$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Lost Battles» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Battle of 1st Chaeronea - Greeks vs Macedonia - Alexanders Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

Welcome to my first AAR for Lost Battles, I have now played around 8 or 9 games, and feel its about time I finally decided to write up a session report following the Campaign of Alexander as suggested in the campaign section.

1st Battle of Chaeronea:

The Battle of Chaeronea (Greek: Μάχη της Χαιρώνειας) was fought in 338 BC, near the city of Chaeronea in Boeotia, between the forces of Philip II of Macedon and an alliance of Greek city-states (the principal members of which were Athens and Thebes). The battle was the culmination of Philip's campaign in Greece (339–338 BC) and resulted in a decisive victory for the Macedonians.

Philip had brought peace to a war-torn Greece in 346 BC, by ending the Third Sacred War, and concluding his ten-year conflict with Athens for supremacy in the north Aegean, by making a separate peace. Philip's much expanded kingdom, powerful army and plentiful resources now made him the de facto "leader of Greece". To many of the fiercely independent Greek city-states, Philip's power after 346 BC was perceived as a threat to their liberty, especially in Athens, where the politician Demosthenes led efforts to break away from Philip's influence. When, in 340 BC, Athens formed an alliance with a city Philip was then besieging, he finally lost patience, and declared war on the Attic state. In summer 339 BC, Philip therefore led his army into Greece, prompting the formation of an alliance of Greek states opposed to him, led by Athens and Thebes.

After several months of stalemate, Philip finally advanced into Boeotia in an attempt to march on Thebes and Athens. Opposing him, and blocking the road near Chaeronea, was the allied Greek army, similar in size and occupying a strong position. Details of the ensuing battle are scarce, but after a long fight the Macedonians crushed both flanks of the allied line, which then dissolved into a rout.

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chaeronea_%28338_BC%2...)

(Unfortunately it was at this point I realized that I forget to take a photo of the initial set up - will have this fixed for the next report)

Greeks Turn 2 FV=61 Command=6+3

The opening moves of the Greek army see's a general advance on the line with the light infantry moving up to secure the hill. Full advance of the hoplights in all the center zones
The Heavy Cavalry decide to change the facing to face Alexander.

Phillip II Turn 2 FV= 83 Command=8+1

In preparation for the charge, Alexander takes this opportunity to change facing ready for the charge.
Both Phalanx formations advance forward
Phillip II launches an attack, spending the Greek Light Infantry

Greeks Turn 3 FV=61 Command=6+6

The Greek heavy cavalry decide to jump on Alexander and charge across the marsh, scoring a single hit on the lead cavalry

Alexander advances to the front, ready for the general charge

The Greek hoplights attack on the right center scoring one double hit on an all out attack and another hit again all out attacks.
The Greek center pushes hard, scoring a further 4 hits of two all out attacks.
In the Greek left center manages a single hit on the Macedonian Light Infantry.
No effect with the light infantry on the left flank.

Phillip II Turn 3 FV= 83 Command=8+4

Seeing the time is right and leading the Greek Cavalry right into the trap, Alexander seizes the moment and launches an attack, causing a double hit with a follow up from the veteran cavalry shattering the 1st Cavalry.
1st Morale roll of the game (2/2 = 1) -1 for being spent, causing the remaining cavalry to rout.
The Macedonian center strikes back with some solid performance scoring two hits
Phillip II launches another attack and causes two hits from his units.

Greeks Turn 4 FV=55 Command=5+1

A fairly non eventful attack with only the right center causing a hit

Phillip II Turn 4 FV= 83 Command=8+1

With the success of the flank, Alexander turns into the flank of the Greek Hoplights
In the center and all out attack from the Phalanx scores a single hit
With the struggle continuing on the right center Phillip II's guard unit scores another hit

Greeks Turn 5 FV=55 Command=5+1

With the pressure on the Greek right center is holding its own scoring another hit against the Macedonians
In the left center, a hit against Phillip II unit but manages to rally the hit

Phillip II Turn 5 FV= 83 Command=8+6

Alexander's cavalry are blown, missing the prime opportunity to land another hit, but the accompanying veteran cavalry go all out scoring two hits.
With inspired leadership the Phalanx seeing the opportunity to push hard again in the center shattering two units with an all out attack
Morale Passed on field.

A turning point in the battle, seeing the time is at hand Phillip II's army launches an renewed attack, hitting the infantry and shattering four units in the process. (1st test passed)
Morale on second test (4/2 = 2) -1 for at least 7 units shattered, -1 Spent = 0 All remaining units rout

With this Phillip II pushes forward into the enemy key zone

Greeks Turn 6 FV=37 Command=3+5

With the situation dire, the Greek light infantry launch and all out attack scoring two hits and shattering the Macedonian Light Infantry

Morale (5/2 = 3) -1 Spent = 2 Morale Passed

Phillip II Turn 6 FV= 80 Command=8+5

With the pressure still on the Greek right center manages to hold on, with a deafening clash of shields the Greek center finally breaks.
(1st morale test passed)

A final morale roll for the Greeks (4/2= 2) -2 (10) Shattered Units, -1 Outnumbered, -1 Spent

The remaining Greek hoplights are routed, Veteran hoplights are withdrawn.

