Popular Tags: BSG_variants [+] [View All]
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for opening up a new thread, but the amount of change (and keeping the old one for history and reference) warrants it IMHO.
Also excuse me for this oncoming WALL OF TEXT! It's gonna be huge.
See the original rules and crisis cards for Colony in PBF V6, here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7685128#7685128

This is new Objective: Colony: upon reaching 7 distance or more setup the Battle of Colony.
It comes with a new board (6 locations) and a new victory condition (Rescuing Hera)

Victory
Humans win if Hera is on position 1-2 and FTL is activated.
If Colony is destroyed (because of damage tokens or Racetrack's Dead Hand) immediately lose 3 morale for the death of Hera. If at this point the humans didn't lose, they win.

Setup
Remove all civilian ships from the board. Ignore any game effect that would place them.
Any human holding a Repair may immediately use it to repair vipers.
Place 1-1 vipers into sector 5 and 6.
(CAG has choice of placing MkII or Mk7 into either sector)
Any pilot may immediately launch into an additional viper to either sector. (even from the Brig)
Then place 3-3 raiders into sector 1 and 4.
Any human may immediately move to the leftmost position of the Assault Track (even from the Brig)

If the Destination selected going to Colony would place ships on the main game board:
- Remove heavies and civilians
- Keep raiders
- Exchange every basestar for 2 raiders
Pegasus and Colonial One becomes unavailable for the rest of the game. Place any characters on either ships to Command.
Basestar Bridge and the Cylon Fleet board becomes unavailable for the rest of the game. Place any cylons there to Cylon Command.

Place 3 defender tokens and Hera on position 6 of the Assault Track.

Colony Board
d10-1 Colony board has 7 locations and the Colony Assault Track (6 positions, each of them corresponding to one location) plus The Breach.
d10-2 Humans can move between Galactica and Colony WITHOUT discarding a skill card. Cylons can also move between the Cylon Locations and Colony without discarding a skill card.
d10-3 Each human gains the following abilities while on the Assault Track:
Quote:
Movement or Action: If there are no defenders on your position, you may move one step to either direction. If Hera is on the same position as you are, you may move her with you.

Quote:
Action: Roll a die, on 4-7 destroy one defender on the same position as you. On 8, destroy all defenders on your position. You may discard a Maximum Firepower to reroll this roll.

Quote:
Move: Discard a skill card to move any Galactica location

d10-4Cylons can only use locations which are to the right of any human player.
(including the one which the rightmost human is standing on)
Humans can only use locations which are to the left of any human player.
Everyone can activate The Breach without restriction.

The Breach wrote:
Human Action: Place yourself on Position 1 of the Assault Track
Cylon Action: Roll a die. On 1-4 place a centurion on the Boarding Track

Position 1 - Opera House wrote:
Human Action: Discard a skill card to ignore the next Racetrack's Dead Hand icon this round.
Cylon Action: Roll a die. On 1-3 -1 morale, 4-7 -1 population

Position 2 - Colony Turret wrote:
Human Action: Discard 2 random skill cards to ignore Cylon Activation step this round.
Cylon Action: Roll a die. On 4-6 Damage Galactica, on 7-8 draw 2 Galactica damage tokens and choose one to resolve.

Position 3 - Raider Bays wrote:
Human Action: Remove up to 2 raiders from any one space sector
Cylon Action: Place 3 raiders in any one sector

Position 4 - Colony Defenses wrote:
Cylon Action: Target a human player on the same position as a defender, then roll a die:
1: Human is executed
2-6: Human is sent to Sickbay
Human action: Destroy one defender anywhere on the Assault Track.

Position 5 - Resurrection Chamber wrote:
Cylon Action: Discard a skill card to decrease the Racetrack's Dead Hand counter by one.
Human Action: Draw 2 crisis cards. Discard one and resolve the other. Ignore the Cylon activation and Racetrack's Dead Hand icons.

