Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation – The Next Phase» Forums » General

Subject: This or the base? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was going to get just the base or the standalone expansion (at least for the moment), should I get this one or the base set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ludgate
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, get this version.

While the base set does have the main TNG characters (this has alternate versions of them), it's more than compensated by the fixed balance issues that were found in the first version.

This version's Space Deck isn't nearly as scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are more into Klingons get the original which has the Klingon civil war scenario. If you are more into Romulans get the new set which includes the Romulan reunification scenario. Both have a Borg mission and both have the basic exploration scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Copying Kythrid:

If you are more into Ferengis, get the original which has lots of Ferengis in the star base deck. If you are more into Cardassians, get the new set which includes lots of Cardassians in the star base deck.

The Next Phase is more well balanced and less prone to runaway leader in the free-for-all ("exploration") scenario. It also has some interesting alternative goals (collecting items). But most of the familiar characters and ships (and more familiar versions of them) are in the Premier Edition (original).

If you plan to get both eventually, I'd suggest getting The Next Phase now and treating the Premier Edition as an expansion that will make the game feel more challenging (via more randomness and less balance - but not as dramatic when the two sets are mixed together). Or better yet, get them both together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ellis
United States
Aloha
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Try a new game today :)
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd lean toward this one but agree that owning both is best :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludgate wrote:

This version's Space Deck isn't nearly as scary.

If you are referring to the first set I couldn't agree more and all because of one card and one card alone ... and my experience with it.

It's an event card in the space deck with a picture of Q dressed in medieval garb and which requires a diplomacy of 10+ or your ship takes 10 damage. Either way the card goes back in the space deck.

In one game I ran into this sucker three times in a matter of about 15 minutes .... I obviously PO'd the Continuum .. Sheesh!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx all! I'll get this one. It's actually for my friend. He's a bit of a collector anyhow so I doubt he'd stop at just this set anyhow. But if this one's better on it's own than the other, then I'm sold. I was already leaning towards Star Trek DBG for him anyhow, but I'm glad to hear that the next phase is more balanced as I read some annoyed reviews of the base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.