21 Posts

Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga» Forums » General

Subject: confusing rule book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
is it just me who finds the rule book at bit confusing? ex.

at Loading the longboat tiles it says: in the 1st Era(Shown at the top of the Saga card) a Viking may load up to five crewmen and goods token. He fills the spaces on his longboat card marked 1st. in the 2nd Era (wich begins as soon as any 2nd Era Saga Card is turnd face-up, he may load up to six cremen and goods tokens, filling thos space marked with the symbol of the 1st or 2nd eras. Finaly in the 3rd Era seven crewmen and goods tokens may be loaded, filling every space on his card.

okay i think i understand this one. it means when playing with the 1st era saga cards. you can only fill the longboat with 5 things and the 2nd era you can fill up with 6 and when you get to the 3rd era you can use alle seven cirkels.

is it just me who is not used to understanding the english way of writing things. or is the rule book not writen a bit confusing sometimes when they write you can fill up the 1st or 2nd eras. would it not have been better to write the 1st and the 2nd as you can use all 6 spaces when using the 2nd era.?? i know this is just a small thing in that part but that is not the only place where they som times write things that makes you a bit confused

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertAnnesen wrote:
is it just me who finds the rule book at bit confusing? ex.

at Loading the longboat tiles it says: in the 1st Era(Shown at the top of the Saga card) a Viking may load up to five crewmen and goods token. He fills the spaces on his longboat card marked 1st. in the 2nd Era (wich begins as soon as any 2nd Era Saga Card is turnd face-up, he may load up to six cremen and goods tokens, filling thos space marked with the symbol of the 1st or 2nd eras. Finaly in the 3rd Era seven crewmen and goods tokens may be loaded, filling every space on his card.

okay i think i understand this one. it means when playing with the 1st era saga cards. you can only fill the longboat with 5 things and the 2nd era you can fill up with 6 and when you get to the 3rd era you can use alle seven cirkels.

is it just me who is not used to understanding the english way of writing things. or is the rule book not writen a bit confusing sometimes when they write you can fill up the 1st or 2nd eras. would it not have been better to write the 1st and the 2nd as you can use all 6 spaces when using the 2nd era.?? i know this is just a small thing in that part but that is not the only place where they som times write things that makes you a bit confused

I think it might be a non-native English issue. Believe me, I'd have a hard time reading a rulebook in Spanish.

To me "spaces marked with the symbol of the 1st or 2nd eras" makes sense, I just look for *either* of those symbols.
If it said "spaces marked with the symbol of the 1st and 2nd eras" I might actually find that more confusing, because that might imply that there are individual spaces with both of those symbols at the same time (none of which of course exist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
he he well maybe it is just me then i think i understand it the other way around

ha ha in Spanish i would never be able to read that lol. i was close to thinking i could only get the game in germany and i am not good at german either so i am glad i found the game in english.

I'm surprised I could not find traces of it here in Denmark, after all it is a part of our history

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mb
And probably the most beautiful board in my collection!

It's grat game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Olav Seljeskog
Norway
Jørpeland
Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You`re not alone, a fellow scandinavian (yes, me ) also used quite some time understanding the rulebook. Mine was in german....but found a english pdf here on bgg, and aslo paste-overs for the cards. That helped alot, + an video of the game I found here helping me with bits and pieces that confused me.

EXCELLENT GAME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Nordstrand
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
Brettspillvideoer - på norsk!
mbmbmbmbmb
CorporalClegg1977 wrote:
You`re not alone, a fellow scandinavian (yes, me ) also used quite some time understanding the rulebook. Mine was in german....but found a english pdf here on bgg, and aslo paste-overs for the cards. That helped alot, + an video of the game I found here helping me with bits and pieces that confused me.

EXCELLENT GAME

Well you did an excellent job explaining the rules to our group. Definitely have to play it again, as long as we have time to finish it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
okay its not just me then well i think i understand most of the rules now. there is just one other rule i am unsure about. if you want could you trad raid and then settle all in one go in ex. Paris??

The Only thing i need now is to find somone who wants to play. I dont know many people who like board gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezeqiel
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Robert, there is some work being done trying to get a Vassal module approved from the designers... so all being well (and we're hopeful it will be) you should be able to find some online opponents to get your Fire & Axe gaming fix in the not so distant future.

