Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started playing B-17. I'm finding a wealth of good aids here, especially some nicely done Mission sheets.

I'm a little confused, however, on the damage boxes on some of the more detailed mission charts.

For example, there are hit boxes for Port and Stb Wing Root, 5 boxes per wing. How do you use them? I haven't seen anything in the rule book that talks about an effect about hits on the wing.

Are these optional rules, or variants that people have created?

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
lichfield
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wing root hits are one of the results on the blue chart (wings). Get five of them on one wing, and yer wing tears off. I've never seen it happen, though, in all the years I've been playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for interest, here's a pic of some actual battle damage on a wing root.

which is about 1.5 hits in game terms....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:

Wing root hits are one of the results on the blue chart (wings). Get five of them on one wing, and yer wing tears off. I've never seen it happen, though, in all the years I've been playing.

Ah, I will check it out. Thanks much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:

...and yer wing tears off. I've never seen it happen, though, in all the years I've been playing.

Sadly I have had it happen two or three times... once to a well seasoned crew, return segment of the mission as well, was a sad game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wing root is where the wing meets the fuselage and is connected to the airframe. The photo of the wing shows damage to the wing itself, the engine, and possibly the flaps, but not the wing root.

I've only come close to losing a wing or the tailplane that way, but I have lost the rudder once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonald
United States
Port Republic
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to four hits on both roots, but lost the plane to a fuel tank fire. I have had the tailplane come off though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
The wing root is where the wing meets the fuselage and is connected to the airframe. The photo of the wing shows damage to the wing itself, the engine, and possibly the flaps, but not the wing root.

I've only come close to losing a wing or the tailplane that way, but I have lost the rudder once.

Maybe there's more internal damage then the photo shows. Anyway, it's a ripper photo. Definitley brown-trouser time for the crew flying home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
The wing root is where the wing meets the fuselage...
Damjon wrote:
...which is about 1.5 hits in game terms....

I always took the "Wing Root" to mean the "Wing Spar" close to the airframe. Damo did say 1.5 hits, so there could be that much damage to the "Root" in this pic.

I forgot about the tail, last campaign I had a rash of tail plane root hits. I have lost a few P/S elevators as well as rudders. But you can make it home from this.

Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked it up on Wikipedia - the wing root is the part of the wing closest to the fuselage. That photo does show a lot of damage so maybe part of the wing root was hit as well, but 30%? Just goes to show you how much damage the B-17 could take and still bring the crews home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It begs the question of how realistic taking 4 hits (80%) damage to the wing root actually is.

Not that I'm saying the rule should be altered (we need all the help we can get).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
...That photo does show a lot of damage so maybe part of the wing root was hit as well, but 30%?.

Looking for construction drawings I found a good picture showing the construction of the wing spars. As you can see there are two spars, one behind the engines and one just infront of the flaps. If you then look at the photo, you will see that the damage goes past the flap area. The image is too dark to see for sure but there could be up to 50% damage here. Either way your statement, "Just goes to show you how much damage the B-17 could take and still bring the crews home",is so true!!

See the two pictures together;

Web Page where picture was found: http://www.airpages.ru/eng/mn/b17_05.shtml
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Plunk
United States
San Bernardino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wing root hit

Tail Plane hit

Rally Point Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a couple of pics of tail plane damage. Both from bomb damage - one friendly and one from enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.