Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
I'm melting! Melting!
mbmbmbmbmb
Walking through my local Target store this morning I noticed that nearly all of their board games were on heavy clearance--most items 50% off. They are also completely revamping the store and the clearance makes me wonder if they are getting out of board games all together in order to free up space. I noticed that toys were not part of the clearance.

Anyway, these are just estimated prices as I recall them off the top of my head and I may be off by a couple of dollars either side, but I saw:

Settlers of Catan ~$22
Stratego ~$9
Ticket to Ride ~$25
Risk ~$19
Risk in Wooden Bookshelf box ~$19
Bananagrams ~$9
Wits & Wager ~$15
Lord of the Rings (Knizia) ~$20
Deadwood ~$20
Munchkin ~$14

Plus all the shelf hanger card games (Monopoly Deal, etc). were half off, poker chips, backgammon sets, chess, etc.

It was really just about the entire wall of board games. If you are near a Target, it might be worth sticking your head in.

Edit: I should have said in my original post that this Target store is in Newburgh, NY. And it does appear to be under renovation to accommodate their "marketplace" concept. Maybe that conversion is a helpful tip-off of where to find sales?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up - I just might have to stop by my local one to see if they have any copies of Deadwood on sale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwood, Lord of The Rings and Rune Age are registered in the Target system as one item, so all three should be available for that price ... which is quite a good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Just returned from my Target:
They had all of the games you mention, and every single one was full price. No sales, and not a clearance sticker to be found at all. Not even Munchkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Saved me a trip! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know where you are, but I will check mine around lunch. I do know that several Targets are getting a marketplace for food. Maybe that is why your's is going nuts.

Also, RuneAge was shipped with Deadwood and LotR as a multipack to target...

Sorry for the redundancy, I was in a meeting and in holding pattern on this post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kakaris Maelstrom
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Target is pretty irregular about sales, seems to be store specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Toprac
United States
Seekonk
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Boycott Target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because they're not consistent about sales?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Parks
United States
Cheswick
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to stop at the Target near me for lunch and give an update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hantak
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stuff on clearance at Target is very YMMV (your mileage may very).

Something that is on clearance at one Target, may not be marked down at another.

I used to frequent Target for clearance deals on video games. It's been a while since I paid attention to how they did the mark downs, but it's important to check the price with a price scanner. Even if the shelf shows full price, it may be marked down in the system.

And if it shows up $0.0 on the scanner, have one of the employees scan it. The $0.0 means the item has been taken out of the system. However, that doesn't mean you'll get a clearance price. The employee's scanner will set the price at whatever the last item of that type sold for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an ex-Target employee, I would definitely advise calling ahead of time before running out for deals like these. Clearance is done on a store by store basis. I was also just in my local Target last night and these were all full price. Most Targets do all their clearance pricing on Sundays, in case anyone was interested. Might give you an edge on grabbing the good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Turner
United States
flag msg tools
esirof wrote:

Edit: I should have said in my original post that this Target store is in Newburgh, NY. And it does appear to be under renovation to accommodate their "marketplace" concept. Maybe that conversion is a helpful tip-off of where to find sales?

They converted Targets near me to the market/grocery format a few months back. I didn't notice if they did a clearance on those games prior to clearance. I was in the Target closest to me (which has the complete grocery section) this past weekend and all those games were full price.

When they were doing the conversion, they were moving all sorts of stuff around. Perhaps they'd rather clear some of the stuff out than move it around the store a bunch of times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McQ
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just happened to be at my local Target and nothing games-wise was reduced or on clearance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon H.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have!
badge
Ron Swanson!
mbmbmbmbmb
No sale at my local Target
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stopped by my local one at lunch and none of those are on sale. Oh, well.

Towards the latter half of last year our local Target store did a major restructuring adding on a market for fresh foods (as noted above by a few others as well). At the time there were no Fantasy Flight games or Ticket to Rides or Catans or any games of that ilk on the shelves. However, a ton of the other "standard" games dropped down in price in a HUGE way. Cranium, Battleship, Uno, Nab-It, and a host of others were all between $3 and $7 each.

My suggestion: if your local Target store is about in the middle of one of these restructures then check it at least semi-frequently for price drops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
Walking through my local Target store this morning I noticed that nearly all of their board games were on heavy clearance--most items 50% off.

Checked two of my local Target stores ... will check more tonight when I go to the southern half of the city. So far, no sales on the boardgames.

A lot of new stuff, however, including ...

Zooloretto

Mastermind

edit: I should mention -- I'm at Charlotte, NC. Stores I've visited are at Northlake and at University.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
In Denver, no luck at Target on Arapahoe and I-25 nor Target on Quincy and Buckley out in Aurora.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
I'm melting! Melting!
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn. I am sorry if I got anyone's hopes up or wasted people's time. It didn't occur to me that a chain like Target would do anything on a store-by-store basis.

There is another Target not too far away. As penance and to expand the data set, I'll try to run by there tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Scott
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its worth keeping an eye on....a year back someone posted that Target has a Acer 21in monitor marked down to $30...I check my store w/o luck for two weeks, then my wife went in a week later..I asked her to check... and she scanned it (the shelf still said $100+) and sure enough, 75% off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke of Lizards
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
Damn. I am sorry if I got anyone's hopes up or wasted people's time. It didn't occur to me that a chain like Target would do anything on a store-by-store basis.

There is another Target not too far away. As penance and to expand the data set, I'll try to run by there tomorrow.

No it's not like that at all. You just pointed out a Hot Deal, and I thank you for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea Target carried Lord of the Rings. I have never seen this in a big box store before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
fiveolddogs wrote:
I had no idea Target carried Lord of the Rings. I have never seen this in a big box store before.

Yeah they've recently started carrying some FFGs:

Fantasy Flight at Target

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
esirof wrote:

I found powerup heroes for 15 bucks. Retails for 60 normally. Thanks!

(if I cared to post on vgg, I'd put that in their hot deals section)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:

Hope you're not too discouraged. I appreciate just about any posting of a hot deal, even if it ultimately doesn't apply to me. Looks like it served to inform a few people about Target's new board game selection too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.