Position 6 - Cylon Command wrote:
Cylon Action: If there are no humans on the same position as the Hera, move her one position to the right OR activate every defender. Then if there are less than 3 defenders on the track, place one on position 7

Damaging Colony
d10-1 Colony has 6 damage tokens, one for each location (except The Breach)
d10-2 Colony can be damaged by crisises or by Weapons Control, on a roll of 4+.
d10-3 Noone can activate damaged Colony locations (not even with The Plan)
d10-4 Humans standing on Colony locations (NOT the corresponding Track position) are sent to Sickbay, Cylons are sent to Resurrection Ship.
d10-5 Admiral gains the following action:
Quote:
Action: Discard a nuke token to damage Colony twice

d10-6 Humans can repair Colony using Repair as usual, while Cylons gain the following action:
Quote:
Action: Discard any Engineering Skill Card to repair any Colony location.

d10-7 If all 6 Colony locations are damaged, Colony is destroyed and Hera is killed. (see Victory section)

Cylon Activations
Raider icon: works as usual.
Heavy icon: Only activate centurions.
Defender icon: If the leftmost defender is on the same position as a human, roll a die. On 6+ that player is sent to Sickbay. An Evasive Maneuver may be discarded by humans to reroll this die (with the -2 on next roll)
Otherwise if the leftmost defender is on Position 1, roll a die:
1-4: Damage Galactica
5-8: Place a centurion on the Boarding Party Track
Otherwise move the leftmost defender one position to the left.
All defender icon: same as defender icon, but perform with EVERY defender.
Place defenders icon: Place 3 raiders in a random space area (die roll: 1-6: corresponding sector, 7-8: current player's choice), and 2 defenders on position 6.

Racetrack's Dead Hand
There are no jump icons on Colony crisises. Instead some of them have "Racetrack's Dead Hand" marker. If a crisis has this marker, then during the "Prepare for Jump" phase increase the Racetrack's Dead Hand counter by one. If it reaches 12, Colony is blown into the Black Hole (and the game immediately ends). Each human on the Colony is immediately executed (plus an additional 3 morale is lost on the death of Hera). See the Victory conditions for resolution. and everyone loses.

Colony Crisis deck
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Under construction

Other stuff
- Roll the Hard Six and Raptor Assault can be used to damage Colony
- By Your Command activates the leftmost defender.
- Major Victory CAN be used on defenders (a way for the humans to boost morale)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Itor
Scotland
Dundee
Angus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checkin in
Wiil give thoughts in a bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseared Ferenczy
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
First of all, I paid very little attention to the colony the first time you were working on this, so this may have already come up and I apologize if I am being redundant. The way it is currently worded, a human on the assault track cannot be XOd to move back to Galactica if he wanted because it is phrased as a movement ability which you can only do on your turn. Was this on purpose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you land your viper on an XO? I seem to remember that no, but my basegame rules are not here. It's meant to be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the Unofficial FAQ:

Quote:
Q: When piloting a viper, when can you choose to land?
A: (Tim, FFG, to fizzmore): Whenever you have a move available, such as during your movement or the move granted by an XO or State of Emergency (but not during an action; you can use an action to move to an adjacent sector but not to land). (During January and February of 2011, this was temporarily ruled to be "only during your movement step.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, noted, and changed to Movement or Action move.

Now how about the other new stuff? (locations, Hera token, Racetrack's Dead Hand)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseared Ferenczy
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry, I wanted time to chew on everything and see if I found any flaws. My biggest gut reaction is that it seems really counter-intuitive that the cylons can lose the colony and come out of it as winners. We lost our base and probably most of cylon leaders, but at least those pesky humans are dead. Seems sort of Pyrrhic at best. I think I would like to see the destruction of the colony be a mutual loss, but I'm also extremely hesitant to include a mutual loss as a mechanic. Alright team, we know we aren't winning this, let's scout and force Racetrack to blow us all up. I can understand how that would not be fun. I do like the significant cost to humans to blowing up Hera. It is a winnable situation, but not one that players should be pushing for.
A lot of the numbers look good, but may need to be fudged a little bit in one direction or another after a couple of play tests to make it balanced. The biggest thing that jumps out to me is the role of cylon leaders in all of this, and that is assuming you are using that at all. A cylon leader who wants the humans to win but did not infiltrate before the colony really has jack all to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jared does make some fine points. It would actually make damaging the Colony a feasible strategy for the Cylons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:

d10-2 Humans can move between Galactica and Colony WITHOUT discarding a skill card.
Quote:

