Subject: Is this worth getting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the dice tower review and to me it didn't sound like Mr. Vassel was too thrilled with it. Does it add a lot of value to the original?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After you've played the base game often enough, this does freshen the game up. I enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably one of my top-5 game expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
I saw the dice tower review and to me it didn't sound like Mr. Vassel was too thrilled with it. Does it add a lot of value to the original?

I wanted Pandemic because of the co-op and then I read the expansion had a vs. Does that vs. bio terrorist take a way from the co-op aspect of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
johnnyLikesGames wrote:

I suppose that the onyly meaningful answer is 'Well, Mr. Vassel is entitled to his opinion, but is his opinion also your opinion?'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
johnnyLikesGames wrote:

I suppose that the onyly meaningful answer is 'Well, Mr. Vassel is entitled to his opinion, but is his opinion also your opinion?'

I trust his opinion thus far. I don't know why, but I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
johnnyLikesGames wrote:

I wanted Pandemic because of the co-op and then I read the expansion had a vs. Does that vs. bio terrorist take a way from the co-op aspect of the game?

I've played a ton of games with the expansion, but we have yet to try the bioterrorist. There are a various modules in the box that can be combined in different ways to affect the game experience, and the terrorist does not need to be included in any of them. I'm sure that it would give it a different feel, but the value of the entire expansion does not hinge on the bioterrorist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this expansion. Bio terrorist is my least favorite of the modules included but it is still fun (with the right group). I almost always play with one of the other two options.

Lots of fun, lots more variety to the basic game play.

Well worth it I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
johnnyLikesGames wrote:

I actually haven't played the bio-terrorist version yet. The rest of the expansion is still worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If all it came with was the additional roles and the additional special actions I would still think it was worth purchasing. Then they throw in 3 variant ways of playing and it is one of the best value expansion purchases I've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Very worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome expansion and worth every penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, this expansion kept the base game alive. 50+ plays in, I can say that Pandemic is a good game, but On the Brink is what makes it great.

If Mr. Vasel doesn't care for the expansion, well, he's allowed to be wrong now and again. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
For me, this expansion kept the base game alive. 50+ plays in, I can say that Pandemic is a good game, but On the Brink is what makes it great.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Cannon
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:

The bioterrorist expansion, as has been explained previously, does not have to be used. The game itself can be enjoyable. It has more of the feel of Scotland Yard with one player trying to evade the others and wreak havoc, but it is still enjoyable.

We play the bioterrorist occasionally, but we always play with the virulent strain, which we think is the best part of the whole addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
I saw the dice tower review and to me it didn't sound like Mr. Vassel was too thrilled with it.

However, On the Brink did win the 2009 Dice Tower "Best Game Expansion" award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
johnnyLikesGames wrote:

I really like the bioterrorist variant. We've only played it a handful of times, but it's a neat twist on the theme. I wouldn't say it's as complete of an experience as Letters from Whitechapel; it's probably more similar to Scotland Yard in terms of atmosphere.

My wife really likes Pandemic, and sometimes I'm in the mood for something different. Stepping into the bioterrorist role is a nice change of pace.

The other parts of the expansion are excellent too, but since we usually play Pandemic with less experienced players we don't add them in very often. They really make the game more exciting though with experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to your question "is this worth getting" in one word is:

Yes.

The answer in two words is:

Hells yes.

In a few more words:

Get it - you will not regret the decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My usual philosophy is to hold off on the expansion until you get a little bit sick of the game. When I recommend the game to people, however, I recommend buying the expansion along with it right off the bat. This expansion is worth it for the variety in role cards alone. It's also one of my top 5 expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally, utterly worth it. Marvelous expansion. Extra role cards are great. Haven't bothered with the bio terrorist, but the rest of the variants are well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great expansion. Really, it changes the game in interesting ways. The mix-and-match for new features thing is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great expansion; inexpensive and is "modular" so you can add as much or as little as you desire. We may not use the terrorist or the virulent strain much but we always play with the improved pawns and role cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Miller
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is worth getting for the petri dish storage alone, but add in the virulent strain, bioterrorist, new roles, new pawns, and improved Operations Expert and I think it is essential. I can't imagine playing Pandemic without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an excellent expansion.
I also have not gotten around to the bio terrorist thing because I mostly play 2 player with my wife. This expansion really breathed new life into the game.

The new roles & cards are great but for us the best part is the two variants (virulent strain and I forget the name of the other) which I feel really let you fine tune the difficulty and nature of the challenge you are facing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
I trust his opinion thus far. I don't know why, but I do.

Okay. Now you have 15+ other 'random stranger' opinions which unequivocally state that it is totally worth getting. How many 'random stranger' opinions do you need to balance one contrary Mr. Vasel opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.