Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Rowe
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
whoa
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game has the potential to be a great family/filler game, but the standard rules are bit too boring as they are. Every time I've played it, the game has just progressed in dead silence as everyone works on their own little grid of letters.

So, how about a variant to add a bit more interaction?

Start like this: place a single random vowel in the center of the table. Then, everyone gets 21 letters and flips them up simultaneously as per normal Bananagrams. Players may also dump as normal.

However, instead of creating a personal grid, everyone will add to the center grid (off of the already placed vowel). To add letters, a player must call out the word they are adding. If multiple players want to add words, the word called out first gets added first. Players are free to rearrange the grid as they see fit, but any letters they grab to rearrange will become their letters. So, you could shuffle around some letters on the grid to fit in a few of your own, but any ones you have left over are now in your own stock. Just make sure to call out the word you are adding and any words that would be added as a result of rearranging.

The only thing I am not sure about is peeling -- it might work to just have peeling as normal, but it also might need some tweaking.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rowe
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
whoa
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've found that a better way to do this than "peeling" is to have each player take 2 or 3 different sets of 21 letters at the start. Then, when you finish one set of 21, you can flip over another set of 21 letters and start building from those. Once you have used every letter from each of your sets, you win.

Playing this way, with the added interaction, has definitely become my family's favorite way to play the game. It's taken it from dry and boring to chaotic and fun. (Assuming you don't have more than 2-4 players, which would probably be a bit too chaotic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.