Don't these contradict each other, or am I misunderstanding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
TDaver wrote:

d10-2 Humans can move between Galactica and Colony WITHOUT discarding a skill card.
Quote:

My guess is that he meant "from Galactica to Colony" (between in the "forward" direction rather than in both directions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
oriecat wrote:
TDaver wrote:

Quote:

My guess is that he meant "from Galactica to Colony" (between in the "forward" direction rather than in both directions)

No. You can move from any Galactica location to any Colony LOCATION without discarding a skill card. You can move from any Colony LOCATION to Galactica without discarding a skill card.
You can move onto the assault track by activating The Breach location.
You can LEAVE the Assault Track by discarding a skill card.

Assault Track != Colony Location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripshawd wrote:
Jared does make some fine points. It would actually make damaging the Colony a feasible strategy for the Cylons.

Cylons can't actively damage Colony. Humans can repair Colony (and can decrease RDH with some crisises - but you'll see) so I don't think that's an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
j0frenzy wrote:
A cylon leader who wants the humans to win but did not infiltrate before the colony really has jack all to do.

All the Cylon Locations except Basestar Bridge is still available. He can still infiltrate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseared Ferenczy
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
TDaver wrote:
j0frenzy wrote:
A cylon leader who wants the humans to win but did not infiltrate before the colony really has jack all to do.

All the Cylon Locations except Basestar Bridge is still available. He can still infiltrate.

Alright, I misread that. I thought all cylon locations were off limits. I still see a realistic strategy being for cylons to go to Caprica to up the RDH track to blow up their own base to kill off humanity's morale, but I think that problem would exist even if the loss of the colony was a mutual game loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We could ignore RDH on Caprica, if that helps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Itor
Scotland
Dundee
Angus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripshawd wrote:

The only catch is that the best way to do that is to infilitrate and then start shooting with weapons control. It is kinda a slow process.

a cylon admiral could really make a mess of things though.

I have totally considered the who blow ourselves up to win strategy when it came up. And what's more, it's the type of plan i'd try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: the "infiltration thingie" has been removed. (except for Cylon Leaders who are not really that often played for Colony )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Kominiarczuk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One quick question:
TDaver wrote:
Colony Turret wrote:
Cylon Action: Roll a die. On 4-7 Damage Galactica

What happens when you roll an 8? Nothing, as with results below 4, or maybe something special, e.g. "damage Galactica twice" or like with original "Colony Turret 2" - draw 2 damage tokens and choose one to resolve? As it is right now, it seems counterintuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ZsuEtAm wrote:
One quick question:
TDaver wrote:
Colony Turret wrote:
Cylon Action: Roll a die. On 4-7 Damage Galactica

What happens when you roll an 8? Nothing, as with results below 4, or maybe something special, e.g. "damage Galactica twice" or like with original "Colony Turret 2" - draw 2 damage tokens and choose one to resolve? As it is right now, it seems counterintuitive.

Yeah I forgot something off there I'll edit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Kominiarczuk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! Now, that's something. Actually, I'm a little bit concerned - isn't destroying the Galactica far too easy now, with the revised Colony Turret and all those Raiders free from any distraction in form of civilian ships? Although it is highly dependent on the frequency of the "Activate Raiders" icon in the Colony Crisis Deck.

I like the notion about Colony's destruction being equivalent to a mutual loss, at least when it happens because of the RDH (which propably should be ignored when the Caprica location is activated). As it is, if only Morale was high enough, as a human I would prefer nuking the Colony everytime, especially with more than one nuke in store - and as a Cylon, I would just blast Galactica as quickly as possible. It's only 6 locations anyway.

