7 Wonders» Forums » General

Subject: Wonder Boards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
O C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So sleeving the cards is one thing, but how about the wonder boards?

I have read on another topic that someone suggested putting super glue on the sides of the corners, but what about the whole side length? And on top of that, even protecting the top and bottom of the boards. I notice some of mine are already starting to get scratches and it feels like the boards are starting to warp.

I've browsed a lot of images in the boards, but haven't found anyone who has bothered doing anything with the wonder boards. I guess the end question is whether or not I'm just worrying too much, or if anyone has found a simple yet effective way to protect the boards.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are worrying too much. The boards need no protection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george bews
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as long as you don't spill anything on them the boards hold up fine. plus you can use the cards for random distribution of them so they do not need to be in tip top shape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeving the boards would be a little extreme. If you're going to go that far you might as well just make copies and play Print-and-Play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
There was supposed to be an earth-shattering KABOOM!
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to the forum today to see if anyone else was having problems with their Wonder player boards. While I have no problems with warping boards, I do feel as though the boards are pretty lousy.

The cardboard itself seems to be of cheap quality, and the linen finish does not go around the edges. Because you slip cards under the corners, cards can get caught and start separating the board material or tear the artwork. Also, the die cut on the boards *and* cards is poor, so that one side is slightly rounded and the other side ends up having a bit of a lip (to the point that several of my cards were actually cupped around each other and required force to separate). So if you are putting a card under the side that is less rounded, the board tearing gets worse.

Within 4 plays of the game, I found that 3 of my boards had corner damage, and 1 had a small piece of art already torn off.

For a game that costs "full price" yet consists of relatively little components, I would expect better component quality all around.

My solution was to use my wife's clear finger nail polish and coat the "resource" corners of the boards. This does two things. It glues the layers of cardboard together to prevent further damage, and it makes a barrier to allow cards to slip under better. I suppose super glue would have been a decent choice, however, I could see that turning into a disaster pretty quickly.

"Painting" two corners of each board was labor intensive and I begrudge the publishers this loss of time. My wife used to use a plastic laminate system to protect her schoolbooks, and she thinks that will be a better solution. Traditional lamination might be ideal, however I doubt the boards would fit back into the plastic box insert.

Also, I plan to sleeve the cards with Mayday's sleeves. This game is going to see a lot of use, and the cards are the crappiest quality of any game I own. (card material... NOT artwork, which is great)

All in all, I love this game, but it represents the most component complaints I've ever had with a "Triple A" game, by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laminate? Can you laminate a thick board like that?

Would you want you?

Anyhow, I don't sleeve mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.