Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

For those of you interested in a design challenge, I'm posting this up to see if I can get some great PnP games designed that I'll like and want to play.

The types of games I would love to see are:

1) A game of spaceship combat, preferably 1-on-1 or on a similiar scale.

2) A game of interstellar commerce as a space merchant, trucker, smuggler, or luxury liner.

3) A game about trying to colonize a planet.

4) A lighter, solitaire version of Target Earth or X-Com.

5) Any other cool space-themed game you can think of.

I would prefer if if the game didn't involve counters-on-a-map or involve printing out more than 100 cards or similar components. A black-and-white easily printable version would be greatly appreciated. I really am a novice at this PnP stuff, but I tried out Free Trader and am totally obsessed now with the idea of space-themed PnP.

I don't have much to offer the winner, so I can't really make this a contest. However, for every (serious) submission posted before the end of February March, I will commit to one day (8 hours) of work for Habitat For Humanity, a charity group involving the construction of houses to provide low-cost interest-free mortgages to families in need.

What does that have to do with space or submitting games? I have no idea. But sweat and hard work is the only currency I've got to trade with, so I'm offering it. And I love the idea that my hobby is somehow committing to general goodwill in the world. Who knows? Maybe I'll even lose some weight, too. I'll see if I can get pictures of the houses you're helping to get built.

(Since I am now involved in a commercial project involving a space game, I will add anyone who submits a game here to the list of people who will be invited to playtest a free prototype of the game later in this year. I will also not be accepting spaceship combat submissions from now on until I know that alpha testing is completed and that this game is more or less in its final form.)

Submissions:

Galaxy Corporate: Space Trader
Theme: #2. A game of interstellar commerce.
2-4 players
Download Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40952290/Star%20Traders.zip
Feedback Thread
Habitat Info: an abandoned, looted, rotted house in Lynwood, CA was being renovated and having a new addition built. Built part of the foundations for the new master bedroom and the foundations for the new extended kitchen. Lots of working with wood, nails, and saws. Learned how to use a skill saw and how to properly drive in a nail without hurting myself. Pictures pending.

MetalTalon
Theme: #1. A game of spaceship combat.
2-6 players
Download Link: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/99/metaltalon
Game Entry
Habitat Info: My appointment in South Gate was missed due to an unexpected cold/flu that hit me for most of February. I will be scheduling another appointment in March for this project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a worthy cause. I'll see what I can do. The game I'm currently working on mostly fits the bill, but it's also a massive project and I don't think I'll finish it terribly quickly. I can probably put something smaller together, though. It's for charity, after all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I just published one a few days ago. It may or may not be what you're looking for, but if you give it a go, let me know how you like it.

-C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sieffert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that certainly is a good cause. Also, I've been looking for a reason to create a PnP game. I'll give it a shot and see what I come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow's my first Habitat For Humanity constuction gig. I'm a little nervous. I hope I don't accidentally ruin someone's bathroom wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hey, good luck and have fun!

That's something I've always wanted to do but never was able to make time for. Now that several major life events are out of the way, it's on my short list of life changes to make over the course of this year/next year.

I would suggest hiding something game-related in a wall. A lot of contractors do that or used to do that (I found a neato old baseball card when we recently redid our bathroom). It doesn't have to be a full game, but maybe a Magic card or pair of dice or something. Especially something that would clearly indicate the year/time period. Hidden treasures are always neat, no matter how insignificant they may seem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Drake
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146650/fireknife
badge
Burn to learn / learn to burn
mbmbmbmbmb
crifmer wrote:
I would suggest hiding something game-related in a wall. A lot of contractors do that or used to do that (I found a neato old baseball card when we recently redid our bathroom). It doesn't have to be a full game, but maybe a Magic card or pair of dice or something. Especially something that would clearly indicate the year/time period. Hidden treasures are always neat, no matter how insignificant they may seem.

Clearly, after the contest ends, you should do one more day and hide a copy of the winning game. googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
1) A game of spaceship combat, preferably 1-on-1 or on a similiar scale.

I would prefer if if the game didn't involve counters-on-a-map or involve printing out more than 100 cards or similar components. A black-and-white easily printable version would be greatly appreciated.
Back in August of 2002 I made MetalTalon. MetalTalon is a game of spaceship combat where each player typically controls one to five ships at a time. It plays two to six players. All you need are the rules, the board (available in low-ink and high-ink versions), a bunch of spare change, and a d6.

The big "gimmick" in the game is that you get to design your ships "on the fly" as you play. The game does not have a set list of ships you purchase. Instead, the money you spend *becomes* the ship. If you want an armada of small ships, you can do that. If you want one honkin' huge dreadnought, you can do that to. It's all up to you and how you want to play.

Even though the game's been around for a decade, I just uploaded a special revised and updated version to the game's website just for you. You can download the old version and the updated version of the game from: http://www.invisible-city.com/play/99/metaltalon

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Tomorrow's my first Habitat For Humanity constuction gig. I'm a little nervous. I hope I don't accidentally ruin someone's bathroom wall.
The last time I volunteered for H4H, we were doing salvage-oriented demolition. I spent the day shucking shingles off the roof of a house as my friends ripped out the walls underneath me.

