Aljubarrota» Forums » Rules

Subject: Archers and obstacles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

Just going through the rules for this game and I do have a question on archers and their line of sight.

In the rules on page 3 where the board is described, the 10th letterbox (counting from upper left -> down), describes trees figuring as obstacles, just above the traps and below the archer's position.

On page 10, describing how the archers work, it is explained that one of the obstacles to the archer's sight are the trees.

So am I to understand that the lowest outer archer position is utterly useless as long as the adjacent one is occupied?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just simulated a game to check rules and stuff...

I'm pretty sure the question on archers is that those trees block sight. Otherwise it's just too easy to win. I'm under the impression the die is a huge favour to the players! I'd really like to hear comments about that.

I feel like 5 out of 6 screwing the Spanish troops is pretty sweet for the players. Well, technically, only 2 out of 6 screw the enemy. The other 3 results (the arrows), aren't bad per se, and some units may even get extra moves, but since there are all those traps, the knights are all directed towards the centre column and start overriding each other and doing the auto-kill stuff... And if the archers really can shoot over the tree stuff just above the traps, then I feel this is way too easy.

So I'm wondering, am I doing something wrong?

I did respect the card layout order, also the execution order, so some units flank inwards and get an extra move... I do reinforcements which deplete in the second game round, right? Eliminated units are removed from the game, correct?

This is strange in a way. I own several cooperative games, like Shadows over Camelot, or Witch of Salem and Lord of the Rings. All these games make players do "bad stuff", but not in this game! And the die! There is no penalty for rolling the die! I'd say probably a blank side, two/three arrows, two/one skull(s) and one "penalty" would be appropriate...

Or maybe multiple icons/per face, so that with a positive thing would also come a penalty perhaps?

I'm speculating and am not even sure whether I'm playing right... So, any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Orey
Portugal
Cascais
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Olá Pedro,

é importante não confundir os abatises com as árvores.

Os abatises impedem os cavaleiros e soldados de passarem. Mas NÃO impede a linha de tiro dos arqueiros.

Quanto às árvores, dispostas ao longo da ala direita, estas impedem os cavaleiros e soldados de passarem e impedem a linha de tiro dos arqueiros Isto é, se houver arqueiros portugueses ou ingleses que queiram atirar através das árvores sobre os cavaleiros espanhóis que atacam pela ala direita, na 2ª vaga de ataques, isso não é possível.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedro,
Maybe you're making the same mistake I did in my first game: every player was firing the english and the namorado wing archers before it was the castellanos turn again.
That way, there were not many spanish survivors to get into the melee with the portuguese soldiers.
When we started playing correctly, it became a tough game.
Bons jogos!
André

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.