Even if one team is repairing their base (and barring extremely low Morale count, I don't really see humans repairing the Colony), they're using actions and losing skillcards because of being hit. It would be nice if only the Colony was somehow capable of repairing itself; eg. "at the end of each turn, roll a die; 4-8 - repair one Colony location".

There seems to be another easy solution: you can just reorganize the Colony locations' order. I propose exchanging the Colony Turret with the Raider Bays - but keep Raider Bays' Human Action for the Turret! RB location may need something else instead, or it may be "Cylon Only" location at the far end, just as the Turret is at the moment (though I would very much like if all locations, except for the Cylon Command, were "shared"). What if the Opera House's Human Action was similar to a Scout or maybe Boomer's OPT, and it's current ability to ignore the Cylon Activation was transfered to the far-end Raider Bays (maybe at a lower or no-cost whatsoever, considering how hard it could be to get to the end of the Assault Track)?

BTW - do you have any plans concerning the battle of the Resurrection Hub, e.g. as another endgame or maybe an alternative to the regular Sleeper Agent Phase with the Colony in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was actually thinking the same thing in that it seems like the best move is to keep morale above three and just destroying the colony as fast as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't really play variants. But I'm gratified that you took my semi-serious suggestion of "Racetrack's Dead Hand" and ran with it. It looks like it would substitute morale for population (in the base game), i.e., instead of humans wanting to conserve population for the end game, they will want to conserve morale and advance Racetrack as quickly as possible.

Thematically, Racetrack would have destroyed Galactica along with the Colony if the battlestar hadn't already jumped away. "Racetrack's Dead Hand" might work better as an end-of-game timer. If she fires her nukes, everybody loses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Kominiarczuk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing. I don't really like the idea of keeping standard Cylon locations in game. Are they that needed? How they translate into fluff? I'm concerned mostly about the Caprica and the Human Fleet (besides Galactica, there is no "[Ragtag] Human Fleet" at the moment - civilian ships are somewhere else), the "Cylon Fleet" has been reduced to the Raiders in space and the Colony itself, and lore-wise, Resurrection Ships are out of order at the time of the battle.

What do you think about further changes in the locations, in a way that would give players more choices and at the same time - force them to stay on the Colony? E.g. "Raider Bays - Cylon Action: Place 3 raiders in any one sector OR activate all Raiders", or "Opera House - Cylon Action: Draw 2 Colony Crisis Cards, choose one to resolve, and place the other on the bottom of the deck. No Cylon Activation nor Racetrack's Dead Hand steps." Instead of being sent to the Resurrection Ship, Cylons in damaged locations could discard their hand or just random cards and go back to the Cylon Command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All fair points, I think I will change RDH into a mutual loss (should I raise to 12?)

Also, I need some help with rewording.
Quote:
Cylons can only use locations which are to the right of any human player.
Humans can only use locations which are to the left of any human player.

Currently if the last human on the Assault Track gets sent to Sickbay humans can't get back, because they cannot activate The Breach. That is obviously not what I want.

As for Damage? This endgame is exactly about keeping Galactica floating until Hera can be rescued. But I see the wisdom in putting Colony Turret closer down the line, so it can be shut down earlier.

I can see the wisdom in merging the cylon locations onto Colony but:
- I'd really like to keep Opera House's action
- IF you put "activate raiders" on Raider Bays, where can you activate CENTURIONS (on the boarding party track)?
- No, I don't want to increase it to 7, that would make it much harder for the humans (unless victory is possible on 1-3. how does that sounds?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Itor
Scotland
Dundee
Angus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthbalmung wrote:
I was actually thinking the same thing in that it seems like the best move is to keep morale above three and just destroying the colony as fast as possible.

in the colony games i've played i have a 100% cylon rate.

morale had always been my first target in those games for the exact reason stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.