So you may actually be called upon to *deliberately* demolish a bathroom wall!

I hope you have a great time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Sounds like a worthy cause. I'll see what I can do. The game I'm currently working on mostly fits the bill, but it's also a massive project and I don't think I'll finish it terribly quickly. I can probably put something smaller together, though. It's for charity, after all!

Thanks. I'm excited about trying out new games, and hope more people decide to try this.

Any idea which of the themes it would fall under?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Thanks. I'm excited about trying out new games, and hope more people decide to try this.

Any idea which of the themes it would fall under?

I'm not sure yet--my creative processes have been forced elsewhere recently. But I have a few ideas with which I'm toying. Whatever I come up with, it's likely to be solitaire--that way, I'll definitely be able to test it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Galaxy Corporate: Space Trader
Theme: #2. A game of interstellar commerce.
2-4 players
Download Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40952290/Star%20Traders.zip
Feedback Thread
Habitat Info: an abandoned, looted, rotted house in Lynwood, CA was being renovated and having a new addition built. Built part of the foundations for the new master bedroom and the foundations for the new extended kitchen. Lots of working with wood, nails, and saws. Learned how to use a skill saw and how to properly drive in a nail without hurting myself.

Hey, I'm an official candidate! Yay! It's actually "Star Traders," but I'm just happy to be here.

I love what you're doing. It's very inspiring, and I like the idea that my game helped spur you on to do good. Can't wait for an update on house #2.

Looking forward to checking out MetalTalon, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Mayeski
Thailand
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have to say... this contest is totally up my alley. To bad my free time is next to nil soblue

I'll see what I can do to submit something! Way to go with the submission prize - its a great one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sieffert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies, but I simply did not have the time this month to create a game. I am still interested in putting the idea inspired by this competition together but it will take some time. I would rather put the time in then create a half-assed game with broken mechanics. Good luck to everybody else. Expect to see my game within a month or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dicenslice wrote:
My apologies, but I simply did not have the time this month to create a game. I am still interested in putting the idea inspired by this competition together but it will take some time. I would rather put the time in then create a half-assed game with broken mechanics. Good luck to everybody else. Expect to see my game within a month or two.

No apologies, necessary. I have been sick for two weeks so I haven't really been as involved as I had hoped to be either. I will continue this project on through March.

Either way, I look forward to seeing your game!.

I likely won't get around to printing/testing until April anyway, as I have several gaming projects to keep my group busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with several plausible preliminary game designs, but haven't had the time/motivation to bring them to completion. A couple do seem promising, but it's too early to tell if they would really work out. The world does need more light space-themed games, so kudos for the contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
I will continue this project on through March.

I'm really happy to see this as in the middle of the night I was hit with wild inspiration for a light, and quite differently themed space game

I don't think you can tell me with a straight face that you haven't dreamed about being a planet (and fostering the growth and flourishing of life while sustaining yourself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Candi wrote:

I don't think you can tell me with a straight face that you haven't dreamed about being a planet (and fostering the growth and flourishing of life while sustaining yourself).

I already love it. I will play this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crifmer wrote:
Candi wrote:

I already love it. I will play this game.

Excellent! The idea was so wild my fiance even started throwing ideas at my whiteboard this morning about it so I'm really pumped for it.

Once the current Art & Game contest is closed for submissions (because then I won't be able to fiddle with my game until the contest is done) I'll divert my full attention to this (and get a WIP thread up for it!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sieffert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that idea sounds AWESOME!!! Do you win when you achieve the next ice age and rid yourself of those pesky humans? Kidding. The idea sounds great though and I look forward to what you put together.

Good luck.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dicenslice wrote:
I have to say that idea sounds AWESOME!!! Do you win when you achieve the next ice age and rid yourself of those pesky humans? Kidding. The idea sounds great though and I look forward to what you put together.

Good luck.laugh

Almost we pruned you Earthdeirdre,
As we may yet prune your branches.

-Deirdre Skye, "Conversations With Planet"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE

I am no longer requesting games from category #1. This is because I am involved in a commercial project involving tactical duels between small fleets of spaceships, and it just occurred to me that taking requests for free game ideas so closely related to the game I am producing is probably not a good idea.

That being said, anyone who submits a free PnP game in one of the above categories will be added to a list of people who will be invited to receive free prototypes for playtesting later this year. This is in addition to the 8 hours of community service I will personally do for Habitat For Humanity in their honor.

This offer is extended to everyone who submits a game in February and March. Thank you and feel free to keep them coming!

I want the market saturated with awesome and accessible sci-fi games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:

I know I've had that dream many times!!
I can't wait to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Candi wrote:

I know I've had that dream many times!!
I can't wait to play it.

WIP Thread for this one is up: WIP - Solar Smiths: Wherein' you aim to make a planet flourish while getting bombarded by asteroids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba P.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:

There's actually an awesome short story about a really similiar thing by Ursula K. LeGuin - The Word for World is Forest : )

And I'd play this game too : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.