$10.00
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me picky, but I would love to see the status of a game I own changed from "owned" to "own" on the BGG status blank. The word implies I don't have it anymore. Maybe I'm using the status option wrong. Am I the only one that has noticed this since I've been keeping my collection inventoried on BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can the status of a game I have be changed from "owed" to "own" on BGG?
I think "previously owned" is what you are looking for in terms of games you used to own but no longer do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Diehl
United States
Junction City
Kansas
flag msg tools
The eerie war chant emanating from the morning fog set chills down every spine. "Lah, lah, la lah, lah, lah."
mbmbmbmbmb
When you mark a game "Own" it shows up as "Owned". It bugs me too a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I think "previously owned" is what you are looking for in terms of games you used to own but no longer do.

Yes, I agree with the previously owned. Take a look at the games you currently have and look at how their status is displayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You're not the first to notice, nor raise the issue. I think the issue has been "duly noted", but I don't know if it's one of the many things addressed in the redesign that's currently in beta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends which way you look at it.

The game's relationship to you is: This game is Owned by you
Your relationship to the game is: You Own this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the title of this article be changed from "Owed" to "Owned" devillaugh

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
Can the title of this article be changed from "Owed" to "Owned" devillaugh

Thank you!

I love this comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
All your base are belong to us
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a GeekBuddy option so you can mark someone as "pwned".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

done111 wrote:
Call me picky, but I would love to see the status of a game I own changed from "owned" to "own" on the BGG status blank. The word implies I don't have it anymore. Maybe I'm using the status option wrong. Am I the only one that has noticed this since I've been keeping my collection inventoried on BGG?

I've noticed this too, and for a while, I inferred that people on BGG didn't keep their games for too long (a misinferred trend which disturbed me by its implications). When I learned otherwise, I was confused by BGG's use of the past tense of "own" for that entry.

I heartily support your proposal that "Owned" (past tense) be changed to "Own" (present tense) in order that it's readily understood to still currently be owned by the BGG user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:

That is NOT readily perceptible by newbies and not-so-newbies alike without that example sentence you supplied for reference. As a stand-alone entry by itself, "Owned" signifies past ownership, NOT current.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It gives you a list of "owned games", so I'm perfectly fine with it.
But I'm no native English speaker.

But my "own games" I would define as games I designed myself ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

ashman wrote:
It gives you a list of "owned games", so I'm perfectly fine with it.
But I'm no native English speaker.

But my "own games" I would define as games I designed myself ...

Nope, you'd need some sort of symbol or emoticon to readily indicate that you designed it yourself.

And no, I as a newbie and not-so-newbie would never have readily inferred that "own games" meant self-designed games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: to "formally" make this suggested change, you should post to the 'BGG Suggestions' forum rather than this community forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
superbgg wrote:

That is NOT readily perceptible by newbies and not-so-newbies alike without that example sentence you supplied for reference. As a stand-alone entry by itself, "Owned" signifies past ownership, NOT current.

How can it not be readily perceptible when you have the "owned" and "previously owned" options next to each other? I really fail to see the problem with the current wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
superbgg wrote:

How can it not be readily perceptible when you have the "owned" and "previously owned" options next to each other? I really fail to see the problem with the current wording.

If it weren't a problem, then we wouldn't have encountered this dilemma in the first place. Moreover, without "Owned" having some other word like "Currently" as in "Currently Owned", the word "Owned" readily signifies its past tense.

Since "Previously owned" apparently exists, why did they neglect to designate currently-owned games as "Currently owned" in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

Since "Previously owned" apparently exists, why did they neglect to designate currently-owned games as "Currently owned" in the first place?

Because the contrast to "previously owned" is sufficient to define it? I mean what else would "owned" mean, other than "currently owned" (since for games owned in the past there is "previously owned" and I don't think anyone would consider it could mean "owned in the future").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I owned a game, like that Jaws game back in the 1970's, it means I don't have it anymore. If I still have it then I own it now, not owned it now. A definition of owned is "past participle, past tense of own", meaning owned in the past.

One other discrepancy, when you check the status of a game you own from the dedicated game page, it is check-marked "own", but when you check the games' status from your collection list of the "My Geek" tab, it is changed to "owned". Just an observation.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
FYI: to "formally" make this suggested change, you should post to the 'BGG Suggestions' forum rather than this community forum.

