Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga» Forums » General

Subject: question about cteating Saga deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
in the rule book where it says create the Saga Deck it says:

Take the nine Sagas bearing the inscription 1st era, shuffle them and withhout looking. remove three cards from the game and do the same with the 2nd and 3rd Era.
the remaining 18 Saga cards are the Saga Deck and make sure that the 1st era is on top and then com the 2nd and 3rd.
place this saga deck near the game board. turn over the first 3 saga and place each of them on the appropriate space at the center of the board.

okay the way i understand it is that you have the saga Deck beside the board using the 1st Era cards first and put 3 cards in the card space. and every time a saga is don you would then put a new saga on the space.

But what happens to the 9 saga cards that you removed. Dont you use them aswell or am i understanding the rules wrong??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertAnnesen wrote:
in the rule book where it says create the Saga Deck it says:

Take the nine Sagas bearing the inscription 1st era, shuffle them and withhout looking. remove three cards from the game and do the same with the 2nd and 3rd Era.
the remaining 18 Saga cards are the Saga Deck and make sure that the 1st era is on top and then com the 2nd and 3rd.
place this saga deck near the game board. turn over the first 3 saga and place each of them on the appropriate space at the center of the board.

okay the way i understand it is that you have the saga Deck beside the board using the 1st Era cards first and put 3 cards in the card space. and every time a saga is don you would then put a new saga on the space.

But what happens to the 9 saga cards that you removed. Dont you use them aswell or am i understanding the rules wrong??

You put those 9 saga cards that you removed into the game box, and you forget about them.

It's a way to increase variability between different game sessions.
It's more interesting to not know exactly which saga cards are in the game, otherwise every single port is used for every single action in every saga. It also makes the game stretch out too long too (I know from experience, by accidentally forgetting that rule.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
well i can kind of see the logic in that

But well still you do kind of know what will be in most of the cards and while you are using the 1st era cards you can still trad, raid and settle where ever you want and if a saga as allready been don you can just remove that saga card.

but i still see your point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertAnnesen wrote:

But well still you do kind of know what will be in most of the cards and while you are using the 1st era cards you can still trad, raid and settle where ever you want and if a saga as allready been don you can just remove that saga card.

But remember that saga cards are a huge source of points at the end of the game. So this brings in a interesting decision of whether to do actions for points now for places not in the current saga cards, but run the risk of missing out on the saga for those actions, or wait until the saga is revealed, or maybe start on a few with hopes that you will have a leg up when the saga is revealed (but someone may steal the saga from you by finishing it first!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
ha ha yes I have only just got the game but I can imagine being one of those players who finishes another's saga at the last minut and steal the saga card .

but I think that it is funny that you do not get points for all the cards. They Could have put just one point to it. I think ill have to read the rules a bit again i guess you can still get extra points for having the card in the end

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It adds variability to each game. You can't start trading with Bremen and Hamburg knowing that that saga card will definitely come up sooner or later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.