I know I have a similar problem in trying to get enough people together with an interest in putting a few enjoyable hours into a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertAnnesen wrote:
okay its not just me then well i think i understand most of the rules now. there is just one other rule i am unsure about. if you want could you trad raid and then settle all in one go in ex. Paris??

No. Page 7: A viking may carry out several tasks in one turn. However, only one task may be carried out per port per turn.
Even if you try a task and fail at it, you can't re-try that particular task in the same turn.

RobertAnnesen wrote:

The Only thing i need now is to find somone who wants to play. I dont know many people who like board gaming

There is a "Denmark" forum you could post in and see if there are any interested gamers near you:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/127/boardgamegeek/denmark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
ezeqiel wrote:

Robert, there is some work being done trying to get a Vassal module approved from the designers... so all being well (and we're hopeful it will be) you should be able to find some online opponents to get your Fire & Axe gaming fix in the not so distant future.

I know I have a similar problem in trying to get enough people together with an interest in putting a few enjoyable hours into a board game.

okay so they are thinking about making and online game with fire & axe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
RobertAnnesen wrote:

No. Page 7: A viking may carry out several tasks in one turn. However, only one task may be carried out per port per turn.
Even if you try a task and fail at it, you can't re-try that particular task in the same turn.

RobertAnnesen wrote:

There is a "Denmark" forum you could post in and see if there are any interested gamers near you:

thanks for that ill try and look in to that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezeqiel
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Robert

Are you familiar with Vassal or the Vassal Engine?

Check out http://www.vassalengine.org/

Basically they are software versions of board games that are made by the community that are free to play but often carry some form of component restriction that tries to ensure the game cannot be played without also owning a physical copy of the game.

Typical examples of the component restrictions are:

1: Cards with all ingame text removed/blanked out
2: Not including the rules of play

I've been involved with another BGGer in getting Fire & Axe made on Vassal and getting the permissions of the designers/artists to allow us to publish to the public.

It's not done yet, but after some news today, I think it soon will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
ezeqiel wrote:
@ Robert

Basically they are software versions of board games that are made by the community that are free to play but often carry some form of component restriction that tries to ensure the game cannot be played without also owning a physical copy of the game.

I've been involved with another BGGer in getting Fire & Axe made on Vassal and getting the permissions of the designers/artists to allow us to publish to the public.

No, I had never heard of that befor. but it looks interesting. I've really never plaued board games much when I got older. I never really known many who were interested in playing that kind of games . But found fire & axq quite interesting as I am quite interested in the Viking age and since it is a quite unique thing in Danish and Sklandinaviens history

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertAnnesen wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

RobertAnnesen wrote:

thanks for that ill try and look in to that

Hope you are able to find some opponents, and welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
have any of you ever tried to go to paris with 4 crew men and 1 goods token and first trade then wait a turn in the port and then raid paris and then again wait a turn in the port and then settle or would that be a bad strategy??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertAnnesen wrote:
have any of you ever tried to go to paris with 4 crew men and 1 goods token and first trade then wait a turn in the port and then raid paris and then again wait a turn in the port and then settle or would that be a bad strategy??

More fun to explore the strategy on your own, no? Can't spoil it for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
RobertAnnesen wrote:

More fun to explore the strategy on your own, no? Can't spoil it for you!

Ha ha well it feels like a good idea because if i move to an other port chances are that i end op losing most of the crew and have to go back to home port befor i can take over paris and if i do that an other player can take that chance from me well ill try it one day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
i have been looking a bit into this Vassal it looks really good. But in the end i would preferable a more social game irl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezeqiel
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertAnnesen wrote:
i have been looking a bit into this Vassal it looks really good. But in the end i would preferable a more social game irl.

A proper game in the company of good people is always the preferred option Robert!

Our theory with the Vassal module has come about because we felt in our own experiences, that we just didn't get enough chances to get it on the table in our own locales.

So we thought, is it best not to play the game at all then? Or is it better to seek an alternative way to play with other's who feel the same way and do want to play it but don't get the chance? We went for the 2nd option and are still working towards it.

You can always think of a Vassal module as a way to experiment and practice a game & it's rules before it hits the table with your gaming group/friends.

Hopefully we can get something sorted in the not too distant future for you to try it and see for yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
well i still think it is good. And i my use it. But one could also make somthing once a year a get together thing or somthing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ezeqiel wrote:
@ Robert

I'm a little late to the tread, but just wanted to say that this is a very underrated game here on the Geek and a vassal version would be great. I would be up for playing via vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.