Macedonian Victory

Final Result:

Macedonian Scores:

(60 points) Shattered Units
(36 points) Spent Units
(4 points) Withdrawn Units

Total = 100

Greek Scores:

(43 points) Spend Units
(6 points) Shattered Units
(42 points) Handicap Difference

Total Points = 91

Victory Threshold = 40-22 = 18
Macedonian Difference = 100-91 = 9

Clear Macedonian Victory!

Well I hope that you have enjoyed this report, and I look forward to posting the next installment soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very enjoyable, particularly as I've just set this up on my table in preparation of playing it tomorrow night. If I were Alexander, though, I would have used express activations to attack the Greek right in the rear - well, hell, I'll try that tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andrew,

I had thought about it, possibly a little bit of a better move. It still would have taken me two turns to attack (after breakthrough one turn to make the move to the rear, then attack the next)

So in effect would have taken the same amount of moves to get there, at an effect of +1 I believe.

Really enjoyed it.

Such a great system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But the -1 on the Greek right's morale, plus the loss of their lead unit bonus (because attacked from front and rear), might be worth it. Plus in subsequent turns you could detach a cavalry unit to do the same to the centre. Don't know. I'll try it out this evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you manage to play the scenario Andrew?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet. My children insisted on assisting me last night, so it was a bit of a shambles. I'll try again tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a crack at it tonight, with the result an absolute drubbing for the Macedonians. Being able to read my own mind, I knew the Macedonians would try an envelopment with Alexander's cavalry, so I held the Greek cavalry back rather than entering the swamp, thus giving them first crack when Alexander advanced.

On the left, I held the Greeks back on the hill and only advanced the light infantry into the river to delay Phillip's hypaspists. The other light unit took the town hill while the rest of the Greek line advanced toward the main phalanx.

Alexander advanced on the left, the Macedonian phalanx advanced and Phillip attacked the Greek light infantry. But disaster struck in the Greek turn. Determined to upset the Alexander apple cart, the Greeks attacked with the cavalry on the right using as many commands as possible for attack bonuses, for multiple hits. Alexander attempted to rally one of these and was killed. The Macedonian cavalry were suddenly all spent and stuck in a marsh.

Eventually, the Greeks enveloped the Macedonians, concentrated on the centre, reinforced by Phillip, who was forced to withdraw and the game ended on turn 10 with neither army routed. Greece: 136 points vs Macedonia: 61. A clear thrashing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I got annoyed of the tiles moving around. So I spent last night and today gluing a frame together.

Only took me an evening:

Enjoy:

(All set for Granicus 334BC)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, have been pretty busy but will be playing the above (Granicus 334BC) tonight and should have the report uploaded and hopefully approved by the following night.

Current Campaign score stands at:

Macedonia: 5 points
Greek States: 2 Points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for these evocative reports. I myself now use an underlay of non-slip plastic of the kind you can get in rolls from hardware stores, to keep the tiles together without needing a frame. I wish I had discovered this in time to recommend it in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pagsab wrote:
Thanks for these evocative reports. I myself now use an underlay of non-slip plastic of the kind you can get in rolls from hardware stores, to keep the tiles together without needing a frame. I wish I had discovered this in time to recommend it in the rules.

Thanks Philip

David (aka Snowman) uses a non-slip mat. While I thought it worked really well, I just felt that a frame was needed. I love pimping games.

I will be picking that mat up for the more portable option.

Edit:

Well real life decided to knock me of track, submitting the session report tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deodand wrote:
I had a crack at it tonight, with the result an absolute drubbing for the Macedonians. Being able to read my own mind, I knew the Macedonians would try an envelopment with Alexander's cavalry, so I held the Greek cavalry back rather than entering the swamp, thus giving them first crack when Alexander advanced.

On the left, I held the Greeks back on the hill and only advanced the light infantry into the river to delay Phillip's hypaspists. The other light unit took the town hill while the rest of the Greek line advanced toward the main phalanx.

Alexander advanced on the left, the Macedonian phalanx advanced and Phillip attacked the Greek light infantry. But disaster struck in the Greek turn. Determined to upset the Alexander apple cart, the Greeks attacked with the cavalry on the right using as many commands as possible for attack bonuses, for multiple hits. Alexander attempted to rally one of these and was killed. The Macedonian cavalry were suddenly all spent and stuck in a marsh.

Eventually, the Greeks enveloped the Macedonians, concentrated on the centre, reinforced by Phillip, who was forced to withdraw and the game ended on turn 10 with neither army routed. Greece: 136 points vs Macedonia: 61. A clear thrashing.

Not quite the same army movements, but a similar result in my recent re-enaction of this battle. Not a straightforward battle for the Macedonians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.