Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
◄ əpıʌɐp ►
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, this week the GotW trophy landed on one truly deserving Geek!

I had the pleasure of being approached by Alf in a very odd way... I wrote a positive comment about The Road to Canterbury after having played the game a couple of times (I was delighted from the design: Geeks of the world, try this game!!), and within a few hours Alf sent me a very kind and thankful geekmail, just for telling me that my comment made his day!

He's a guy that cares for his games, that's sure!

Congrats, Alf, and keep designing such great games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so psyched that Alf is the Geek of the Week! He is definitely very deserving of the honor. It is so cool that all of BGG is now able to learn a bit about a guy who is not only a great friend, but talented and brilliant, too!

The biggest of congratulations to you, Alf! Although I can't speak for all of our friends, along with the BGDG, too, I'm quite sure that all of them are as proud of you as I am! Keep up the good work, my friend! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobbit DM
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bayushi Sezaru wrote:
Hey, this week the GotW trophy landed on one truly deserving Geek!

I had the pleasure of being approached by Alf in a very odd way... I wrote a positive comment about The Road to Canterbury after having played the game a couple of times (I was delighted from the design: Geeks of the world, try this game!!), and within a few hours Alf sent me a very kind and thankful geekmail, just for telling me that my comment made his day!

He's a guy that cares for his games, that's sure!

Congrats, Alf, and keep designing such great games!

Exactly! He sent me a huge tip just for noticing that the 3 games of his deal with baddies in that geeklist I mentioned! Great guy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Alf!

Hoping to see soon your next design!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Alf! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Alf! It couldn't happen to a nicer guy! I can't wait to see your next designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Alf! I picked up your game, The Road to Canterbury, at BGG.CON last year and have really enjoyed introducing it my friends. It's a great 3-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Alf! A well deserved GotW

Here's a couple of questions from me:

1. I am (as you know) a pretty big fan of The Road To Canterbury - I find it a pretty tight game to play; there's so little fat there, it's been trimmed to within an inch of its life! All games go through transition, so what - if anything - was cut from the final version?

2. I really, really suck at Trollhalla. Strategy tips! Please!

3. What's your dream book that you'd like to attempt to translate into a game? How would you go about it?

4. What was the last game you played and how did it do?

That's it! Have a great week dude!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Congrats Alf. Enjoy your week of fame, fortune and glory.

Just one quick question from me.

What spurred the change of theme from Trolls to Chaucer?

Thanks, anomander64--it's a good question.

What spurred the change of theme from Trolls to Chaucer?

I think the two have more in common that even I first realized. Playing a hideous troll that hides out under bridges waiting to extort (or eat) the travelers who cross isn't so different from playing a medieval Pardoner out to prey on Pilgrims by offering fake indulgences in exchange for coins. One game begins with a grunt, the other a cackle. I seem to have fun making games about villains, it appears! There's lots more about this Chaucer-wise evolution in my designer diary if you're interested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
Just being curious: Have you met users from BGG in real life? Or has it just been all virtual so far?

Thanks, Engoduun.

Just being curious: Have you met users from BGG in real life? Or has it just been all virtual so far?
I'm curious, too--and I'm still thinking about it. There are a fair number of people I know locally (especially through the Board Game Designers Guild of Utah and the shop Game Night Games) who are on BGG. But I'm trying to think if there is anyone I met first on BGG who I only later met in person. Still banging the trollish rocks together and can't think of any. (Maybe some of you can remind me?) That being said, I did meet Don Lloyd (designer of Dark Horse) though BGG and I'll be seeing him at SaltCon in a couple weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congrats Alf!

d10-1What is your favourite class/race when playing a RPG?
d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4Having fun?
d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Alf?
d10-6What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

Enjoy your week!

Thanks, Narl!

d10-1What is your favourite class/race when playing a RPG?
I like Druids, Mages, and Clerics. For the brief time I played WoW, I liked my Night Elf Rogue.

But really, I just want to play trolls.

d10-2Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
Autumn. All those colors on Hell's Backbone Road near Escalante, Utah.

d10-3Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
I've played guitar and electric guitar for about 25 years, partly with a band, partly solo. More info here.

d10-4Having fun?
Do you mean, right now? Well, yes!

d10-5What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Alf?
I was named Alfred after my Danish grandfather. I was lucky I was a boy: when my mom adopted a cat (that I then adopted from her) she named it "Alfrida." I fear that a similar naming destiny would have come my way had I been born a girl.... (I renamed this beloved cat, though still honoring my mom--I just left off the first syllable.)

d10-6What is your favourite snack?
Chai. Pretty much a safe answer to anything. NOT, mind you, the sicky sweet syrupy stuff you buy in tetra-packs. I mean the stuff you make yourself at home grinding spices and letting it boil for a long time. I make very good chai, or so I am told.

d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
Good Scandinavian Pagan that I'm inclined to be, I say Wednesday, so as not to bring down the wrath of Odin/Wotan!

d10-8What is your favourite time of day?
Anytime I'm drinking chai. Otherwise, anytime after drinking chai.

d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
Somebody without a red shirt!

