Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
85 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: Cameron Jones & Board Games for CHEO - (a note for Orleans, Ottawa, Kanata Gamers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gang,

Some of you know my son - Cameron Jones. The Orleans Game Club definitely know him. And he's also been know to visit the odd Toys'on'Fire game night as well as hang around the Heroscape tables at the Game Summit.

Anyway, on Cameron's 14th Birthday, he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma Cancer in his neck and upper chest. He is currently undergoing Chemotherapy at CHEO (Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario). This treatment is finding him having many hospital stays over the next 4-8 months.

Now, as some of you may know, CHEO is awesome with kids and has these great playrooms, however, the board game collections in these rooms are just your standard "big box store" varieties. Cameron figured the collections needed updating and has decided to donate a few games himself.

A couple of other gamers in the area have asked if they can donate as well. OF COURSE!
If you are interested in donating, please message me. If you have any questions you can also message me or post them here.

We're looking for new games (unfortunately CHEO can't accept used ones) or monetary donations we can buy games with. The games need to appeal to kids between the ages of 3-18.

THANKS!

----------------
Before I end this post, I have to add a thanks to the Orleans Kiwanis for their donation.

I also have to thank Chessex dice - I have been working with them to get some custom dice to use as a thank you to people who donate.

EDIT:
There is a Geeklist available to post what people are donating here:
PLAY2WIN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike boucher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there

as a nurse myself, I know the power of play and recreation. I am not in the general area (north Bay), is there a shop there that is supporting you and I can call to make purchase which you have set up some sort of deal. Also if you run it through the hospital, will they issue a recipt over X amount if we choose to make $ donation. People tend to give more if tax recipts are given.

Anyways, I am interested in supporting this noble venture. Hope to hear from you soon in this matter.

PS....I could also buy games here at my local shop and ship them if I had an address
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murse09 wrote:
Hi there

as a nurse myself, I know the power of play and recreation. I am not in the general area (north Bay), is there a shop there that is supporting you and I can call to make purchase which you have set up some sort of deal. Also if you run it through the hospital, will they issue a recipt over X amount if we choose to make $ donation. People tend to give more if tax recipts are given.

Anyways, I am interested in supporting this noble venture. Hope to hear from you soon in this matter.

PS....I could also buy games here at my local shop and ship them if I had an address

I haven't got anything set up with any of the local shops yet - I still working on that possibility. Honestly, I'm still a bit overwhelmed will all this (first with my son's cancer and treatment and now with the generosity of the people around me). I do have a paypal account set up for people want - I can also message you my address to ship stuff too if you wanted to go that way.

Cheers,
Jamie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I didn't mention before was the meaning behind the dice...

The violet colour and the flower are because the Violet is the symbol for Lymphoma Research. the "PLAY2WIN" is in reference to the fact Cameron is "playing" a game in which anything less that winning is not an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhattersneverland wrote:
Murse09 wrote:
Hi there

I haven't got anything set up with any of the local shops yet - I still working on that possibility. Honestly, I'm still a bit overwhelmed will all this (first with my son's cancer and treatment and now with the generosity of the people around me). I do have a paypal account set up for people want - I can also message you my address to ship stuff too if you wanted to go that way.

Cheers,
Jamie

Don't want to hijack anything, but just putting the suggestion out there, that maybe we setup some sort of buying-by-proxy option.

I mean if it's difficult/costly for folks in say Mike's situation who want to support this to get games, maybe some local gamers could pick up products for "sponsors" and then be reimbursed afterwards??

Sounds like some sort of confusing Secret Santa, but trying to think of options
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm open to anything honestly.
I hope to be able to check with 1 or more local FLGS and see what we can do.

(Alternatively, what someone else has chosen to do is buy online, and have it shipped to my address)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea might be to have donations go through an online store (e.g. GermanGames.com*). After talking with the store owners, you could arrange it that people buy games online and state that the games are for the CHEO play room in the comments during check-out. That way, people can purchase games themselves, and then they can all be shipped together, with everything handled by the store (fewer 3rd parties involved).

* I mention that store because they have a flat-rate shipping of $9 within Ontario - and their prices are very competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Another idea might be to have donations go through an online store (e.g. GermanGames.com*). After talking with the store owners, you could arrange it that people buy games online and state that the game is for the CHEO play room. That way, people can purchase games themselves, and then they can all be shipped together, with everything handled by the store (fewer 3rd parties involved).

* I mention that store because they have a flat-rate shipping of $9 within Ontario - and their prices are very competitive.

they're a great store. So is Meeplemart.com (their shipping is $10 in Ontario). I try to talk with both asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE (8/2/12 - 5:50pm):

MEEPLEMART.COM: Steve at Meeplemart has set up a special offer code for this.
From now until Feb. 29 2012...
1) use the code CHEOPLAY2WIN
2) my address for the shipping (message me for it)
3) and select "Hold for more items"
You will receive 20% off their purchase, no shipping fees and the game(s) will will be shipped here for Cameron to present to CHEO.