Is this something I can do? If so how?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
done111 wrote:
...but when you check the games' status from your collection list of the "My Geek" tab, it is changed to "owned". Just an observation.....

Because the game's status is Owned. Owned by you! As in Previously Owned by you. As in Preordered by you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
done111 wrote:
A definition of owned is "past participle, past tense of own", meaning owned in the past.

Your own "definition" distinguishes two things - past participle and past tense. It's not the same thing. Past participles are also used to form the passive form of a verb, and you can do that for all tenses, even future ones. As in "in two weeks, the game will be owned by 5,000 people". There's nothing "past" in that.

Or, take this sentence as an example: "A permit is required for most new residential and commercial construction in Fairfax County." "required" is also a past participle. Does it mean you only needed a permit in the past? It certainly doesn't (then it would say "was required") - you still need one. You require a permit. A permit is required. First sentence is active voice, second is passive. Tense is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

marble911 wrote:
done111 wrote:
A definition of owned is "past participle, past tense of own", meaning owned in the past.

Your own "definition" distinguishes two things - past participle and past tense. It's not the same thing. Past participles are also used to form the passive form of a verb, and you can do that for all tenses, even future ones. As in "in two weeks, the game will be owned by 5,000 people". There's nothing "past" in that.

And yet, you're attempting to make some grand distinction where there is no meaningful difference since your example above absolutely requires an example sentence to make that time context perfectly clear.

That's NOT the case with the stand-alone word "Owned" which by itself (without a supporting example sentence to indicate otherwise) signifies past ownership. And no amount of wishful thinking can change that fact -- period.

marble911 wrote:
Or, take this sentence as an example: "A permit is required for most new residential and commercial construction in Fairfax County." "required" is also a past participle. Does it mean you only needed a permit in the past? It certainly doesn't (then it would say "was required") - you still need one. You require a permit. A permit is required. First sentence is active voice, second is passive. Tense is the same.

Once again, you've proven my case for me: One cannot discern any other tense but Past Tense when the stand-alone word "Owned" is by itself without a supporting example sentence to provide any other time context.

Thanks twice over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I automatically think of both when I see "owned". Even if there is no context, no example sentence. But how am I to explain this to you without using context?

What about when you see just "required", stand-alone? Does it just signify past "requiredness" to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
done111 wrote:
LennyS wrote:

Is this something I can do? If so how?
You bet. At the top of any BGG page are all the pop-down menus. Choose the Forums menu, then choose Forums (again,) then choose 'post.' Or scroll down and choose 'BGG Suggestions'. Either way, when you choose to create a new post you're always prompted to select a forum. Simply select BGG Suggestions. An admin is more likely to see it this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

marble911 wrote:
For me, I automatically think of both when I see "owned". Even if there is no context, no example sentence. But how am I to explain this to you without using context?

What about when you see just "required", stand-alone? Does it just signify past "requiredness" to you?

False issue. "To Require" does not convey the same degree of action as an action verb as does the verb "To Own".

If we were playing Charades, you could not easily -- if at all -- act out in simple form how to require something whereas I could easily convey the simple notion of "Own" by pantomining my holding something in my hands and then drawing it closer to my chest as if to hug it and suggest "Mine!"

The only way you could hope to even remotely get anybody to guess "Require" OR "Required" in Charades is to suggest the notion of "Need" in some form or fashion (but I daresay it would require an avalanche of guesses before anybody came up with the word "Require").

The most common usage of the word "Require" is with a form of the verb "To Be", such as "It is required that you...". You almost never, if ever, hear anybody say: "I require you to do such and such."

So, naturally, when one sees the word "Required" without a colon beside it and a list of items following it, he/she would naturally be inclined to think something *is* or *are* required because the verb "Require" is most often used with a form of the verb "To Be".

There's no such distinction for the verb "Own" which is used far more often in the most active Subject-Verb sense without a form of the verb "To Be", as in "I own such-and-such" or "He/She/It/They own/owns such-and-such."

So, when I as a newbie and not-so-newbie saw the word "Owned" as it pertained to BGG users, naturally, without any prominently displayed advisory to the contrary, one reads the past tense of "Owned" as meaning that the BGG user owned (past tense) a particular game, as "Own" is far more often used as a fully-active verb without the use of the verb "To Be".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.