wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

Right? Wrong?

Mix all cards.

When all cards in the hand are gone, deal again once more. Pass right this time.

After When all the cards in the lot are gone, use the cards you have to build a deck.

Play the game.

---------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan williams
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Mix all cards.

When all cards in the hand are gone, deal again. Pass right this time.

After all the cards in the lot are gone, use the cards you have to build a deck.

Play the game.

---------

Sorry, the red words lost me. Maybe a rebus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

Right? Wrong?

Fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Can someone explain it to me.

A long time ago, people realized that what deck you built mattered as much or more than how you played a CCG. That is, if you built the right deck and everyone else built a bad matchup against it, you'd win all day.

In those days too, it was seen that someone with a very large collection that included many powerful and useful cards would have an advantage over someone who was perhaps a better player but didn't have as many of the right tools at hand.

So, a desire was born to have a format where both deck building and game play were tested at the same time. To do this, some method of drafting cards was needed. For Magic, one way was to open a booster pack, look at all the cards, choose one and pass the rest to your neighbor. After a few packs, you'd have chosen enough to make a 40 card deck. Then you'd play. Whoever won presumably did best at both building decks and game play - and no one had a very large advantage by starting with many more cards to choose from.

The problem with this draft format was that you had to buy fresh boosters all the time. And you were limited to what was in the boosters. So, a variant came up. Instead of buying boosters, you'd take old cards you had laying around and build a set of fake boosters. Then you could draft without the expense - and you could include anything you liked in the pool, so it could be different than what came originally in boosters.

This format where you built fake boosters from a pool of cards you selected and then drafted and played is called cube drafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.