Note: This code is only good for this charity drive and good only on orders that will be shipped to me for CHEO. The code can only be used on “regular priced items”- not items in my “Great Deals” section

THANKS STEVE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another person who's been helping me in the background with all this (and has probably put more effort in it than me) is Rick Beetham - THANKS RICK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike boucher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like it is coming together...I would suggest putting together a want list to summit to this guy steve, like a wedding gift reg, so once a game is bought it comes off the list to prevent doubles. so are all games being sent to you or being shipped direct to CHEO...cause my guy here will ship anywhere for $7 an dif more charity it would also wave this and give 10-15% off....however if these are the guys helping design the dice, or if they are also getting involved in the cause, or are your local boys, I would def. use them...so yeah let me know which games off the top so I can get this going for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis Cote
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jamie, I'd love to help, I propose to set up a table at Game Summit for new game donations, I'll also include a mention in our next newsletter to invite people to bring or purchase games from vendors to donate to CHEO. We'll place the table beside the Silent Auction for our new Games For School program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murse09 wrote:
Sounds like it is coming together...I would suggest putting together a want list to summit to this guy steve, like a wedding gift reg, so once a game is bought it comes off the list to prevent doubles. so are all games being sent to you or being shipped direct to CHEO...cause my guy here will ship anywhere for $7 an dif more charity it would also wave this and give 10-15% off....however if these are the guys helping design the dice, or if they are also getting involved in the cause, or are your local boys, I would def. use them...so yeah let me know which games off the top so I can get this going for you

Hey Mike,
Double are actually ok - CHEO has 10+ different playrooms these can be spread out across. The games should come here first and then on one of Cameron's days where he's feeling ok, we'll take them all down and present them at the same time.

Some ideas off the top of my head are:
Qwirkle
Hive
Carcassonne
Settler of Catan
10 days in...
Forbidden Island
Abalone
Castle Panic
Apples to Apples

I asked CHEO for a wish list, and they sent me a list of their most popular games...
Board games:
Scrabble
Guess Who
Catch Phrase
Connect 4
Master Mind
Candyland
Wii games:
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros
Sonic Colors
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
Wireless controllers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theotherside wrote:
Hey Jamie, I'd love to help, I propose to set up a table at Game Summit for new game donations, I'll also include a mention in our next newsletter to invite people to bring or purchase games from vendors to donate to CHEO. We'll place the table beside the Silent Auction for our new Games For School program.

Marquis! that would be great!
We're hoping to stop by the summit at least for part of a day if Cameron's up for it (He should be good for a bit since he'll be between Chemo treatments)

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike boucher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey....email me an address at mikeboucher@live.ca

and should I end this with?

Yours in Scouting?

Michael Boucher (Baloo/Scouter Mike retired from 23rd Sudbury)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Halden of FTL
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE (8/2/12 - 5:50pm):

MEEPLEMART.COM: Steve at Meeplemart has set up a special offer code for this.
From now until Feb. 29 2012...
1) use the code CHEOPLAY2WIN
2) my address for the shipping (message me for it)
3) and select "Hold for more items"
You will receive 20% off their purchase, no shipping fees and the game(s) will will be shipped here for Cameron to present to CHEO.

Note: This code is only good for this charity drive and good only on orders that will be shipped to me for CHEO. The code can only be used on “regular priced items”- not items in my “Great Deals” section

THANKS STEVE!

Fantastic. I am on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murse09 wrote:
hey....email me an address at mikeboucher@live.ca

and should I end this with?

Yours in Scouting?

Michael Boucher (Baloo/Scouter Mike retired from 23rd Sudbury)

Hi Mike,
Address send - thanks!
Cheers and YIS,
Scouter Jamie
(Former Akela of 4th Orleans Pack B, current Chief Scouter of 4th Orleans Dragon Troop)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
Hey there from Southern Ontario (haha)!

How bout a paypal addy to send a donation to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike boucher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SO IF I CAN....ANYONE CAN>>>Challenge is on people....who is sillier them me to buy more then 5 items...CHALLENGE

Apples to Apples Party Box - English Edition
Chutes and Ladders
Wii - Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Candy Land

and because i'm a Murse(male nurse)-->Operation - Reinvented

Order confirmed and on it's way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murse09 wrote:
SO IF I CAN....ANYONE CAN>>>Challenge is on people....who is sillier them me to buy more then 5 items...CHALLENGE

Chutes and Ladders
Candy Land

Wow... there's some generosity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murse09 wrote:

Chutes and Ladders
Candy Land

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jfro wrote:

Sent. THANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jfro wrote:

Sent. THANKS!

Shoot me one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Halden of FTL
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murse09 wrote:

Chutes and Ladders
Candy Land

Amazing. You are a great guy Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Doyle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your 5 and raise you 2 for a total of 7.

I tried to think of games that were quick and could involve a large number of people. Both very important I think.

The List:
No Thanks!
Werewolves of Millers Hollow
Hey! Thats My Fish
Forbidden Island
Wits and Wagers
Dixit
For Sale

Thats all my student budget could afford. Great idea, super excited for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.