Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried uploading a 5.7mb file over the weekend. The file uploaded fine but I got this GeekMail a few days later:

Quote:
We're sorry that we couldn't use the recent file that you uploaded, and it was removed it from the system.
Filename: Drizzt_Basic.zip
file is too large

Sincerely,
BGG Admins

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
Mail sent to the BoardGameGeek account or messagecenter@boardgamegeek.com is not received or read.
If you are trying to reach a particular user, please write to them directly.
Boardgamegeek Admins: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Admins

I had a similar issue a couple weeks ago, I added a file to a ZIP file and resubmitted it to an already existing file (as opposed to a new file) and got the same rejected GeekMail.

I've uploaded files this large before and never got rejected by size. Is this a new stipulation?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
The file size limit is simply a factor of the system connection timing out. We don't have anything to do with it.

The only viable solution right now is to continually re-submit it and hope that your connection does not time out before the upload is complete. I have seen files as large as 8.6MB make it through recently.

I wish I knew how to fix the issue permanently, but that is far too technical an issue for me to try to tackle.

Some days, depending on the speed of the Interwebs, your connection, our connection, sunspots, etc - the timeout can be much less, sometimes around 6MB.

If you are uploading something that is 7MB or smaller, simply try again. If it's larger than 7MB, I'd recommend compressing it or cutting into smaller pieces to upload separately

Hope this helps
Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ran into the same problem today. A couple of days ago I uploaded 10 files to the site (each one of them was an updated version of an existing file). Each of the files' sizes were between 6-7MB. None of them were any larger than the files they were meant to replace. I noticed that if I tried uploading anything over 8MB, the website would time-out (like it's always done). However, these files were all under 8MB, and they all uploaded successfully.

Today, just like Shnar, I received GeekMail informing me that all but one of the files were Declined. So, it wasn't a matter of my connection timing out, but rather the files being declined after the fact.

I'm also curious if there has been a change of policy, or if I should try to upload all those files again. (Unfortunately, I am unable to break these files down into any smaller pieces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that I didn't get an error message, I got a GeekMail *rejecting* the file and the reason for the rejection was the file was too big. If it was just a timeout, I would try to submit again. The submission seemed to work fine, but it was still rejected

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to upload my Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game files (and a correction to a previous file in the Gears of War: The Board Game files), is there any word on if there's been a policy change in the accepted filesize? Or should I just keep uploading until the mods decide to accept it?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey shnar, yesterday I re-uploaded the 9 files that were previously rejected, and 6 of 'em were accepted today. I haven't received a response about the other 3 yet, but hopefully they'll be accepted as well.

So I say go ahead and try uploading your files again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do, thanks

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, I uploaded my first part of the Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game TileSet for TileSystem, it's 5.7mb in size. It uploaded fine, I got the message saying "thanks will be review" etc. Let's hope it doesn't get rejected.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fen
Wales
Cardiff
The Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to downscale the resolution of files for one of my more recent sets of uploads not because the loader timed out but because they were all rejected for being larger than 5 MB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to report back, my recent upload of files greater than 5mb (between 5 and 6mb) was not rejected. So not sure why they were a few months ago but things seem to be back to normal.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't you just get a free dropbox account and stick the large version there? (they give 2 gigs) Then get the public link to the file and post it here?

File size limits suck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's what I already do for my larger uploads. But it kinda defeats the purpose of uploading them to BGG in the first place if I'm forced to upload a Low Res file, then link to an external site for the Hi Res file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.