Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm teaching a college course on rule-based reasoning and we are doing a short unit on the history of games. I've created a research scavenger hunt for my students. One group has been assigned to find, among other things, the earliest strategy manual or strategy “article”.

I assume the earliest strategy manual will be for Go. But I am curious what the earliest non-Go manual is. My bet is on chess, though backgammon is a possibility.

I thought I would ask BGGers what the earliest example of a backgammon strategy manual (or article or other kind of writing) is that they know of. That would help me suggest directions in which to look. (I'm interested in backgammon ancestors / relatives like Tabulate and Nard too.)

(I have posted a related but more general query in the BGG General Gaming forum. Apologies for the overlap.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
These artifacts date back to 3000-1788BC and the rules as well as the use of dice for this game remain unknown. Wooden boards were found in the royal tomb of the Ur al Chaldees, the center of Sumer dated around 2600BC along with tetrahedral dice and are known as The Royal Games of Ur. A set of rules for the backgammon game played at that time was found on some cuneiform tablet dated at about 177BC.

I found this paragraph here:

http://www.gammoned.com/history.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
Quote:
These artifacts date back to 3000-1788BC and the rules as well as the use of dice for this game remain unknown. Wooden boards were found in the royal tomb of the Ur al Chaldees, the center of Sumer dated around 2600BC along with tetrahedral dice and are known as The Royal Games of Ur. A set of rules for the backgammon game played at that time was found on some cuneiform tablet dated at about 177BC.

Unfortunately (for this discussion), it sounds more like at set of rules rather than a strategy article. Fascinating nonetheless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a site that has more information:

http://www.bkgm.com/

There's a lot available via this site. I found the following link, but there's likely much more. It's a big site, and I only glanced at it.

http://www.gammonvillage.com/backgammon/magazine/article_dis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.