Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed a few days ago that the ability to post comments on news releases on FFG's website has vanished. For a while, there was just a blank space, but now there's a link to their forums (with a cheery call to action to post away there) in its place.

My cynical side wants to say this might be because of the negative comments that tend to pop up there. Moving things to the forum will either kill the conversation, or keep it out of view. But then again, maybe they're just trying to pour some more life into their forums?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's a move to drive conversation to the forums.

Yea, it has the side effect of burying negativity from the front-page, but I think that the forum is a better place for discussion on the news anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
jasonpanella wrote:
My cynical side wants to say this might be because of the negative comments that tend to pop up there.

I don't think it's cynical, or something 'evil' for FFG to do.

Those news releases are FFG's way of getting information out and building hype. Commenting on it isn't an inherent right you have; in fact, how many places let you write comments on what is essentially a long-form ad?

They used to do it because the community would react with excitement, which added to the hype; recently, people have been using the comments section to attack FFG. It makes perfect sense to me that they don't want every post where they're trying to generate excitement to devolve into, "Forbidden Alchemy sucks, and Eclipse is better than TI! FFG has sold out!" And it's well within their rights to prevent that - especially since they're giving you a direct link to another forum in which to express those sentiments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:

They used to do it because the community would react with excitement, which added to the hype; recently, people have been using the comments section to attack FFG. It makes perfect sense to me that they don't want every post where they're trying to generate excitement to devolve into, "Forbidden Alchemy sucks, and Eclipse is better than TI! FFG has sold out!" And it's well within their rights to prevent that - especially since they're giving you a direct link to another forum in which to express those sentiments.

This makes perfect sense. And sure, FFG is not doing anything wrong. The tone certainly has shifted in the comments section over the past half year, but I always looked forward to reading thoughts on a game. I think I just posted this thread because I'm bummed to see that go. I do use FFG's forums, so that'd be nice to see some more traffic — it always seems to take a while for them to load (if they do load, that is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see both sides of it. Companies shouldn't fear negative comments but at the same time, they shouldn't be expected to have to open up their ads or announcements to comments, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't a lot of companies that are as accommodating as FFG.

I'm kind of glad they stopped the front page comments. Really, those are announcements for new products they are excited about, and many times they become mini-reviews.

For people new to the site, you'd think no one liked FFG or it's products.

There have been a lot of comments/complaints about products other than the one being announced.I think a year or two ago some dude whined about why FFG had time to make some games, but not the Tide of Iron expansion he wanted. He posted on at least half a dozen announcements.It gets tiresome.

Just earlier this week FFG was announcing a new novel and the first and only comment was whining that a different novel hadn't been released.

FFG has played the pinata many times on it's own boards and hasn't flinched, so no conpsiracy here. FFG has been a friendly company and doesn't have to allow pissy comments on it's front page. I figure if you care that much about an announcement, post in the appropriate forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaleljorson7 wrote:
I'm kind of glad they stopped the front page comments. Really, those are announcements for new products they are excited about, and many times they become mini-reviews.

I appreciated how some people would excited talk about new LCG cards and how they worked in with existing ones. To someone just popping in to see what the hoopla was about, that sort of thing can actually help. (In fact, I got into the AGoT LCG partially because of positive news release comments.) That said, almost every news release over the past few months has had several people complaining about something.

So yes, BGG posters, I am now fully convinced this was a smart move. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed reading all the comments (both good and bad) in the news section. It's a shame it's gone and the front page just isn't the same without it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Kaleljorson7 wrote:
For people new to the site, you'd think no one liked FFG or it's products.
See, up until maybe a year ago, I would have said most of the news item replies were mindless comments of the "OMG, I LUV GAME X!!! CAN'T WAIT!!! YAY!!!" variety. But it was only when the negative comments started cropping up with more frequency that they decided a registered forum was a "better" way to convey an opinion.

Personally I think the comments should have always been in a forum format (just like Wizards does with Magic,) but FFG didn't seem to have any issues with the comments when they were all puppies & unicorns & rainbows courtesy of the raving fanboy segment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.