Subject: Settlement Area - Citizens clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Maniatis
Australia
Canberra
A.C.T.
flag msg tools
My group played this evening and disagreed about the way the Citizens card was scored, as a result I agreed to ask the question on the BGG forums.

The issue was not really with the Citizens card but with the definition and application of 'Settlement area'. In the rules: 'Note: Settlement area = cluster of adjacent settlements belonging to one player.'

Interpretation 1:
A group of settlements, belonging to one player, that are all connected via being adjacent. This could be a clump of settlements, or a line of settlements, or a clump connected to a line etc.

Interpretation 2:
It was argued that the word 'cluster', when defining a settlement area, rules out a straight line of settlements being counted as a Settlement area (i.e. they are not 'clustered').

We scored by interpretation 1. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interpretation 1. It's about connectivity, not the shape formed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbilbey wrote:
Interpretation 1. It's about connectivity, not the shape formed

That is the way I have scored it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Of course it's about connectivity.

hali wrote:
Interpretation 2:
It was argued that the word 'cluster', when defining a settlement area, rules out a straight line of settlements being counted as a Settlement area (i.e. they are not 'clustered').

That second interpretation sounds crazily impractical to define in any reasonable coherent way. E.g. is a U-shape "clustered"? Is a ring "clustered"? Is a pair of touching houses (a short line) not a cluster since it's also a straight line?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mb
russ wrote:
Of course it's about connectivity.

That second interpretation sounds crazily impractical to define in any reasonable coherent way. E.g. is a U-shape "clustered"? Is a ring "clustered"? Is a pair of touching houses (a short line) not a cluster since it's also a straight line?

Agreed. I'm guessing whoever devised the second interpretation did so for their own scoring benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
Agreed. I'm guessing whoever devised the second interpretation did so for their own scoring benefit.

Or (perhaps less cynically) they are more "right-brained" than "left-brained" and not very experienced with math/logic/programming/etc and defining things clearly/formally...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buhr
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
Are two settlements considered connected if they share a location tile. Meaning two settlements don't touch each other directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
rb0435 wrote:
Are two settlements considered connected if they share a location tile. Meaning two settlements don't touch each other directly.

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.