Hey, therein lies a promising game design idea: make a game where you have limited wardrobe options as a grunt-level crew member on a starship, and you own way more red shirts than makes you feel quite comfortable. Before each mission you have to figure out how to use the laundry to bleach and combine colors with other bleedable clothing or dyes, etc., to make sure your outfit isn't a color that will have the scriptwriters kill you off once you beam planetside. Hmmm.....

d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
Did I mention Chai? The other safe answer to any question: If not for Love, then what?

d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
To make a living through creativity in a way that counts as "right livelihood." And, of course, to have the songs I've written for James Bond and J.R.R. Tolkien used in official films.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
insearchofspace wrote:
I am impressed by your contributions to the Bulwer-Lytton (Bad) Fiction Contest!
If there was an equivalent contest for game design, which game would you nominate?

Hey, thanks, insearchofspace! I rate the quality of my contributions by the number of muscles that cringe after hearing them.

I haven't played the game in question, but I love the premise behind the game Paparazzi. It might make a good candidate. And I'm certainly intrigued by the caveman clubbing game Aargh!Tect!

I bet you (and others) have ideas of your own. What games might be the equivalent of good "bad fiction" in Bulwer-Lytton entries?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nadgamgee wrote:
alfseegert wrote:

If anybody can tell me how to link URLs to text without adding all the actual clunky address, I'm all ears.....I can't get the URL feature to work right

Quote to see: Werner Herzog

Ah, thank you, Nad! I've gone back and tidied up some of the URLs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow BGGers kind enough to comment here in this thread!

I just want to say how very pleased (and touched) I am at all the very kind words you've had to say, and for your congratulations. I'm honored! modest

....and I'm going to sleep. I look forward to answering more questions tomorrow! (I'm looking at you, Michael Fox/Little Metal Dog!) cool

Quick response to your question about Trollhalla, Michael. One key strategy to remember: I know that as a Sea Troll you really want to eat that luscious Pig & Peasant right now, but please, avoid taking the game pieces internally. If you DO, be sure to consume a vast quantity of Grog to send them back up! More goodies like this one tomorrow!

Huge thanks again for all of your generous postings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Alf!
How will you find time to deal with all the extra attention this list will bring you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meshell Heelbeck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
[i]....and I'm going to sleep. I look forward to answering more questions tomorrow! (I'm looking at you, Michael Fox/Little Metal Dog!) cool

Uh! You are right, a question. I have one.

Are you planning another game with trolls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

My usual questions:
- Ever played any RPG's?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterpart?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Alf! I was very surprised to see you were the GotW. I look forward in seeing the game you hinted only a year ago about...or there was another? Enjoy the limelight this week and I'll catch up with you and all of the BGDGers during Saltcon in a couple of weeks.

questions:
I believe I have never seen you clean shaven. What age were you when you decided on the keeping the whiskers?

What is your favorite 100 years of History?

Since you have entered Hippodice a bunch of times, and ranking very high, what is the best thing you like about the Hippodice competition?

For up-and-coming board game designers, what words of wisdom would you give them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Lino Lakes
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been a big kickstarter supporter and look forward to Fantastiqa! I love seeing new designers in the fray. Question:

What will Fantastiqa bring to the table other games haven't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
I've played guitar and electric guitar for about 25 years, partly with a band, partly solo. More info here.

I have been listening to the music in your link while checking my subscriptions on the Geek. Very pleasant music to my ears. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Starke
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Alf!

Liked the interview GAMES Magazine did with you in their latest issue! (especially about your submissions for bad intros to stories...)

BTW, is that the same picture? It certainly looks that way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fps_bgg wrote:
Congratulations, Alf!

Liked the interview GAMES Magazine did with you in their latest issue! (especially about your submissions for bad intros to stories...)

BTW, is that the same picture? It certainly looks that way...

Hey, thanks, fps_bgg! I had no idea that this issue of GAMES Magazine was even out yet! So I haven't seen it yet myself (and I don't see it on their website yet, so I guess it's only in print). I wasn't 100% sure which picture they would use, so yes, it might be the same. Hope that doesn't get me in trouble.... I don't have many good gaming pictures (when I'm actually playing, I'm thinking about the game, not thinking about taking pictures). Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
alfseegert wrote:

I have been listening to the music in your link while checking my subscriptions on the Geek. Very pleasant music to my ears. Thanks.

Hey, thanks Narl! I certainly never expected to get a commendation on my songwriting on BGG, and here it is. I appreciate that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
knatebaker wrote:
I have been a big kickstarter supporter and look forward to Fantastiqa! I love seeing new designers in the fray. Question:

What will Fantastiqa bring to the table other games haven't?

Ooh, there is so much I'd like to say about Fantastiqa. It's taking every ounce of my self control not to say anything more yet--but I need to hold off until it's officially announced. Beyond that, I'd much rather SHOW than TELL, so please look forward to some sort of video demonstration of the game when the Kickstarter campaign kicks in this summer. But I'm really grateful for you interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.