DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mb
alfseegert wrote:
Whoa, I think I am actually caught up on the questions! If I have missed yours somewhow, drop me a note to remind me, OK? This is fun--thanks for joining in the conversation!

My question for you (i.e., anyone inclined to respond): why do board games matter to you? They do matter, hugely, to me. I'm convinced that they have a strange healing power simply by getting us to sit down together and look each other in the eyes and share in a fictional adventure together. I'd be curious about your own reasons why boardgames are important enough to bother not only to play them, but to read about them, contribute to threads like this one....

So many of you have said so many incredibly kind things in this thread. I'm humbled and grateful. blush

Hi Alf. Good question. For me its the social aspect of gaming. Sharing a history, friendly competistion and such. I think that games (like books and movies) gives you a sanctuary from the real world and the big difference from eg books is that it is social.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocab wrote:
Hi Alf. Good question. For me its the social aspect of gaming. Sharing a history, friendly competistion and such. I think that games (like books and movies) gives you a sanctuary from the real world and the big difference from eg books is that it is social.

Yes, absolutely. And I love how you put it, Jocab: sanctuary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, my week is just about up--so it's time for me to reveal my two truths and a lie. Let's start with #3.

Quote:
3. In an attempt to meet the members of the rock band Rush in the early 1990s when their tour brought them to Salt Lake, alfseegert naively waited outside a likely hotel hoping they would "just happen" to arrive. Instead, a limo pulled up and out stepped...Richard Simmons. He didn’t seem pleased to see alfseegert. And then Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson of Rush showed up and alfseegert got their autographs. Nice guys.

This is completely TRUE. And it was indeed one of the odder, and happier, days of my life. Geddy and Alex were true gentlemen--both shook my hand and signed autographs on the way to the tour bus. As for the other, more bizarre, encounter....any angsty weirdness about Richard Simmons has been long since mended, in large part thanks to his brilliant performance in this sketch from Who's Line is it, Anyway?--possibly their funniest (and bawdiest) sketch ever. Chaucer would, I think, have enjoyed viewing this sequence immensely.

Quote:
2. As a child in 1979 alfseegert won the Battlestar Galactica Coloring Contest for all of Salt Lake City, attaining special recognition for "shiniest Cylons."

Despite the poll results (which strongly favor this option as my lie), everything in this statement is completely TRUE. And one of my prouder childhood moments. It didn't start out with promise: I overcolored the page with silver crayon and was afraid that all was lost. But then I had the idea that maybe some things can be undone: I grabbed a butterknife and scraped away the over-used silver and it produced an interesting effect, making those Cylons glimmer. Yes, I did receive a note with my first-prize award saying that these were the shiniest Cylons they had seen in the competition. I was given a very welcome check for $25.00 which I spent on the LP's The Story of Star Wars and the full (double-vinyl) soundtrack to Superman.

There was an unexpected followup thirty-two years later. During my first year as a professor at the University of Utah, my colleague Anne Jamison co-taught a class on "Smart TV: Exploring Television as Art and Literature" which brought in various speakers, and one of the perks is that I was invited to attend. (Amber Benson from Buffy the Vampire Slayer came--which I loved--and there was a Skype interview with screenwriter Jane Espensen.) But the dormant 9-year-old's pleasure kicked back in bigtime when Richard Hatch came to speak (Apollo in the 70's series, Tom Zarek in the 2000s series) -- and I was invited to a very small dinner with him and the two designers/instructors for the course. Very fun, and he gave me a signed copy of So Say We All, a collection of essays on Battlestar Galactica. (I gave him Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, which I was teaching at the time.) He laughed when I told him the coloring contest story.

Quote:
1. In the 1990s alfseegert worked at Hansen Planetarium as a Lecturer in the Star Theater. He was able to whirl the projected stars around the dome at dizzying speeds--to the delight of often-inebriated fans of late-night Pink Floyd and Barry Manilow laser shows. If somebody in the audience got too dizzy and threw up, they’d reach into the science closet for resources, pour freezing liquid nitrogen on the mess, and then scrape up the icy horror into a trash bin. It was a surprisingly tidy and oddly satisfying sci-fi solution.

This one contains a LIE. But not a very big one.

