At the Gates of Loyang» Forums » Variants

Subject: no Helpers for 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen Aga
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm going to play a 3-player game later tonight. I've played solitaire (to get to know the rules), but the other guys haven't played yet. I don't think they'll have a lot of fun if the game takes longer than 2 hours, so I'm considering removing (some) helper cards to make the first play of this game a bit less daunting for them.
You guys think that's a good idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think removing some helpers would definitely reduce the amount of time it takes to explain the rules, explain what each card does, and the card distribution phase. However, this would obviously be at the expense of the flexibility they provide.

Or you could also have each player start out with two (or three?) pre-planted fields (and the cart flipped to the "four" side). Everyone could also start with a market stall.

Just some ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
As an intro? Sure. My wife and I play 2player taking out all the "attack" helper cards (stealing other's customers/crops, etc.) because we think they make the game too aggressive. Still plays just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
Jordan
Madaba-Manja
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take out any helper that is affected by turn order (i.e. any helper that interacts with other players), you can speed this game up significantly by taking all your actions simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.