Subject: 2 player experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Mail
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While playing the base game with only 2 players is (in my opinion) "playable but not a great experience", I wonder if this expansion changes the playability of Stone Age for "only 2 players". What do you think, which experiences have you made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george bews
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i haven't played the expansion yet but i think the base game scales and plays quite well as a 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Mail
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for your reply, but this is not my experience. I think that the base game in the 2-player-situation is (in the last rounds!) rather "mechanic" and doesn't offer the lot variety compared to 3- or 4-player-games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still waiting for my expansion to be sent, I preordered months ago. I love the base game two players. To each his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
email wrote:
Thank you for your reply, but this is not my experience. I think that the base game in the 2-player-situation is (in the last rounds!) rather "mechanic" and doesn't offer the lot variety compared to 3- or 4-player-games.

I agree with this. Toward the end of a 2P game, I want it to end. We enjoy it with 2, but 4 is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Mail
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
email wrote:

I agree with this. Toward the end of a 2P game, I want it to end. We enjoy it with 2, but 4 is better.

And did you ever play the game with the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
email wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
email wrote:

And did you ever play the game with the expansion?

The new huts? Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Querns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
email wrote:
While playing the base game with only 2 players is (in my opinion) "playable but not a great experience",
I strongly disagree with that. After over 45, 2 player games we find Stone Age plays exceptionally well for 2 (as do the BGG stats). It does help if both players are equally skilled at the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GQ__ wrote:
email wrote:
While playing the base game with only 2 players is (in my opinion) "playable but not a great experience",
I strongly disagree with that. After over 45, 2 player games we find Stone Age plays exceptionally well for 2 (as do the BGG stats). It does help if both players are equally skilled at the game though.

I do think everyone is entitled to their own preferences with regard to player count so if some like it with 2, good for them other go for 4p good for them too and so on.

My experience with stone age is a lot of 2p, a couple of 3p and some 4p. I prefer 2p by a wide margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this once at last years bgg.con (and the fact that it is still not available for purchase is a reminder why I need to stockpile more cash before the next bgg.con) with my wife 2 player. We played extensively with the new huts/cards/trade track mechanic.

I enjoyed the production huts (having your own private wood farm is a real nice thing). The new party favors (every player gets a resource) cards are real powerful, but so where the original ones. The option of buying extra cards on the new card slot makes just going cards an attractive option. can't wait to try it with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age stinks as a 2 player game when you don't alternate turn order for rounds. Trust me. I've played it about 20 times wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkestoceans wrote:
Stone Age stinks as a 2 player game when you don't alternate turn order for rounds. Trust me. I've played it about 20 times wrong.

laugh Somewhere around game 5 or 10 didn't you think that it was kind of weird that the same player kept getting first choice dozens of times in a row?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
darkestoceans wrote:

laugh Somewhere around game 5 or 10 didn't you think that it was kind of weird that the same player kept getting first choice dozens of times in a row?

They must have fought a lot about who goes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens is this. Yeah we did think it was pretty broken. We just thought that people were doing some sort of crazy dance with the starvation strategy or something else to squeeze a playable 2 player game out of that box.

What ended up happening is the start player found out that just picking food track for 5 or 6 turns is just about an automatic win because they get it and the other person is forced to try to make up ground with other crazy strategies and not starve.

We would fight about the right strategy. I was adamant that there had to be some way to beat that "food track" strategy. She said no, that it would work every time. It pretty much does work every time when you don't alternate turn order. It worked for me too unfortunately.

Well I had convinced myself that you wouldn't alternate turn order because someone would almost get to take 2 turns in a row. But the cards are a little bit different from turn to turn. I don't know.

I'm not so sure that Stone Age can really improve much for us though score wise. We'll try it, but the feel of the game leads me to believe it will end up at an 8 maybe instead of the 7 to below 7 that it is right now. I have so many games I like more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.