BattleLore» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Vassal online game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Jones
Australia
flag msg tools

G'day all,

Whilst I did a lot of work on the Battlelore Vassal module, I hadn't actually used it to play a game with anyone. I'd played some solo games to ensure things were working but it was mainly Todd and Dan C who did the online play testing.

Last night I just happened to have a bout of insomnia and decided to see if anyone was online. I saw that Cavie had logged in and we decided to have a game. My experience with BL was mainly solo with only 2 in person games that were both Agincourt.

Cavie was generous enough to play a main game scenario to take me through a BL vassal game without any Lore & no Battle savvy and so we began Burgos Castile. Cavie chose Pennants and I was Standards.

Cavie took the hills early and I brought up my blue horse to contest the hills. After not really achieving anything there, I left the hills and went for the centre left. Cavie then moved a few gobbos forward and I moved a red and blue unit to try and stall his advance.

Both flanks failed to achieve much more action and the centre was where the main melee took place.

I decided to move my centre line forward with the blue horse leading the charge. My blue horse took an absolute pounding yet managed to survive the assault. I withdrew from this contest with Cavie hot on my heels.

Cavie took first blood with my blue foot failing to hold the line. Even with this unit lost, my centre was a solid line of supported units so I thought I'd be alright yet Cavie managed to bring his whole centre plus the Gobbo lizard riders to bear and things went pear shaped soon after.

Cavie's victory track soon contained 5 of my units whilst I had yet to add one of his units to mine. The game quickly ended after this as Cavie took one last unit to seal my fate.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game even though I suffered a massive loss. Cavie was a great opponent and I look forward to many more vassal games in the future.

P.S. One thing to consider with Vassal is time zones. It was 1am (Australia East coast time) when I was playing and I'd probably try to organise a game for earlier in the evening next time as another person (Pablito) was online at this time and it would of been good to get in another game. So all you Aussies who have BL, drop me a geek mail and we can organise a much earlier time to play. For the US players (who have the biggest time difference to Aus), it's a 15-18 hour difference so bear that in mind when organising a match.

Cheers

LB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Harris
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Was the overall experience ok? Did the screen not get to full of boxes etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
The experience was great. Definitely better than playing solo.

What do you mean by "screen not get too full of boxes"?

There is only one window that I open and close often and that is my own player hand window that contains all my command cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colin,

The Vassal experience for BL is great. Without playing live & face to face with someone it is the next best way to play it for me.

The module has been updated very well by LB and includes everything up to date that is BattleLore. Even with all this everything is manageable and able to be orchestrated on the screen.

p.s. - it was nice to play a game with LB after all the work he did on the module. I felt as if he was at least owed that much for the amount of time he spent on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8bit wrote:

Did the screen not get to full of boxes etc?

Colin, I've got a widescreen 22" monitor, so keep that in mind, but when playing a single board game, there is plenty of room to the right of the board layout to keep my hand window open and have the dice tray displayed.

On the epic board, it is a little more crowded with the community hand window and larger board, but still room to keep all windows open.

I used to play mostly on a 15" laptop, and had enough room for the single board games, but would need a little overlap and moving around for the epic games. That was with a previous module, however, and LB's uses space a tad more conservatively.

Looking forward to playing BL with LB myself - time zones be damned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Harris
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmmm. very tempting!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo tou_johnny
Greece
Center/Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first Battlelore experience was in vassal and in fact with mod3. It was great. From the main games i played the agincourt and the second one. One win each. Though i didn't remember noticing to my opponent that he rolled 3dices instead of 2(hill terrain effect), it was a great game and I'm definnetely staying for some Hours for players out there (GMT +2) Eastern European zone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lister
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi All,

I've just discovered vassal, and while the user guide has enlightened me on vassal itself. I haven't found one for the battlelore 3 module. Can anyone help me out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. There really isn't one. What exactly do you need help on? Have you played the board game version, so you understand how the game flows?

Here is some Game Etiquette from the Memoir '44 module that applies to BattleLore too:

If you choose the scenario offer to let your opponent choose the side he wishes to play.

When deciding on a card, place it in the center of the board. The other player then moves the card to the discard pile.

Mark the attacker, and mark the target. After the attack, mark the attacker as battled. Remember to remove the target marker unless another unit is attacking the same target.

Before rolling the dice, declare how many dice you are rolling, and wait for your opponent to agree or to play a Lore card.

If a roll is done for more than the amount of dice allowed, dice are read left to right.

If there is anything that you are doing that may be unclear visually state it in the chat window before you attack. Examples are when ranged units have LOS between two units. Allow your opponent time to use the LOS tool to verify line of sight between attacker and target.

At the end of your turn, press the "End Turn" button. This clears all of the movement trails, etc. and clearly states in the log when you are done.

Let us know what specific instructions you are looking for. As BL does not currently have anything other than the main module, setup is practically non-existent.

Dale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.