First, there's no lie about the sci-fi method of vomit cleanup. We staff members had LOTS of fun with liquid nitrogen at the Planetarium. (If you dip a racketball in it, it will shatter when you drop it--which we would do from one floor above the pendulum platform). For approved science demos, I also filled balloons with oxygen, attached them to beakers and froze them in liquid nitro, condensing liquid oxygen in the process. I then would pour the liquid O2 onto lit cotton balls. I still have a small scar where a molten cotton ball landed on my arm after it ignited and went flying....

Methinks this is not an experiment I would repeat today.

Second, I did work as a Lecturer and got to spin stars around the dome with the Digistar Star Projector. This involved not only educational star shows, but also laser shows: Laser Beatles, Laser Floyd, Laser Zeppelin, even (to my delight) Laser Rush....

But Laser Manilow? You've got to be kidding!

(Apart from Laser Manilow, which is very much a lie, the rest of this account is 100 percent true.)

Thanks for a wonderful week, everyone!

I will introduce the next Geek of the Week by Sunday morning at latest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United States
West Valley
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really should have known the part about Manilow. Every time I ever went to the laser light shows they only seemed to play Pink Floyd, Metallica and Led Zeppelin three of my favorite bands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Malagrin wrote:
I really should have known the part about Manilow. Every time I ever went to the laser light shows they only seemed to play Pink Floyd, Metallica and Led Zeppelin three of my favorite bands.

It would be odd to hear Trapped Under Ice while watching a planetarium show. Boy has times changed. I remember when Metallica was not a common word for society. I would never have thought society would ever have accepted their loud and fast style of metal. They could barely handle Iron Maiden back in 83, let alone Ozzy Osbourne. But now, they are household names along with Metallica.

Hope you had a fun week. I know I learned a lot, including a recipe or two Hope to see your new games soon. Best wishes for a wonderful 2012.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad to hear you had a good week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1nf1n1ty wrote:
I am glad to hear you had a good week!

Thanks, 1nf1n1ty! BGGers like you made this week a really fun time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Malagrin wrote:

It would be odd to hear Trapped Under Ice while watching a planetarium show. Boy has times changed. I remember when Metallica was not a common word for society. I would never have thought society would ever have accepted their loud and fast style of metal. They could barely handle Iron Maiden back in 83, let alone Ozzy Osbourne. But now, they are household names along with Metallica.

Hope you had a fun week. I know I learned a lot, including a recipe or two Hope to see your new games soon. Best wishes for a wonderful 2012.

Scott

Ha! You are right--I had forgotten--yes, we did Laser Metallica, too. Thanks for all your kind words and contributions this week, Scott!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Malagrin wrote:

Thanks, Malagrin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
As for the other, more bizarre, encounter....any angsty weirdness about Richard Simmons has been long since mended, in large part thanks to his brilliant performance in this sketch from Who's Line is it, Anyway?--possibly their funniest (and bawdiest) sketch ever. Chaucer would, I think, have enjoyed viewing this sequence immensely.

That was quite funny to watch. Thanks for sharing and congrats again on being GotW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
alfseegert wrote:
As for the other, more bizarre, encounter....any angsty weirdness about Richard Simmons has been long since mended, in large part thanks to his brilliant performance in this sketch from Who's Line is it, Anyway?--possibly their funniest (and bawdiest) sketch ever. Chaucer would, I think, have enjoyed viewing this sequence immensely.

That was quite funny to watch. Thanks for sharing and congrats again on being GotW.

I'm happy you enjoyed watching it, leemc13! Thanks for your kind words!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw that you came in second in this year's Hippodice competition - congratulations for that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

For anyone still subscribed to my Geek of the Week list....

The webpage, Teaser Video, and BoardGameGeek pages for my upcoming board game FANTASTIQA are now live. Please take a look!

You can access everything at the official website: www.fantastiqa.com

Thank you!
Alf

Alf Seegert, designer of Bridge Troll, Trollhalla, The Road to Canterbury, and Fantastiqa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
Thanks!

For anyone still subscribed to my Geek of the Week list....

The webpage, Teaser Video, and BoardGameGeek pages for my upcoming board game FANTASTIQA are now live. Please take a look!

You can access everything at the official website: www.fantastiqa.com

Thank you!
Alf

Alf Seegert, designer of Bridge Troll, Trollhalla, The Road to Canterbury, and Fantastiqa

I'll make sure to take a look, thanks Alf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Jonathan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Update! My latest game, Fantastiqa: the Rucksack Edition, is currently on Kickstarter, along with a bunch of new Fantastiqa expansions, as part of Games of Art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:

Congrats again! see you at Saltcon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.