Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some time ago, I was explaining the general idea of the game to my sister's kids. Like every gamer has at one time or another, I use slang to refer to components. In this case, I was referring to the land tiles as "hexes".

So, I'm having a grand old time explaining how the game works, using such phrases as "so if you roll a nine, these two hexes will produce goods" and "this hex always produces bricks".

Little did I know that one of the members of her fundamentalist church was visiting, and the visitor was just about losing her mind thinking that I was introducing witchcraft to my niece and nephew. As a visitor to my sister's house, I was kind enough not to get into an argument with another visitor, and my sister explained to her that I was referring to shapes. Of course, my first temptation was to say that this was nothing, tomorrow I'd be running them through a D&D campaign....

Anyone else have any stories like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
It is easily done, I remember a similar problems with Call of Cthulhu (3rd Edition), when I was at university we had the Christian Union praying for us. Mind you it did confuse them when they discovered one of our keepers was a lay preacher thumbsup

There are just too many words in English that have multiple totally different meanings.

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.