Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Louis Morneau
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I'm going on a trip in 2 months near Amherst, MA.
I'd like to pick up a few games on my way there from Quebec, Canada.
Anybody knows good game retailers close to interstates 91-93 or in Massachusetts (preferably close to Amherst or Worcester)? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Myriad Games has location at exit 2 off Rt. 93 in Salem NH, and another location in Manchester NH (though don't know what part if it's right off Rt. 93 or not)

also see

Friendly Local Game Stores (FLGS) of the USA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sheola
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myriad Games is excellent. I think it's the best game store I've ever seen. It's a little bit out of our your way, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Myriad Games has location at exit 2 off Rt. 93 in Salem NH, and another location in Manchester NH (though don't know what part if it's right off Rt. 93 or not)

also see

Friendly Local Game Stores (FLGS) of the USA

The Manchester NH location is across from the Mall of NH, so you'd make a right onto 101 after exit 5 and get off at exit 1, making a left at the light then a right into the plaza with Hobby Lobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've picked a good area for game stores!

Along the 91 corridor in MA, my fave is Greenfield Games in Greenfield. It's maybe 40 minutes from Amherst. Best selection I've seen anywhere, with a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Sometimes some good deals on used games.

Right in Amherst is Worlds Apart, a board game store run by a co-op. It's near the center. It's tucked back and out of the way, but sometimes has a sandwich board up by the main sidewalk.

Closer to 91 in Northampton is Modern Myths.

On route 9, which connects Amherst to route 91, is X-9 in the Hampshire Mall in Hadley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Nozik
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your travels take you through or near the Albany, NY area, you might check out two stores:

Grimfoe Games, 598 Columbia Turnpike, East Greenbush, NY 12061

ZOMBIE PLANET, 1238 Central Avenue, Albany, NY 12205
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Morneau
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

I'll make sure to plan my trip accordingly and spend a few dollars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone beat me to it!

Traveling down I-93, definitely hit up both Myriad Games in Manchester, NH, and Myriad Games in Salem, NH. Their Manchester store is larger, but I'm still amazed at how much they were able to fit into their smaller Salem store. Both stores have an incredible variety of games, as well as hard-to-find or out-of-print games. Their website is http://www.myriadgames.com/.

Traveling down I-91, hit up both Greenfield Games in Greenfield, MA, and Greenfield Games in Hadley, MA. The location in Greenfield is the larger store, and carries a lot of tabletop minis games (WH, WH40K, Warmachine, Malifaux, etc.) that their Hadley location does not. The location in Hadley is in a mall, and carries mostly board games (which the Greenfield location also carries). Their website is http://www.greenfieldgames.com/.

Do yourself a favor, and don't bother with any other game stores in the area. I've been to them all, and these two are the only ones worth visiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Morneau
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I might be short on time but I'll definitely check these two stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myriad Games
United States
Salem, Manchester, and Amherst
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind recommendations, folks. We'll look forward to seeing you, Louis!

- Dan Yarrington
Myriad Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations, folks! blush

Oh, and BTW - If you're going to be near Worcester be sure to stop by Spare Time Shop in Marlborough... assuming it's still in business. They stopped carrying games several years ago but they still have a dusty corner filled with their remaining stock. I always find something interesting when I'm there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting. I am traveling in NH and my BGG search brought me to this thread. I visited the Manchester store today and it was great. They have a very large selection of games, and I was able to find something I have not been able to find in my FLGS. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exit 91 on I-91 is Northampton (Rt 9). It's what you'll probably be taking to get to Amherst. Coming from the north, if you turn right and go down a little bit, you'll come to a strip mall containing Modern Myths on your left (a Post Office on your right.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke of Lizards
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
Do yourself a favor, and don't bother with any other game stores in the area. I've been to them all, and these two are the only ones worth visiting.

As someone who lives in the area, I'd have to respectfully disagree. The Greenflield location seems to have a smaller board game selection these days. The GG store in the mall has a pretty good selection of boardgames. However, Modern Myths has titles that aren't found at other stores (e.g., I remember seeing Strasbourg and Le Havre there recently. While in general I don't frequent Off The Wall Games, they have some OOP games on the shelves at retail price (BattleLore and Mystery of the Abbey last time I was in), so it may be worth checking out. The selection at Worlds apart and X9 are much smaller.

There is a fair amount of open gaming in the Amherst area, too. If you're interested in some while here, shoot me a GeekMail and I'll try to point you in the right direction. Safe travels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.