ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what one geekmod is telling me. I guess I always thought of these such games more as boardgames than video games really, and that's what I've noticed people have been doing the past few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You'll find a lot of division on this matter, but the official ruling is basically as you state.

I agree with the "they are video games" side of the argument myself, and I've certainly not seen a lot of "people have been doing [otherwise in] the past few years".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make sense to put them on VGG.

However, it would be great to have links from the BGG entry to those pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:

THIS IS A GOOD IDEA AND I SUPPORT IT. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Celinashope wrote:
iklinck wrote:

THIS IS A GOOD IDEA AND I SUPPORT IT. meeple

Video game implementations of board games do go on VGG, but an element of the coming site re-design is to have greater linkage between VGG and BGG on items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

Video game implementations of board games do go on VGG

To never be seen or spoke of again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
T Worthington wrote:
skelebone wrote:

You should go see it and speak of it, there's a lot of great stuff on VGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
We'll add a way to link in electronic versions on BGG (like expansions), but the data will live inside a "videogame" structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
T Worthington wrote:
skelebone wrote:

You should go see it and speak of it, there's a lot of great stuff on VGG.

I have no interest in video games, but I am interested in board games on the ipad. If I am going to interact with a site, I'd like it to be a single portal - not have to navigate back and forth between two different sides of a single site.

Purists may argue that the ipad version of a board game is not a board game, and shouldn't be banned on BGG. But I see no harm in haivng the ipad be listed as a version (which Aldie says is going to happen) and have a Electronic section of the forum for discussions that relate to electronic implementations of that board game. That electronic forum section could be the same between BGG and VGG - but I don't see a point to having a Forbidden Island forum on VGG that is different than the Forbidden Island section of BGG - it is the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asili Eiliaz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This whole question is like watching a committee decide where to put the hard borderline on a nimbus cloud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Spacejack wrote:
This whole question is like watching a committee decide where to put the hard borderline on a nimbus cloud.

Marry me. Have my babies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also advocate for iPad be a searchable feature from the advance search page. That should be an easy add to the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
T Worthington wrote:
I would also advocate for iPad be a searchable feature from the advance search page. That should be an easy add to the database.

it should also be done for Vassal, BSW, boardgamearena, spielbyweb, zuntzu, cyberboard, yucata, windows ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

I have no interest in video games, but I am interested in board games on the ipad. If I am going to interact with a site, I'd like it to be a single portal - not have to navigate back and forth between two different sides of a single site.

I don't understand this argument at all.

It is one portal. It's the geekdo portal. You have a link on the top of the page at all times to switch between them. It's no different than clicking a link to a game or a forum thread or anything else.

It's not like you have to disconnect your internet connection and dial up a new number on your modem to get to VGG.

Welcome to the twentieth century! When you're ready you can join us in the twenty first. It's pretty cool here. Things work really easily. Simple clicks from your desktop to your phone. No prob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
T Worthington wrote:

It is one portal. It's the geekdo portal. You have a link on the top of the page at all times to switch between them. It's no different than clicking a link to a game or a forum thread or anything else.

It's not like you have to disconnect your internet connection and dial up a new number on your modem to get to VGG.

Welcome to the twentieth century! When you're ready you can join us in the twenty first. It's pretty cool here. Things work really easily. Simple clicks from your desktop to your phone. No prob.

I'm not sure why, but for me it's not as simple as this... because if I'm logged into BGG, if I just click on to VGG or RPG, I have to re-log-in all over again. Yeah it's just another username and password, but, I'm lazy

If it could remember the same log-in between geekdo worlds it really would be just a difference of a click and a link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
T Worthington wrote:

If I were so inclined, why wouldn't I click a link to go to a content rich site like gamespot instead? It is just as easy for me to as it is to click the VGG link.

But I am not interested in video games, so what is the value to me to now split the discussion between two sites on a game just because it has an electonic format? Its a simple database schema design issue - decide waht information you want only on BGG, what you want shared and what reisdes only on VGG. Even for a 20th century DB that is not that sophisicated.

In the 21st century the edge between physical and virtual is already well blurred, suggesting that it is of vital importance to define and divide information based on the medium by which it is delivered is what I don't understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
Re: Re: New policy? Do video game implementations of boardgames go to VGG now?
To me they are video games and should be in the video game section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

you got peanut butter in my chocolate...

To me, they are just board games using a different medium. Electronic cards and dice vs paper cards and plastic dice.

When we all have MS Surface tables or holodeck suites, will this all still be a valid argument?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
Bagherra wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

To me, they are just board games using a different medium. Electronic cards and dice vs paper cards and plastic dice.

When we all have MS Surface tables or holodeck suites, will this all still be a valid argument?

there are already plenty of board game style games (lots of wargames) available only on computer devices. should they be listed here right now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mayfield703 wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

there are already plenty of board game style games (lots of wargames) available only on computer devices. should they be listed here right now?

the clear distinction, and easy for everyone to accept is this:

1) its on BGG if the game has a physical board game - and any direct translation of the game rules to a different medium is also on BGG (with shared data with VGG)

2) if there is no physical board game it is on VGG only

3) a game that has the same rules and exists in both physical and digital formats exists on both BGG and VGG - some data is shared between the two sites

Forbidden Island is the same game whether it is played on a board or on an iPad.

World of Warcraft MMO is not the same as World of Warcraft: The Boardgame. The video game is on VGG, the board game is on BGG.

Shadow Era is on VGG until later this year, then a BGG entry will be created (the game is going from digital to physical - the same CCG cards that are online only now). There is some data from VGG that should also appear on BGG. I would argue that the forum entries should be the same, as the game is the same across multiple mediums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno D
United States
East Northport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A boardgame is a boardgame is boardgame

What's the difference between the 10th Anniversary version of your favorite boardgame, or the Italian edition of the same, or the Big Box version of it, or the highly anticipated HD iPad version ???

I don't understand the need or advantage of having Boardgames on VGG.

I would even go as far as to say than a game that was originally introduced or even that only exists in electronic format, it is still a Boardgame and it belongs in BGG.

On another note, if I own a boardgame only on my iPad, I still consider it part of my collection, and if I play the physical or electronic version of a game, I don't want to have to record this on two different sites !!

Granted, I'm free to do as I want and that is great, no need to give any explanations to anyone... but, just saying ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
teg2 wrote:

I understand your desire and enthusiasm, but I don't understand your definition of boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno D
United States
East Northport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
teg2 wrote:

I understand your desire and enthusiasm, but I don't understand your definition of boardgame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardgames is a start whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
teg2 wrote:
apotheos wrote:
teg2 wrote:

I don't see how that definition would include video game adaptations of board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno D
United States
East Northport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
teg2 wrote:
apotheos wrote:
teg2 wrote:

I don't see how that definition would include video game adaptations of board games.

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.